Rut Report

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Re: Rut Report

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 am

Cameras in central Wisconsin really picked up yesterday with plenty of mid day movement. I was working but had a family member that was hunting and he reported good activity with mature bucks on their feet. He is hunting one buck in particular and had a difficult pass on a different great buck yesterday but also saw his target buck on his feet during day light. Should keep getting better for rut activity, especially while this cold front hangs around. Should warm up by Sunday, really hoping that doesnt slow things down much. Good luck!

Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:28 am

It was only a matter of time here in SE WI. Today is historically the day I see the bigger guys out during the middle of the day. The last week I have seen them up an hour or so before dark and only light scent checking, but today it’s full go and they are staying locked on. Skipped the morning to catch up some sleep, I’ll be grinding Thursday through Sunday when I’m not working.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 am

As per usual- day walkers really increased on 10/31. Bucks are really up and on their feet here in upstate NY.
Ryan
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:25 am

My buddy and I have seen 9 locked down breeding pairs in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota since 10/28.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:41 am

Well the cold weather finally arrived. I was excited until I realized it came with heavy rain. Wanted to hunt but elected not to since it was a downpour this morning. Instead I checked a few cameras.

Still haven’t seen any of the better stuff come through in daylight. Lots of 2 and 3 year olds are starting to get on their feet at all hours of the day. Last year I didn’t get the first wave of big boys until the 12th. Still plan on hunting when the rain stops but gonna continue to stay out of the primo stuff until the 12th.

Still haven’t seen any road kill and doe seem pretty relaxed in larger groups. I prefer when those groups get cut and start seeing single doe that repetitively watch their backside
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:45 am

Getting some good movement WNW Michigan. Smaller bucks doing some chasing, no eyes on any shooters yet but just a matter of time. Work has lot to do with it and not able to get out as much. Funny thing- still seeing doe groups hanging out. Seems odd.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Supposed to head to Ohio Sunday. That's been the "plan"

I think I'm pulling the plug till gun season. This week has been brutal.

Started good with 2 mature midday cruisers Saturday. Monday and Tuesday I didn't even see a deer. Wednesday I had a decent buck bump a doe and fawn. Of course they wanted nothing to do with him and he went the other direction. Saw a little 1.5yo this morning. 4 bucks and 3 does in 5 days.

I know a lot of good hunters here in PA and a few guys in Ohio right now and it's very spotty and sporadic at best.

The guys in Ohio report pressure is higher than last year and I thought it was borderline ridiculous lol.

I don't know what's going on. I've put serious miles on my legs and truck. Covered vastly different habitats and locations..different tactics....don't know what to do except keep putting in time.

Next week is also warmer temperature wise. I just don't know that a trip is worthwhile right now. Stay home and keep plugging away and hopefully fill my PA tag and goto Ohio for gun season seems like the logical answer.

Frustrated. Wait and look forward to this all year and it's a flop. Not even seeing 1.5yos walking aimlessly like zombies. Usually they are everywhere and chasing anything that looks like a doe.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:06 pm

Wife and I took our pup for a walk this afternoon in a refuge area closed to hunting. Had a doe come running past us with a group of three bucks chasing her. One was really nice and the other two were young bucks. Never had a clue we were there and all had that typical rut crazed look in their eyes. I would say things are pretty hot right now.

Shortly after another buck trotted through a different area and jumped two bedded does then took off chasing them.

Been also seeing a lot of bucks out cruising field edges midday while driving around the last few days.

Pretty cool all the rut action I’ve been witnessing and not even hunting. 8-)
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Saw a buck at 10 a.m. from my back door, on the edge of a field on the neighbor's farm. He looked at me, then my dog was hopping around and he hopped off.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:11 pm

I ended up seeing 5 different bucks locked down with does yesterday in my travels in NE Iowa/SE MN.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:59 am

God almighty….. Just opened my side door and seen an absolute giant bedded against my picket fence. I’m not a measuring antler type fellow. But based on what others score and post I would say I have killed a couple in the mid 150s. That being said….. I believe this sucker was high 170s plus. I didn’t know if I should run in and grab my camera phone or my bow. Big antlers have a way of changing a mans perspective. I texted a few folks about the situation. Honestly glad he eased off when my dog started barking. I’m prone to making stupid decisions lol
-John Wayne-
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Had a nice 8 pointer step out onto the trail 20 yards in front of me at 2pm today on my walk in on public land in WI. They are definitely getting stupid!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:04 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:Had a nice 8 pointer step out onto the trail 20 yards in front of me at 2pm today on my walk in on public land in WI. They are definitely getting stupid!

Stupid is where I like to handle my business. Makes me feel better about myself :lol:
-John Wayne-
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Had a nice 8 pointer step out onto the trail 20 yards in front of me at 2pm today on my walk in on public land in WI. They are definitely getting stupid!

Stupid is where I like to handle my business. Makes me feel better about myself :lol:

This dumb teenager just stepped out right
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Realize everyone hunts different conditions. But for me and my situation I can get a crack at the teens any time of the season. The top end bucks aka best of the best take something special. Your not going to slip in on them without them knowing. It takes something special to put them in harms way. Nothing like the once a year dip in the ole honey pot to swing the odds in my favor. Haven’t even stepped foot in the woods around here yet. Waiting patiently…….Wanna make sure they are good and stupid before I push all my chips in :lol:
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”