Is in season scouting disrespectful?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nepabowhunter28

Is in season scouting disrespectful?

Unread postby Nepabowhunter28 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:13 pm

I punched my tag on the 30th... I’m currently brewing up some plans for a late season out of state hunt. Up until then I figured to full fill my addiction some scouting would have to do. I figured this would be a great time to learn some more of these public areas and what they’re doing during the rut. Is it disrespectful of me to Scout now??? I’m curious of what everyone’s thoughts would be.

“It’s lonely at the top, but I sure like the view.” -Charlie sheen
Jmitch

Re: Is in season scouting disrespectful?

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:26 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Now I wouldn't scout a piece when people were actually hunting. But scouting a place that nobody is in? I see no reason not to.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Disrespectful? Eff them! U think they give 2 craps about your goals? Now I wouldn’t go beating the bushes at prime time. But that’s more about the safety of bucks than some tree huggers feelings.

If your that concerned use cams wisely and observe from a distance. Personally (if tagged out early) o I like to wait till midday when most are out of the woods. Then I strategically place cameras and storm the gates. Gives me the answers I care about. Then again I’m very rarely tagged out early!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:38 pm

No. It's public land.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Depends how you go about it. If you see a guy up a tree on the edge of swamp bedding and you trapse by him and blow out the bedding he’s hunting expect some words coming your way. Just use common sense and youre all good.

Just cause it’s public doesn’t mean you shouldn’t exercise some common courtesy towards your fellow hunters. Id go midday.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am

Squirrel hunt while your scouting.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:11 am

Im very careful doing this. If I am not part of the solution of hunter respect I'm part of the problem. If nobody is there, go for it. If they are I give then the same courtesy I would appreciate. This may be one of 5x they have been out all year. I try to let everyone have their moment.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:39 am

Go early and see where everyone sets up. That's great data.

Then when they leave the woods at 930 or 10 am, go snooping around.

I wouldn't worry about scouting and messing folks up but when you bump that big buck, you take him out of his safety zone and he might get killed.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:50 am

100% you should scout - now if you see a truck parked somewhere perhaps go to another spot and give guys their space, but I would for sure be out scouting...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:05 am

It’s not disrespectful as long as you try hard to be respectful ;) avoid the spots where you think you’ll encounter people. I wouldn’t scout the first or last 2 hours of the day especially early to mid November.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:02 am

Scout mid day and make sure to wear your orange.
Swamp Beast

Unread postby Swamp Beast » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:08 am

Bowtech1 wrote:Squirrel hunt while your scouting.

This.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:16 am

With the way my life just is right now, I never seem to get any offseason scouting time. So I only scout in season. I just watch for pickup trucks. If I got to a general region with areas in mind. Then see if there's someone parked where I want to go. If there is, I move on to the next until I find a spot with no apparent sign of another hunter. Then, based on prior aerial and map reviews, make my way to locations pre-determined. Usually I find some kind of sign along the way, and I've gotten diverted to places that turned out to be useless, but I've gotten diverted to places where I had opportunities to make a kill. I think maybe every 1 out of 5-7 times I end up getting to where I originally planned and find sign and have a kill opportunity of some sort. I'm just still not real good at reading the immediate locale once there and I generally blow it when the opportunity is there because I'm set up wrong somehow. That's something that the only cure is getting more experience, which even during the season, is hard for me to come by. Work and life just seem to never allow me the time I'd like.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:02 am

I do it all of time and plan to do it again this Sunday. I'll bring a shotgun for the squirrel hunting excuse, LOL! But, I move very slow and very careful to detect and avoid other hunters. Binoculars help with this.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:16 am

I agree with pretty much what was already said. I scout mid season all the time but i approach it slow like I am still hunting and i avoid areas where other hunters are. I also go mid day.

Public land, you have every right to be out there preparing for next year as the people that are out there still hunting this year.
Kind of relates to that other topic on here about public land etiquette, i approach scouting the same way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”