Hunting sight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Re: Hunting sight

Unread postby wolfie729 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 pm

Black Gold ascent ambush 1 pin. I will never go back to a multi been using this same sight for years. Well sold it on my last bow because the new bow owner “had to have it” turned around bought the same sight for my new bow love it.

Earn what’s never given.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:57 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I have used a Tru Glo 3 pin site on my DXT since the day i bought the bow in 2009. It cost like $20 back then i think they might be $30 now. It’s got i’d bet around 30 kills under its belt in those 13 years. Used it to kill my buck this year.

Bow sites are pretty basic. Set the pins and forget about it and it will get the job done.

I agree with this. I've had to replace my sight twice since I'm a bit too rough on it and I've just gone with the cheap Tru Glo each time. I've never had any issues with the sight.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Atimm693

Unread postby Atimm693 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:05 am

IQ Define, the one with a rangefinder built in.

It's not the easiest to set up, but has worked well for me. Seems to range fairly accurately and repeatably. It's a 5 pin, but I removed two of them, 15, 25, and 35 yard pins are all I need.

Even if the rangefinder quits, it's still a nice sight with micro adjustments. I also like that you still have a traditional sight if the battery quits.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:04 am

I shot a $30 truglo for years. Never ever had an issue with it even dropped bow out of tree once landed on the sight and was still dead on. Pins are super bright even in low light conditions
Recluse

Unread postby Recluse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:53 am

Killed most of mine with a MBG Ascent Verdict (single pin, vertical).

On my new bow, I started using the SH Fast Eddie XL single pin and feel as if it's higher quality than the MBG and will probably use that on future bows
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:28 pm

Bowtech1 wrote:I shot a $30 truglo for years. Never ever had an issue with it even dropped bow out of tree once landed on the sight and was still dead on. Pins are super bright even in low light conditions

I'm sure the trueglo is a decent sight but the pins are plastic not metal. If hunting areas with alot of brush plastic pins can get ripped ,broken. To me this would mess up my hunt where a metal pin I could still hunt.

Another bonus to the Black Gold is pins are lifetime.
If one ever breaks its replaced.

A Rush sight on sale isn't much more.
I think I gave 60 for mine on sale when I bought my bow.

I'm sure the trugo works fine.
But the sight is so vital it wouldn't be the place I'd want to try to cut cost on a bow. The whisker biscuit or Quiver are much better areas to keep the cost down.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Bowtech1 wrote:I shot a $30 truglo for years. Never ever had an issue with it even dropped bow out of tree once landed on the sight and was still dead on. Pins are super bright even in low light conditions

I'm sure the trueglo is a decent sight but the pins are plastic not metal. If hunting areas with alot of brush plastic pins can get ripped ,broken. To me this would mess up my hunt where a metal pin I could still hunt.

But the sight is so vital it wouldn't be the place I'd want to try to cut cost on a bow. The whisker biscuit or Quiver are much better areas to keep the cost down.

Not true, mine are metal with plastic fiber optics running through them. Same as any other more expensive site. Mine has been used literally problem free since 2009 in any type of hunting scenario, swamp, thicket, brush you can think off including dropping my bow halfway down the tree causing it to smack up against the tree HARD when i caught my pull up rope. Site was unscathed.

A guy simply doesnt have to spend $200 to get a reliable site. Now, if someone was so inclined to go buy a $200 spot hogg by all means, have fun with it youre getting a great site no doubt and its your hard earned money. But just throwing it out there that you most definitely can spend $30 and get a great site. Mine went on a brand new $900 (at the time) Mathews DXT and I havent found a need to replace it yet.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:55 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:

Pins on mine were metal. Housing was plastic. Ridiculously tough sight. I shoot a spot Hogg and an extreme archery sight now on my two bows but that tru glow had brighter pins than either of them. Would not hesitate to shoot one again
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:59 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

Not true, mine are metal with plastic fiber optics running through them. Same as any other more expensive site. Mine has been used literally problem free since 2009 in any type of hunting scenario, swamp, thicket, brush you can think off including dropping my bow halfway down the tree causing it to smack up against the tree HARD when i caught my pull up rope. Site was unscathed.

A guy simply doesnt have to spend $200 to get a reliable site. Now, if someone was so inclined to go buy a $200 spot hogg by all means, have fun with it youre getting a great site no doubt and its your hard earned money. But just throwing it out there that you most definitely can spend $30 and get a great site. Mine went on a brand new $900 (at the time) Mathews DXT and I havent found a need to replace it yet.

I had a truglo on my old bow.
My model sight was plastic hmm.
Must have a different model.

I still shoot a truglo release and like it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”