Hunting a creek bottom

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Recluse

Hunting a creek bottom

Unread postby Recluse » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 am

My neighbor is on 6 acres and recently gave me permission to hunt it. His property includes a ridge, which drops off at 45 degrees into a creek bottom. Total elevation change probably 20 feet at the most I would guess.

The entire creek bottom is probably 4 acres. The issue is the deer all seem to bed at the creek bottom. That's where a lot of the oaks are.

Am I going to be forced to stay at the outskirts and hope they wonder out? Unfortunately I can't hunt from the top of the ridge, as that puts me within 50y of the neighbor's house.

Is this more of a morning or evening setup? My understanding is that creek bottoms spell trouble for scent control, unless the wind is blowing down the creek?

My second year deer hunting and trying to learn more. I've attached a pic from the creek bottom, showing the ridge too (in red)
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Hunting a creek bottom

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 am

Im dealing with that issue too in one of the areas I hunt. The wind/thermals etc. can get to swirling in those creek or marsh bottoms and its just a pain. That's why they bed there.
If your not able to get any intel from cameras or earlier observation sits, if there is sign in there and you feel good about it- I would just get in there and see what happens. Bring milkweed and set up accordingly. Try a morning, give it a couple days then try an evening. If nothing, I would leave it alone for a couple weeks like into early November, and try it again. In the meantime I'm scouting and checking for fresh sign in other areas and throw sits at those. Just rotate and cycle through areas.
Recluse

Re: Hunting a creek bottom

Unread postby Recluse » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:25 am

Thank you. Just got some milkweed and will try that as well

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”