PA Big Hill Country Mock Scrapes Gone Inactive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magedon44

PA Big Hill Country Mock Scrapes Gone Inactive

Unread postby magedon44 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi All,
New to the forum and seeking some thoughts on my active Sept. mock scrapes going inactive.

I hunt public land central PA big hill country in some pretty secluded areas. This year I purchased 5 cell cams and in mid Aug hung them elevated over some mock scrapes in known bedding areas around thick laurel, points and a saddle(with cover). I am 100% confident with the 2 sets (5 miles apart) that the bucks were bedding within 100 yds of the scrapes. I confirmed this by putting a cell cam over a bed and monitored activity with conventional cams early in Sept. I didn't go into these areas very often and when I would go in to check a cam it would be middle of the day with the wind in my favor. Within days of building the scrapes (in early Sept.) I began getting daily pictures of does and multiple bucks working the scrapes regularly. At first most the bucks would walk thought the scrape, then maybe a few days later actually work it. Along with deer, i found that if you want to kill an archery bear in the the hills of PA..build a scrape. I have has bears come investigate all my scrapes, which are located 20 miles apart in some cases.

As the season grew closer buck activity on the scrapes decreased dramatically. In early and mid Sept, i was getting daily pics of bucks using these scrapes a few times a week. Around Oct. 2nd (Archery Opener) was the last buck I had come to a scrape. Since then, nothing. Its now 10/18 and on one scrape a few does are coming in. I haven't accessed these areas on foot, just monitoring with my cell cam

Has anyone else had this happen and why? Maybe they were just curious at first and if fizzled out, maybe pressure from other hunters. My hope is they get hot in the next week or so and when i see some consistency I will move in for the hunt. I'm really scratching my head on this one....thoughts?

Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Re: PA Big Hill Country Mock Scrapes Gone Inactive

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 pm

Do you think forage or rut stage has changed their habits?

Or could another hunter have ruined the area?

Just some thoughts, the deer didn't disappear they just probably moved or changed their patterns due to forage or time of year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”