Sam’s deer!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Sam’s deer!

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm

My 10 year old son shot his first deer this evening. Not a great hit, we’re looking in the morning. Lots of blood and white hair. Deer reacted like he was hit shot so…
Tracking in the morning. Wish us luck! It’s a great story I just hope the ending is just as good.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Sam’s deer!

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Meant to say gut shot.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:57 pm

Good luck to y’all!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Good luck tracking Wlog
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm

GL to you guys!!
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm

You got this, congrats!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Good luck!
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Best of luck!
Ryan
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 pm

The suspense is killing me. Been up since 4:30. Have an appointment to look at a job for a customer at 7am then heading back to start tracking around 8-8:30.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Good luck Wlog, sure hope the recovery goes well.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:52 pm

Good luck!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Sam’s deer! (Updated story)

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Long story short, We tracked the deer until we ran out of blood, then started grid searching. About 4 hours into it I jumped the buck. He looked like he wasn’t hurting at all. Went over to where he was laying and couldn’t find any blood. I guess we just nicked him. I told Sam I’ll put out some more cameras and see if we can get a picture of him.

Sunday morning I seen this buck out in the field right at first light. Sunday afternoon we went in to setup on him. We got settled in and the first deer came by at about 5:30. The rest of the evening we seen 8 other deer all walk the same trail about 40 yards out, which is just a little farther than I want to let him shoot. We had about 10 minutes of shooting time left and I told Sam don’t worry, we still haven’t seen the big buck and I know he’s in here somewhere. Then I told him the biggest bucks seem to come out last. Well, 5 minutes later, here he comes. Walking the same trail the other deer went down.

Once I seen that he wasn’t going to turn I grunted at him and he stopped. I grunted soft one more time and he turned and started walking right at us. As soon as his head cleared the brush I heard Sam whisper to himself, “it’s a big buck”. I started thinking right in that instant, oh crap he’s looking at the rack :doh: I got Sam turned in the stand facing the open shooting lane to our right. As soon as the buck stepped into the lane, I stopped him and he stood there at 20 yards, broadside like a statue. About 5 seconds go by the crossbow goes off and the deer bounds forward like 3 hops and is standing right under us. I reached in my pocket for the cocking rope, pull it out and the handle smacks my stand seat and the buck bolted.

Man, if I could have got that crossbow cocked I think I could’ve shot him again easy. At this point I’m thinking he missed completely. We wait a while then get down and I walked over to where buck stood by our tree and there’s a big puddle of blood. We went over to where the buck was standing when he shot and there was a big pile of white hair. We backed out and made plans for the morning.

This is the fourth time I’ve had him out to hunt this year. When we practice at home he is stacking those crossbow bolts out to 30 yards no problem. But everyone knows what it’s like to try and do it on a live buck in the heat of the moment. Now imagine you’re ten years old and never shot a deer. We had a long talk about it. He was bummed but not completely discouraged. I told him we’ve got the rest of the season to get him a deer. It’s not over.

Thanks for reading!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”