The fixed blade craze?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: The fixed blade craze?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:47 am

Guess I never heard about the fixed blade craze. Like mentioned earlier they’ve been around forever. Only craze I saw was mechanicals that started about 20 years ago and then really took off with Rage.

Where people get into trouble with mechanicals is when they take risky shots, especially quartering severely. Most failures come from blades failing to open properly or if they do open the longer blades tend to glance off a rib. Seen that so many times resulting in lost deer. This is where a small diameter fixed blade with pinpoint accuracy will obviously have a much better chance penetrating exactly where aimed. If your taking perfect broadside or slight quartering shots any head will work. That goes without saying. I think a quality fixed blade is much more consistent in every way.

hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:02 am

I feel the craze isn't with fixed blades but with heavier coc or single bevel heads. I am in on this craze.

I would not lump the heavy single bevel hunters with the normal fixed blade hunters. These are two entirely different setups. Most guys who are going with the single bevels are getting the stiffer arrows, putting in heavier inserts, etc. This craze isn't with just broadheads though. It starts with the structural integrity of the arrow. And before that it starts with a well tuned bow.

I am all in on the ranch fairy process. I'd say the guys who tried it and said it failed or didn't like it, just tried skipping some of the steps. You CANNOT do this. You can throw a 300 grain broadhead on an arrow with a normal shaft and insert and you are probably going to have issues. But if I have a 200 grain broadhead and a 100 grain insert I just made that whole setup much more structural sound.

There's three types of broadhead guys out there: Expandables, Fixed Blades, and the fairy dusters
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:15 am

Hit the animal properly and both will work, especially with an arrow between 480 to 525 grain with decent FOC. I've used both and can say my swackers leave a HUGE exit wound. I've also used g5 montecs and had a deer drop dead actually face plant into a log 10 yards away. I must have hit an artery.

If your shooting a 500 grain arrow over 265 fps it's gonna blowntbrough a deer no problem
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:41 am

We should make a rule.

Anyone claiming that any particular brand of broadhead, type of broadhead, or overall arrow setup thereof, is garbage. Shall agree to stand and take one to the torso. Otherwise the accuser may show evidence of having done so on a past date, with an eyewitness sworn statement or video evidence thereof. Otherwise the aforementioned individual must refrain from repeating such sentiments henceforthward.

:lol:

Ok that’s morbid. Just kidding, happy hunting, kill em dead with whatever you shoot :D
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:12 am

Fixed blade is the original, not a craze. The mainstream media pushed mechanicals into the new hot thing.

Ill pass.
Ive shot G5 Montecs since i started bow hunting, ive had one doe make it 100 yards. Everything else ive ever shot has died within 75, most under 60. Mostly all great blood trails.
I will note that i do also hand sharpen mine, they never go on straight out of the package.

You couldn't pay me to shoot a mechanical
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:05 am

For the most part I can careless what head anyone shoots. That’s their problem! But what ticks me off his how these mechanical companies market. Who has time to tune….. just screw one of these on and go hunt. That’s garbage! A non tuned arrow does not perform well. You can shoot that same head but please take the few minutes necessary to tune your equipment to get maximum efficiency. There is no reason you should not blow through whitetails. Regardless how hard some try to make it seem like they have armor plating around the vitals. That just isn’t the case. You are shooting through thin hide and jello!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:31 am

I bought my bow used 5 years ago and it came with mechanicals. I used them until last year and have shot 5 -6 deer with them. I did not have one single passthrough. I switched to fixed this year with the hopes I'll have better passthrough percentage. So far I stuck one in the shoulder and it did not pass through, but I don't really expect that. I feel more confident shooting fixed so far.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:46 am

Wolfie needs to buy a Wisconsin tag and get back in the woods. :lol:
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:37 am

My quivers loaded with both fixed and mechanical
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:47 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Wolfie needs to buy a Wisconsin tag and get back in the woods. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing

Or…

Maybe he is having fun with the click bait header and eating popcorn :lol:
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:55 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Meh, this was the hole my Rage made right above my Bucks shoulder and exited out his armpit on the opposite side. Died within site, about a 30 yard death run.

I’ve used Rage since about 2009 exclusively and always get pass throughs? Hard to imagine guys aren’t as it doesn’t appear my arrow even slows down on its way right through. Sounds to me like guys aren’t tuning their bows cause an arrow tailing to one side or the other is a penetration killer.

I’ve thought about switching back due to the great marketing on Youtube and such with heads like Iron Will. It’s hard to not get caught up in it. But then i shoot a Buck with a Rage and i forget all about fixed blades again. :lol:

Shoot what you want but there is NO DOUBT mechanicals are lethal, even on shoulder blades as i’ve hit 1 or 2. Those bucks are still on my wall with the rest.

Here’s the hole with my $9.95 twelve pack Chinese fixed

blade. As a positive I’ve got another dozen shots or more to get out of these. So what are we talking about? Unless I’m bad wrong shot placement is all that matters. If u can’t make that happen no broadhead will save ya. Two 1.25 holes are better than one single 2” in my opinion. Will go as far to say u couldn’t pay me to shoot that junk. What’s the pro? Don’t learn how to shoot or tune a bow? Guess right up there with eff the wind and just hunt in my book. A game for idiots!

Pro is sometimes you make a poor shot and in the off chance you do you’ll likely find the deer. I have shot mechanical broadheads through plenty of deer scapula’s broke leg bones on the offside. Majority are passthrough’s only time they weren’t was going through deer the long way. Here is a scapula from a friends buck with a G5 mega meat. No penetration? Sounds like poor bow/arrow setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wolfie729 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:59 am

Jmitch wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Meh, this was the hole my Rage made right above my Bucks shoulder and exited out his armpit on the opposite side. Died within site, about a 30 yard death run.

I’ve used Rage since about 2009 exclusively and always get pass throughs? Hard to imagine guys aren’t as it doesn’t appear my arrow even slows down on its way right through. Sounds to me like guys aren’t tuning their bows cause an arrow tailing to one side or the other is a penetration killer.

I’ve thought about switching back due to the great marketing on Youtube and such with heads like Iron Will. It’s hard to not get caught up in it. But then i shoot a Buck with a Rage and i forget all about fixed blades again. :lol:

Shoot what you want but there is NO DOUBT mechanicals are lethal, even on shoulder blades as i’ve hit 1 or 2. Those bucks are still on my wall with the rest.

Here’s the hole with my $9.95 twelve pack Chinese fixed

blade. As a positive I’ve got another dozen shots or more to get out of these. So what are we talking about? Unless I’m bad wrong shot placement is all that matters. If u can’t make that happen no broadhead will save ya. Two 1.25 holes are better than one single 2” in my opinion. Will go as far to say u couldn’t pay me to shoot that junk. What’s the pro? Don’t learn how to shoot or tune a bow? Guess right up there with eff the wind and just hunt in my book. A game for idiots!

My hole is MUCH bigger :D

Serious question but is that where you think they are better? What do you see as the advantages over a quality fixed blade?

The advantage is if you hit one high, back, low your chances of recovering the deer are far higher. Now obviosuly dont try to make a poor shot on a deer but if you hit a stick, pull the shot, deer moves you name it. Odds are more in your favor than a tiny two blade fixed broadhead.
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:01 am

muddy wrote:Just here with popcorn and beer watching this blow up

Ya i figured itd be fun to start a chat :lol: :lol:
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 am

Huntress13 wrote:It's hunting season. Don't you have enough to do instead of opening up this old can of worms that is better left for the off season? :lol:

I shoot a fixed because I'm handicapped with a short draw and low poundage. Don't need any nonsense going on with a stupid mechanical.

I forgot i posted this I had a few “pops” before my post. Been a funny read
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 am

PK_ wrote:We should make a rule.

Anyone claiming that any particular brand of broadhead, type of broadhead, or overall arrow setup thereof, is garbage. Shall agree to stand and take one to the torso. Otherwise the accuser may show evidence of having done so on a past date, with an eyewitness sworn statement or video evidence thereof. Otherwise the aforementioned individual must refrain from repeating such sentiments henceforthward.

Ok that’s morbid. Just kidding, happy hunting, kill em dead with whatever you shoot :D

Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”