He got me! now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

He got me! now what?

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 am

Yesterday I went in early got my 12 hrs in then rushed out to the woods. I had left this particular area alone so far this season because the winds never were right. Thursday I started the process of hunting it back. No deer seen but I was winded by something.

Saturday I only got past where I hunted Thursday by probably 100 yds of so and I notice a fair amount of sign. Hard to tell if it’s fresh. Show me something to make me stay I said and then I spotted a big rub, I found more and a fresh bomb heading into a pocket of dead ash. I could shoot out into the dead ash area good if I stayed low. Not much for options on sizable trees or small trees w any cover. so I ground hunted.

I was in kill mode but I noticed the wind wandering once in a while. I considered moving 10 yds easterly but by the sign I was anticipating this buck 20-30 yds away as it was. He was up and moving into the opening around 7. To my left, I could not see much as I was shielded by a spruce tree and tall weeds. But needless to say he was fixing to come by at ten yds or less if he kept his route. I knew I was on a fine line here.. then he froze blew quick and I heard his horns cracking the timber. I shifted quick to try and see his rack but too many conifers, just caught a glimpse. I was sure he smelled me but then it was like he did a big loop behind me and winded me again or perhaps he hadn’t smelled me earlier.. not sure. No matter

So anyways I didn’t sleep much and went into work early again today. I had to been very close to where he bedded. It looked like he had a bed right near the access trail too but was no hair or anything in it.. on top anyways. I was only setup 50 yds off the access trail. My old line of thought would keep me out of there at least a week esp since he smelled me. Now I’m considering a couple other things.

1. going right back in there but adjusting where I setup. (Possibly sitting the access trail where I can get a shot if he takes his normal route or get a shot if he loops downwind of where he busted me yesterday)

2. Going to an area 500 yds away that sets up very similarly
Bedding off access trail, pocket of dead ash very similar

3. Nobody has been going into this parcel this season.. so I could risk it and give it some time before I return..

It’s a long post, I apologize. My gears are spinning pretty fast right now. Wondering what my friends think of this situation and the 3 options I have in my mind? Maybe a 4th option?

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: He got me! now what?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:39 am

Sounds like a tough scenario. I believe I would go for the gusto with an option 4! Is of my opinion old bucks are creatures of habit . They keep doing what works until well….. it no longer works. You already know what he does to avoid danger approaching his bed. Set up on that and have a buddy do exactly what you did the first time. Between the 2 of you someone should let a arrow fly.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: He got me! now what?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:35 am

Id go right back immediately and try to kill him if the wind sets up right.

If you buggered him out you’re not hurting anything by going back as he’s already gone. If he’s there you get another chance to kill him.

If you do and you either don’t kill him but you see him or he doesn’t even show id not come back until late season. For me, it would be this one last crack at him and i’d be outta there as they’ll only put up with so much intrusion.

Best of luck with what you decide.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”