bumped him out of his bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

bumped him out of his bed

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 am

STRONG North West wind 14-18 mph

Here's the spot :

bedded buck.PNG

hard back wall facing a semi open swamp with an Island directly in front of him.

When I bumped him we almost dropped down right on top of him not expecting a bed to be there. he exited through the water looping around the island and heading back into the swamp away from the open water.

Huge rub in front of bed

scrape right by the bed.

How should I approach him?

Currently my plan is to wait until another strong NW wind ( I am unsure if this bed being where it is is wind dependent) slide in a few hours before daylight onto the island across from his bed and sit on the ground. This should give me good cover and I should be able to pull this off. How long do I let it chill before I give him a go?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: bumped him out of his bed

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 am

How far is it from the actual bed to the open water?
Bwhit16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:59 am

His bed is a little mis marked on OnX it is right beside the water maybe 10 feet to the creek and maybe 80 yards from what I would call open water.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:22 pm

If you could set up halfway between the bed and the open water, you'd be about within range of him on either side of you if he comes through anywhere in that funnel, wind-checking his bed before bedding down.
You would want a NW wind to do that, for sure.

Otherwise hunt it anyway, but locate your stand placement for whatever wind/thermals you can expect for the early morning.
But I sure wouldn't hesitate to hunt it as early as tomorrow morning.

Pretty much a classic "Bump and Dump" situation if I read it right.
Bwhit16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:17 am

Looks like I will have a north west wind this saturday and will go in and attempt to get the deal done. If not hopefully I can learn a little more about him in the process itll be an early start to beat him to his bed and it will be wet. I think that will make the story that much better.

He looked like a giant when he was running through the swamp but no telling what he actually is. He is for sure a mature buck though and that is all I am after.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”