Would you dive in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrdeerhuntr

Would you dive in?

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:10 am

I am hunting a spot where i scouted about a month ago and found tons of sign and big sign. rubs up to my chest, trees shredded a couple scrapes. problem was it didn't open until this weekend. scouting last week the sign did not appear to be freshened up so I sat an observation the day before it opened and nothing came out so i didn't hunt that area this weekend. I scouted today on my lunch break and there was no new fresh sign and i figured out why. Someone had set up a stand right in the middle of it. I decided to scout another area 300 yards away and found 2 crapes on the field edge leading to a marshy point. One was covered in the leaves and the other was clear and fresh tracks in it.

The question is the wind is good right now, but suppose to die down and then eventually maybe turn into the bedding right at closing time. Should I risk going in there tonight or wait until later in the week or early next week when the wind is more favorable?

E72
500 Club

Re: Would you dive in?

Unread postby E72 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 am

You could wait or you can take a shot . Check the wind as you walk in with milkweed . Try to setup with a just off wind unless your set on specific tree or ground set . A week is a long time when you have competition .
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am

E72 wrote:You could wait or you can take a shot . Check the wind as you walk in with milkweed . Try to setup with a just off wind unless your set on specific tree or ground set . A week is a long time when you have competition .

X2 I’d jump in immediately. It’s a race at this point. You can’t count on that other hunter to wait on a perfect wind either.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:10 am

If it’s looking like the wind will be less than favorable, then there’s a good chance it ruins your hunt. I’ve had multiple sits this year where I’ve gotten screwed by the wind. One I knew I was walking into a potential disaster, the other two hunts went south unpredictably when I should have had a decent wind.
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 am

Well I am out here, wind is good now, we will see what happens
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 am

Shoot straight!!!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am

Good luck!
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 am

Stick a good one!
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Well no one home tonight, wind was good the whole time. When it died at 545 thermal pull was toward the big slough to the south. Beautiful night to be out, sometimes the big one just doesn't come through.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”