The fixed blade craze?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Re: The fixed blade craze?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Wolfie needs to buy a Wisconsin tag and get back in the woods. :lol:

This gave us a good laugh. Thats awesome!

Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:23 am

backstraps wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Wolfie needs to buy a Wisconsin tag and get back in the woods. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing

Or…

Maybe he is having fun with the click bait header and eating popcorn :lol:

Too many dad pops and boredom lead me to this :lol: :lol:
Earn what’s never given.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:38 am

wolfie729 wrote:
backstraps wrote:

I was thinking the same thing

Or…

Maybe he is having fun with the click bait header and eating popcorn :lol:

Too many dad pops and boredom lead me to this :lol: :lol:

I hear ya my man!! :lol: :lol:
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:34 am

Shot my black 3 tonight out to 50 since I couldn’t hunt.

Kudu, swacker and field point all in the circle.

Tune em up boys!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:45 pm

muddy wrote:Just here with popcorn and beer watching this blow up

Lol my thoughts when I seen this went 5 pages so far
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:57 pm

strehb18 wrote:One thing to remember is the broad head is the only thing actually doing the killing. It’s the last place you should skimp on quality. To me that means something well constructed, error proof and most importantly sharp. I think the biggest broadhead problem is 90% of people hunt with dull broadheads.

I agree! I only have the few deer I’ve shot with fixed heads to go by. I started really focusing on getting my heads super sharp… Watching my arrows zip right through deer and leave heavy blood trails has me being a believer in sharp, fixed blades.

I think at the end of the day though, people need to shoot what they’re going to be confident in. If that’s fixed blades, cool. If that’s mechanicals, cool. You don’t want to find yourself in the moment of truth worried about how your arrow is going to fly. Whatever you want to shoot, Sharpen those suckers and get after it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 pm

But if I don’t shoot mechanicals, what am I going to blame when I hit one and don’t find it? Can’t be my shot choice or shooting ability or not tuned bow I shoot 3 times a year.

Need to have something besides me to blame for my mistake.

At least this is the daily post on Facebook I see. Can’t be anything besides the broadhead :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:14 pm

I just thought of a new Beast product. A large single bevel head, that incorporates the mechanical parts of a rage. It could be like 250 grains. Best of both worlds. :lol:
I want a commission!

I know there are some hybrids on the market, just have not tested any of them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Jonny wrote:But if I don’t shoot mechanicals, what am I going to blame when I hit one and don’t find it? Can’t be my shot choice or shooting ability or not tuned bow I shoot 3 times a year.

Need to have something besides me to blame for my mistake.

At least this is the daily post on Facebook I see. Can’t be anything besides the broadhead :lol:

Your bow or shaft would be my guess! Kinda like fishing…. If u don’t murder them u r using the wrong hook or the boat is painted the wrong color. Also forgot u might not have thought about wearing fish Camo
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 am

hcooper84 wrote:I feel the craze isn't with fixed blades but with heavier coc or single bevel heads. I am in on this craze.

I would not lump the heavy single bevel hunters with the normal fixed blade hunters. These are two entirely different setups. Most guys who are going with the single bevels are getting the stiffer arrows, putting in heavier inserts, etc. This craze isn't with just broadheads though. It starts with the structural integrity of the arrow. And before that it starts with a well tuned bow.

I am all in on the ranch fairy process. I'd say the guys who tried it and said it failed or didn't like it, just tried skipping some of the steps. You CANNOT do this. You can throw a 300 grain broadhead on an arrow with a normal shaft and insert and you are probably going to have issues. But if I have a 200 grain broadhead and a 100 grain insert I just made that whole setup much more structural sound.

There's three types of broadhead guys out there: Expandables, Fixed Blades, and the fairy dusters

I’m all about hunters shooting what they have confidence in. So by all means if u enjoy the koolaide grip it and rip it. Personally have already gone down that road and reached a point of wondering what the heck am I doing. Using heavy inserts are pointless. Just buy the head weight u want and cut costs. If your into the structural integrity inserts/footings don’t change anything. It just slightly changes the point of vulnerability. Shaft still breaks just as easy where the insert ends. Most folks here are not chasing black rhinos. Really doesn’t take much to blow through a deer. Haven’t noticed this great spike in kill numbers the past few years since a fairy came on the scene.
-John Wayne-
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:58 am

RAGE ALL DAY!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am

Fixed it has no mechanical parts that can fail.

While I don't think we need a heavy arrow setup for deer just grab some Magnus 125s and call it a day.

Made in the USA.

In the past I've shot g5 fixed montec, rage mechanicals and muzzy fixed. After watching thp shoot many bucks not getting pass through with mechanicals why would anyone shoot a mechanical head.

I'm sure iron will and others make good heads but I can buy two packs of magnus for that.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:02 am

Another key broadhead factor regardless of type people forget about is make sure the thing is super sharp. Sand paper and buffing compound are dirt cheap and will take them to another level.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:23 am

Not me, mechanical is all I will use. Less likely to have a failed opening than a crappy flight. Gold tip pierce platinum with a 125 grain swacker. 46 yards this year snapped the arrow in half on the opposite shoulder. Didn’t go 20!! Lol. I hate fixed heads. Crappy accuracy, sideways arrows on a close shot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:58 am

Crappy accuracy is due to crappy archer. Don’t blame the head. Put it in a hooter shooter which removes crappy form and tune and see what happens.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”