Fat, Corn Drunk, Low IQ, Private Land Midwestern Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Fat, Corn Drunk, Low IQ, Private Land Midwestern Deer

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Is one of these scenarios more respectable, legit, deserving of recognition? Or do they both stack the odds a little too high in ones favor?

Killing a big mature buck over a bait pile with a bow during early season.

Killing a big mature buck in a standing bean field with a muzzleloader during super cold late season.

Strategically Inefficient
Dewey

Re: Fat, Corn Drunk, Low IQ, Private Land Midwestern Deer

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:28 pm

If it’s legal I really don’t care. Too each their own. Not everybody hunts at the same level or under the same circumstances.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Dewey wrote:If it’s legal I really don’t care. Too each their own. Not everybody hunts at the same level or under the same circumstances.

Couldn’t agree more. And if it’s legal, whether I agree with it or not, it needs to stay legal. Because once stuff starts becoming illegal, next thing you know, hunting is illegal.

I’ve realized this where I live especially. Hunting with dogs is legal here, during peak rut most years. I do not like it one bit, but I don’t want to see anyone try to outlaw it. Slippery slope.
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Stingray713 wrote:Is one of these scenarios more respectable, legit, deserving of recognition? Or do they both stack the odds a little too high in ones favor?

Killing a big mature buck in a standing bean field with a muzzleloader during super cold late season.

yes. no.

From the same enclosed heated stand? Then they are about the same.

If out in nature's elements I give it to the hunter in the super cold late season. Writing from experience. Early bow season is like a vacation in the woods, super cold late season is more like a survival situation.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Drich wrote:
Stingray713 wrote:Is one of these scenarios more respectable, legit, deserving of recognition? Or do they both stack the odds a little too high in ones favor?

yes. no.

If out in nature's elements I give it to the hunter in the super cold late season. Writing from experience. Early bow season is like a vacation in the woods, super cold late season is more like a survival situation.

Idk man early season in Aug, zone A in south FL is a lot like naked and afraid.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:28 pm

PK_ wrote:
Drich wrote:

yes. no.

They ever film that show when the temps are in the single digits? Try out the show Alone for some cold weather.
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Stingray713 wrote:
Dewey wrote:If it’s legal I really don’t care. Too each their own. Not everybody hunts at the same level or under the same circumstances.

Couldn’t agree more. And if it’s legal, whether I agree with it or not, it needs to stay legal. Because once stuff starts becoming illegal, next thing you know, hunting is illegal.

I’ve realized this where I live especially. Hunting with dogs is legal here, during peak rut most years. I do not like it one bit, but I don’t want to see anyone try to outlaw it. Slippery slope.

That is a good point.

People that want to destroy our way of life will start with the outliers. The easy to attack portions of hunting.

Bear hunting and hunting with dogs are likely the targets that will be called upon first. (I can't remember which celebrity hunter spoke on this)

We may all have qualms and correlations towards each others ways of hunting but we need to be a unified front. Even if you don't understand the man who likes to sit on the tailgate and wait for his dogs to bark doesn't mean he isn't a hunter.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:59 pm

Drich wrote:
PK_ wrote:
Drich wrote:

yes. no.

They ever film that show when the temps are in the single digits? Try out the show Alone for some cold weather.

It was just a joke man. I watch alone and I have hunted in single digits.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 am

I have killed bucks from in the 90s to negative 20 temps here in Ohio. They both have the same equally opposite set of challenges. Can a corn pile increase someone's odds? Yes it can. Just like a hot oak tree or bean field can increase your odds.

As long as folks are out there doing things legally and ethically then so be it. Not everyone does things the same way or has the same set of personal challenges. Theirs the guy that has all the free time in world that can grind it out till seasons end. Theirs the guy that only has 4 days all season to hunt and then theirs guys with disabilities that are lucky to get in the woods.

I hunt both public and private what you call fat drunk low IQ deer and I can tell you they are non of those things. Well fat maybe but that's about it. They're just as smart as any deer out there just pressured less than some public areas. I know private farms that get as much or more pressure than some of the most heavily hunted public lands around.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:00 am

Bowtech1 wrote:I have killed bucks from in the 90s to negative 20 temps here in Ohio. They both have the same equally opposite set of challenges. Can a corn pile increase someone's odds? Yes it can. Just like a hot oak tree or bean field can increase your odds.

As long as folks are out there doing things legally and ethically then so be it. Not everyone does things the same way or has the same set of personal challenges. Theirs the guy that has all the free time in world that can grind it out till seasons end. Theirs the guy that only has 4 days all season to hunt and then theirs guys with disabilities that are lucky to get in the woods.

I hunt both public and private what you call fat drunk low IQ deer and I can tell you they are non of those things. Well fat maybe but that's about it. They're just as smart as any deer out there just pressured less than some public areas. I know private farms that get as much or more pressure than some of the most heavily hunted public lands around.

Ohio deer fall in line with the Northeast subspecies, smart as they come. I was thinking more about the Dakotas region subspecies. And I’m sure the deer there are just as smart too. Just not as paranoid as deer in highly pressured areas.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:02 am

Apples and oranges. Just stay within the legal parameters of your area and don’t sugar coat things to make yourself look better.

Everybody has their own challenges out hunting. Trying to make it seem like you have it tougher than everybody else just sounds like excuses to me. Go make it happen like everybody else does.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”