Buck fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: Buck fever

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:07 am

I'm 58 years old and still get shakes after shot. Haven't gun hunted in many years. That adrenaline bleed off is awesome. Hope it never goes away. Control it till after shot. Hope it never goes away. When you get older you don't have much emotions. Unless it is bad news.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
WVArcher32

Unread postby WVArcher32 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:07 am

I used to get buck fever so bad in my teens when I first started hunting. Should have a few more on the wall but the fever got the best of me and I'd completely botch it. I still get a little shook up when a shooter is in sight, but I've learned to talk myself into being cool, calm, and collected. I usually say things to myself like, "it's good to be excited, but don't be too excited or you won't get this deer." I try to focus more on the shot, when to draw, etc. Don't look at antlers after initially noting he's a shooter.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:48 pm

I calm down for the shot but am always shaking before and the knees straight knocking after the shot. If I ever lose that feeling I will sell everything I own for hunting
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:13 pm

Bowtech1 wrote:I calm down for the shot but am always shaking before and the knees straight knocking after the shot. If I ever lose that feeling I will sell everything I own for hunting

My hands shake and teeth chatter. But, thats about it while I'm sitting shaking my head smiling and enjoying moment.

That would be on a good deer. If it falls within sight. I'm not that bad. But, you let a good come in an I shoot and he leaves and runs out of seeing distance. I sit there running shot through my head over an over. Shaking and enjoying moment.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:03 pm

I’ve shot does before and never would shake. Shot my first buck this year and oh man did I have buck fever. Maybe it’s because I have never taking a buck before but I was so excited. I will forever remember that day!
Bittybuilt

Unread postby Bittybuilt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm

I have learned to try and control my shakes until I get a shot off in archery but gun I can be worse. I actually was very calm when I shot my biggest buck 4 years ago until after I saw that luminock fly . I got really bad afterwards and could hardly text my brother after I shot. It was the only buck I would have shot that year. I saw him 9 times farming and once hunting the night I got him.

The first thing I try to do is when I see a buck I glass it and determine if it is one I will shoot. I don't look at the antlers after that.
I agree that without the after excitement I don't have as much reason to hunt
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:25 am

When a buck approaches I remain almost completely calm and focused except my heart is absolutely pounding... crazy feeling... and I love it! really it does just a little for pretty much any deer that comes in, but when it's a nice buck I want to shoot its pounding so hard I feel like the buck can hear it. I focus on the task at hand and the steps I need to take. 1. figure out my shooting window and try to get a range (if I haven't already) to determine which pin to use, 2. front hand placement on my grip, 3. draw to the proper anchor point, 4. pin placement on the buck and release at the right time. I am always hoping the deer will hang around a little while so I can take the shot after the heart pounding slows down, but I try to be ready in case that doesn't happen. I feel like focusing on those things has given me much greater success closing the deal, even if my heart is still pounding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”