What's a world class buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

What's a world class buck?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:56 am

Maybe this has been discussed before and I missed it. The more I hear this term "world class buck" the more I wonder what the heck does that mean? :think:

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: What's a world class buck?

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:04 am

I believe the benchmark for this term is 200”.
I’m no expert in 200” deer, but seems about right to me.
Ryan
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 am

Matter of opinion.

Agree that it would have to be something north of 200” and NOT killed within a fenced enclosure or a highly managed farm like the Drurys have as he just killed like a 210” deer, which don’t count.

There are a lot of fair chase 170-190 deer killed every year. Well, maybe not a lot north of 190 but you gotta cut it off somewhere so 200” definitely puts a deer at “World Class” imo.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 am

This is a good question, I was thinking about this the other day. My thought was more, “what is a big buck”? Well it’s hard to say really because each area is different. World class I’m my book would probably be Boone and Crockett. Growing up we always talked about “buck of a lifetime”. Well I would say that’s a little lower bar as only a small % of hunters kill B&C. So to me growing up in Michigan, a buck of a lifetime is a 150 plus buck. Most average hunters in Michigan will never even see a 150. Some of the southern counties they are more common and numbers seem to be growing. But you kill a 150 in Michigan, that’s a true trophy that most will only do once.
So for me
World Class = B&C
Buck of a lifetime = 150+
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:54 am

It’s a matter of opinion, but I’d also agree that any boone and crockett is a world class deer. World class means something almost nobody would pass. In order to get to 170, a deer has to be genetically blessed and somehow make it through several seasons. But it’s a monster deer anywhere you go in the country.

I’d also agree, that deer of a lifetime is relative to the particular hunter, their experience and their location. A 130” in certain parts of the country (Florida, Louisiana) could be the buck of a lifetime. Or for a guy in Iowa that works 80-100 hours a week and has 5 kids and hunts a few times a year on a tiny family parcel.

I live in Illinois and have had access to some better than decent property in the past. I have seen one 170 and one 180 in 24 years of hunting. I will never see a 200” deer, but I’ll eventually see another booner before I hang it up.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:54 am

I’m not so bright.I guess I don’t know what “world class” means. Just defining that term would help.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:06 am

Booners are world class imo. That would be my bench mark because I have never laided eyes on one on huntable land in the wild. No hunting areas I have seen them
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am

Something that is truly remarkable for that area and probably will never be repeated again.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am

Booners
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 am

Net Booners
Strategically Inefficient
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:10 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Matter of opinion.

Agree that it would have to be something north of 200” and NOT killed within a fenced enclosure or a highly managed farm like the Drurys have as he just killed like a 210” deer, which don’t count.

There are a lot of fair chase 170-190 deer killed every year. Well, maybe not a lot north of 190 but you gotta cut it off somewhere so 200” definitely puts a deer at “World Class” imo.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the drury deer doesn’t count. As managed as it is, it’s still a wild, free-roaming deer. Would I give it as much merit as a small time hunter shooting the same deer, probably not. But it’s still a world class deer.

Hypothetically, what if a neighboring landowner shot that buck instead of the drury’s? Would it be a world class deer then? Or if it chased a doe a mile or two miles away and someone shot it, is it world class then?

There’s more than one way to skin this cat in killing monster deer. If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars to do it (still free ranging) then that is their method in getting it done. To clarify I don’t like that method because it is very unrelatable to the majority of hunters, but I can’t discredit it either.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am

hcooper84 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Matter of opinion.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the drury deer doesn’t count. As managed as it is, it’s still a wild, free-roaming deer. Would I give it as much merit as a small time hunter shooting the same deer, probably not. But it’s still a world class deer.

Hypothetically, what if a neighboring landowner shot that buck instead of the drury’s? Would it be a world class deer then? Or if it chased a doe a mile or two miles away and someone shot it, is it world class then?

There’s more than one way to skin this cat in killing monster deer. If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars to do it (still free ranging) then that is their method in getting it done. To clarify I don’t like that method because it is very unrelatable to the majority of hunters, but I can’t discredit it either.

Agreed. Mark Drury, Lee Lakosky, Bill Winke, those guys are just DIY on another level. Not for me, I enjoy hunting, not so much the farming. But those guys have still forgotten more about big bucks than Ill probably ever know.
Strategically Inefficient
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:34 am

World Class to me means a buck that could possibly challenge the current world record. I would never call a net Booner world class unless it was exceeding 200”.
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:35 am

I think the term "world class" is absurd to be honest. Different parts of the country produce varying sizes due to a multitude of variables. A monster in one state could be a "passer" in another. I know for me 130s/140s is an absolute monster
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 am

ill see if i can find my older computer but i used to have pics of a super buck im sure would be north of 160/ and iffy 170 in all public big woods of Arkansas and id consider it a lifetime deer from around my area. that would likely be the definition is a monster buck from the area you are frequenting but id consider any mature deer to be a trophy. have several the family and i have killed in my grandparents game room hanging ill get some pics of and post next time I'm down there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”