Old Buck Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Evan_Outdoors

Old Buck Rubs

Unread postby Evan_Outdoors » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 am

Hey beast members,
I feel kind of dumb asking this but I just want to make sure I’m not missing stuff. I just walked through two little chunks of trees in the middle of a large ag field that was beans this year. I found some little rubs bit also some trees that look beat up and curious if it’s just something wrong with tree or if I’m looking at an old rub. Let me know what you think and sorry for my ignorance in this subject.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Old Buck Rubs

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 am

Look like old rubs to me. Those transitions along a field edge like that are notorious for sign and rubs. One thing to keep in mind though is the trees expand a bit over the last couple years and the rub expands also. The height of the rub is still the key though. Good find! Now see if there are fresh ones!
Evan_Outdoors

Unread postby Evan_Outdoors » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:35 am

There were some fresh rubs that were smaller but this area of trees was surrounded by beans this year. I’m thinking when it’s corn it could be much better. There’s a large drainage ditch nearby as well. I’ve heard of a few big bucks in the area but it’s wide open farm country and I’m trying to crack the code!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 am

Yes the only other time trees will look like that is if they got hit by a tractor/ equipment years ago. But the ones pictured are old rubs. Keep tabs on new rubs you find and watch how they age from year to year on different tree types.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”