Have you ever picked up a blood trail that wasn't yours?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Re: Have you ever picked up a blood trail that wasn't yours?

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:27 am

was still hunting in a pine plantation and snuck in on a deer that was hit bad by another hunter. it was bedded up and I watched it expire. kinda crazy.
Another time I was bow hunting during the gun season. I was done hunting for the morning and I heard a shot on the private next to the public I was hunting. On my way out I picked up the blood trail. I followed it all the way out to the road to my truck and it crossed the hard road and appeared to be headed into the yard of the house across the road.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:14 am

Many years ago I shot an 8 point in a snow storm. The snow stopped and I took up the track a few hours later. I found where he bedded twice and back out until the following morning. I go out to track and my neighbor is standing there with his son and starts yelling at me that I was tracking his son's deer. As we argued he went full nut job and almost led to a fist fight. I continued on my track until the blood and tracks ran dry. I think I shoulder hit it. Anyways on the walk in I found his kids blood trail and tracked it 400 yards until it left my property. I tried to find the neighbor so he could take up the track but he was no where to be found. It was a bad day, two deer lost.
dcbakr78

Unread postby dcbakr78 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:55 pm

I’ve come across a handful of blood trails. Most turned out to lead to a recovery site. I found a fresh trail one day mid–morning that led to a nice buck that had run onto our lease from our neighbor’s property. I contacted those guys, and it turned out one of them had shot the deer that morning. They said they’d searched for a while but hadn’t been able to find any blood or the guy’s arrow, so they had given up on the track thinking he might have missed. Needless to say he was happy to get his deer.

On a related note, one morning I was hunting some public land really close to a rural paved road leading to a dead end at a boat ramp and had someone take a deer I shot. I was about 50 yards off the road hunting a morning funnel leading back to a bedding area from some green fields. Right after daylight I shot a doe that ran straight to the edge of the road and crashed. She was literally laying right next to the blacktop. The boat ramp is closed off in the winter months, so the road doesn’t get much traffic that time of year. It was early, so I decided to sit a while longer to see what else might come my way out of the fields. I’d been sitting for about 10 minutes thinking that deer was going to be the easiest recovery I’d ever had, my truck was parked in a pull off about 75 yards down on the opposite side of the road, when I heard a truck coming. At first the truck drove past my deer, but then came to a sudden stop. The truck backed up to where my deer lay, two guys jumped out, gave the deer a quick look, made a comments or two about all the blood and how fresh it looked, then threw my deer in the back of their truck, jumped back in, spun the truck around, and took off back the way they came. The thing is where they stopped to back up was right behind where my truck was parked, so they had to know someone was hunting there. It all happened so fast I didn’t have time to say or do anything. I just sat there in disbelief as they drove off with my deer. I was a little upset at first but then figured they must of really needed it, and I took the attitude that I was glad to help them fill their freezer. In the end the story was worth more to me than the deer, and my buddies and I got a good laugh out of it.
Bittybuilt

Unread postby Bittybuilt » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Once helped my cousin track a buck in the woods behind my house..we tracked it a few hundred yards towards the road. Blood was never very much and we lost it . We circled ahead on the other side of the road and almost immediately we find blood again. We keep tracking across the neighbors and back on to us (they have a piece of ground between two of our pieces) we ended up going another 500 yards and get to field and pasture. We are able to keep on footprint and every so often a little blood. We go 400 yards across the open and get to woods at a big rock pile almost cliff . My cousin said "where would you go off the pile if it was you" and this made a buck about 5 yards ahead jump up and take off through the woods. He immediately said "that's not the buck I shot" as it was bigger than what he hit . His brother in law ended up getting this second buck in rifle season and it had been hit high just above the backbone.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 am

No
But a neighbor did and tracked “his” deer right to ours.
He was getting irate and escalating a bit
We insisted it was our deer

He back-tracked, found his, came back to us and apologized.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:22 am

Drich wrote:Somewhere a guy is waiting a day on his bad shot to track a deer with a dog on an undisturbed track. :lol:

I've picked up a few blood trails over the years. All have led to gut piles.

Hahaha that’s exactly what I was thinking.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:03 am

“No country for old men” started off with a fella following a blood trail that wasn’t his...
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Image

“No country for old men” started off with a fella following a blood trail that wasn’t his...

LOL!
It went pretty well at first, but then...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”