Logging roads/clearings and wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Logging roads/clearings and wind

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 am

Small openings in the timber

Logging roads

Lots of evergreen species

How far from the edge to be safe from goofy wind back draft type issue. What do you generally notice?

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Hunter74

Re: Logging roads/clearings and wind

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 am

That can vary greatly with the different variables :doh: . I don’t notice logging roads making too much happen with the wind because they’re usually pretty narrow and still have canopy over the top. A larger clear strip such as a power line or gas line cut can do some weird things especially when it’s dense vegetation on both sides such as pine. I’m usually 20 yards off the edge in that situation and sometimes that still isn’t enough. Also keep in mind with a wind perpendicular it’s a given it’ll tend to swirl or tumble in the open strip and if the wind is blowing parallel to the clear strip and fairly steady you shouldn’t have too many problems. However if it’s a gusty day with parallel wind, as the wind dies then begins to pick back up it will push your sent away from the clearing while it’s gaining velocity but once it’s up to speed it will suck your scent back out to the clear strip. I believe this is because wind picks up more speed in the clear strip compared to in the vegetation around it creating sort of a suction or vacuum…I don’t hunt large or long clearings on gusty day’s anymore cus of this.

Small clearings to me seem easier, count on them to swirl and stay off on the downwind side far enough to not get caught in the swirl. I’ve also found in some situations you can play it a little closer to the edge of the opening by sitting the “just off” downwind edge. What I mean by this is say you have an oval shaped opening in the timber going north and south. With a northwest wind I would sit the northeast edge, with a southwest wind I would sit the southeast edge etc. this way your on the downwind side but your also not in the windstream hitting the opening and potentially doing goofy things.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: Logging roads/clearings and wind

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:17 am

Hunter74 wrote:That can vary greatly with the different variables :doh: . I don’t notice logging roads making too much happen with the wind because they’re usually pretty narrow and still have canopy over the top. A larger clear strip such as a power line or gas line cut can do some weird things especially when it’s dense vegetation on both sides such as pine. I’m usually 20 yards off the edge in that situation and sometimes that still isn’t enough. Also keep in mind with a wind perpendicular it’s a given it’ll tend to swirl or tumble in the open strip and if the wind is blowing parallel to the clear strip and fairly steady you shouldn’t have too many problems. However if it’s a gusty day with parallel wind, as the wind dies then begins to pick back up it will push your sent away from the clearing while it’s gaining velocity but once it’s up to speed it will suck your scent back out to the clear strip. I believe this is because wind picks up more speed in the clear strip compared to in the vegetation around it creating sort of a suction or vacuum…I don’t hunt large or long clearings on gusty day’s anymore cus of this.

Small clearings to me seem easier, count on them to swirl and stay off on the downwind side far enough to not get caught in the swirl. I’ve also found in some situations you can play it a little closer to the edge of the opening by sitting the “just off” downwind edge. What I mean by this is say you have an oval shaped opening in the timber going north and south. With a northwest wind I would sit the northeast edge, with a southwest wind I would sit the southeast edge etc. this way your on the downwind side but your also not in the windstream hitting the opening and potentially doing goofy things.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”