Pheasant hunting pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elGuapo

Pheasant hunting pressure

Unread postby elGuapo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:46 am

So, I went for an afternoon/evening sit in some public that I've been scouting. Nice mix of swamp around the edges. woods, and fields... some fields natural, some planted in corn. Decent sign along the field edges. Picked a spot that was in the woods off a corn field. A nice corridor in the woods between the field edge and the thick. Ready for some evening traffic.

Then I was reminded that this public is stocked with pheasant. The orange army came out in force. Started feeling a bit nervous. I actually heard the pellets from a shot-gun blast hit the leaves probably 150 yards away. Time to get out of Dodge. Hugged my tree until the coast was clear and then made my way out.

My bad for sure. But I'm kind of new to this and didn't understand the implications of the pheasant season.

I'm guessing that this pressure will push the deer deeper into the swamp and/or woods until well after dark, even if they aren't being hunted directly by this particular orange army. Might be that I can use this pressure to my advantage. Any thoughts on how the deer will react to this kind of pressure? How far are they likely to move away from somewhat steady shotgun blasts. I have scouted the marsh area and there are significant deer trails there... I just haven't pushed that deep yet.

I know nothing of pheasant hunting. Those hunters were certainly in the fields, but will they head into the woods and marsh areas? I'm thinking I would go deep and perhaps stay on the ground to avoid any shots to the air.... and wear my orange.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Pheasant hunting pressure

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:57 am

elGuapo wrote:So, I went for an afternoon/evening sit in some public that I've been scouting. Nice mix of swamp around the edges. woods, and fields... some fields natural, some planted in corn. Decent sign along the field edges. Picked a spot that was in the woods off a corn field. A nice corridor in the woods between the field edge and the thick. Ready for some evening traffic.

Then I was reminded that this public is stocked with pheasant. The orange army came out in force. Started feeling a bit nervous. I actually heard the pellets from a shot-gun blast hit the leaves probably 150 yards away. Time to get out of Dodge. Hugged my tree until the coast was clear and then made my way out.

My bad for sure. But I'm kind of new to this and didn't understand the implications of the pheasant season.

I'm guessing that this pressure will push the deer deeper into the swamp and/or woods until well after dark, even if they aren't being hunted directly by this particular orange army. Might be that I can use this pressure to my advantage. Any thoughts on how the deer will react to this kind of pressure? How far are they likely to move away from somewhat steady shotgun blasts. I have scouted the marsh area and there are significant deer trails there... I just haven't pushed that deep yet.

I know nothing of pheasant hunting. Those hunters were certainly in the fields, but will they head into the woods and marsh areas? I'm thinking I would go deep and perhaps stay on the ground to avoid any shots to the air.... and wear my orange.

I don’t know about pheasants but the rabbit hunters here with the dogs run off a lot of deer. I always stay hopeful but it has yet to work in my favor
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:34 am

I hunt a spot like this early season and have learned to abandon it after the pheasant and duck hunters get in there.

Both those groups COMPLETELY run the deer right out of this area. The pheasant hunters push right into the cattail edges which drives the deer in deep into the cattails. Right up to the edges where cattails meet water like sloughs, ponds, lakes,etc and then of course the duck hunters banging oars on boats, talking right as the sun comes up, and banging away at flocks of ducks drives the deer completely out the rest of the way.

If you don’t have duck hunters in your area as well you might have a crack at going in deeper as the pheasant hunters probably won’t go that far into those cattails that are taller than you. If it’s all waste high stuff, grass, and low shrubs you’re done the pheasant hunters will canvass every inch of it relentlessly until the season closes.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 am

I pheasant hunt almost as much as deer. Just like deer hunters, most won't go into the cat tails and marshy grass until it freezes over and even then not alot of guys do it. However, it 100 percent changes the habits of the deer in the area. To me the duck hunting and pheasant hunting pressure can be beneficial because you know a good buck won't be in those areas in daylight.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 am

Few years back had a buck pushed by from duck hunters. Before legal shooting light. Hunted the spot 2 more times later in the year, had bucks in there both times. This was a marsh connected to a lake, the duck hunters were on the edge of the lake. I really think it just depends on the marsh or swamp and how much cover they have. Some of those areas it’s really hard to push the deer about because they know they are safe. Some they push out fairly easily. You won’t know until you hunt more or can find me sign.

I would not give up on it, but I would verify that the sign is there before I hunted it again.
elGuapo

Unread postby elGuapo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am

Good information folks... thanks.
I'm thinking its worth a couple more tries. The area seems quite promising.
I don't think duck hunters would be an issue. There's a small stream in the south edge that is so choked off that only someone really determined can pass. We'll see.
The south part is cattails, phragmites and such. To the north is more of a swamp... forested but very wet. About 400 yards in there appears to be dry land which may very well be a place the deer retreat to.
Seems too good not to put some effort into this one.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am

As said I wouldn't give up on it yet. You may just need to adjust and go deeper. On the bright side you can now rule out a whole lot of area simply from pheasant pressure as it wont get any better until January. Depending on the property there will be guys with dogs in there everyday running just about every piece of cover that isnt under water so they may have them concentrated for you if you can find them. Good luck
Trout King

Unread postby Trout King » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:13 pm

I would say get wet. Deer go to water when the pressure starts from my experience.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:26 pm

elGuapo wrote:Good information folks... thanks.
I'm thinking its worth a couple more tries. The area seems quite promising.
I don't think duck hunters would be an issue. There's a small stream in the south edge that is so choked off that only someone really determined can pass. We'll see.
The south part is cattails, phragmites and such. To the north is more of a swamp... forested but very wet. About 400 yards in there appears to be dry land which may very well be a place the deer retreat to.
Seems too good not to put some effort into this one.

Definitely sounds like a great spot and a double bonus it doesn’t have any duck hunters.

Good luck diving in deep i hope you slay a good one in there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”