Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Recluse

Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Unread postby Recluse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Just curious if anyone else keeps track? I hunt public only and started keeping track of how often I see deer. Where I live, every single WMA has easy access, so it's hard getting away from pressure. I've found hunter sign just about everywhere.

To be clear, I'm not counting deer I see during my walk in or walkout. I'm only including deer that I see from when I'm in a tree.

So out of 46 sits so far this year, I've seen 19 total deer. (I'm not tracking the deer I see per sit, just the total). For many of the sits, I've seen nothing! I've harvested 1 so far this year.

What's your numbers look like?

Andyschulte

Re: Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:46 pm

In 6 sits I’ve seen deer each time. The area I’m hunting has a good population though.

As far as seeing bucks I want to shoot, I saw my first one today.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:47 pm

5 hunts, 3 deer, all 2 or 3 yr old bucks maybe older tough to tell with a couple
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm

All 3 bucks were first week of the season, last two hunts haven’t been hitting on much.
Strategically Inefficient
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm

I've been out 5 times and have seen 0 deer. Albeit, I'm going in cold based on Google Scouting in highly pressured areas. I just am having trouble finding the deer. :cry:
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Recluse

Unread postby Recluse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Abishai wrote:I've been out 5 times and have seen 0 deer. Albeit, I'm going in cold based on Google Scouting in highly pressured areas. I just am having trouble finding the deer. :cry:

Not sure where you live, but a lot of the parcels here have a mix of timber and wetlands. For some reason, no one wants to be near the marshy area with saplings. And That's where I've found almost all of the buck sign this year.

I've found very little sign in the timber. I've also seen more hunters than ever this season, it's crazy
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:27 pm

3 hunts with deer sighting 2 times.
What is difficult is ignoring a spot where you WILL SEE DEER and picking a different spot where you MIGHT SEE BIG DEER. That kind of patience is needed if you want it bad enough.
So glad you have had so many hunts. Are you bouncing around multiple properties?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Recluse

Unread postby Recluse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:31 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:3 hunts with deer sighting 2 times.
What is difficult is ignoring a spot where you WILL SEE DEER and picking a different spot where you MIGHT SEE BIG DEER. That kind of patience is needed if you want it bad enough.
So glad you have had so many hunts. Are you bouncing around multiple properties?

Very cool and yea I agree, that is tough. I have a "favorite tree" I've killed young deer out of. Always have to resist the urge to over use it

Yes, I've cycling through a state park, 2 different state forests and three WMAs. I enjoy being in the woods more than anything, so it's always time well spent. My wife and I both work from home full time now, so logistically, it works
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 pm

4 sits and 0 deer. Pretty common for me in so. Nh anyway.
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:47 pm

6 site. Seen deer 3 times. Shot deer 2 of those times. Still learning! 2nd year beast hunting. Have yet to shoot a buck with my bow on public, but I’m not giving up
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:07 pm

9 sits so far. Probably see deer 75-80% of my hunts. 46 sits so far this year your hitting it hard! I'm jealous haha.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 pm

I don’t really keep track but would say i average 1-2 per sit. Don’t always see mature Bucks but at least see does or small bucks. I don’t spend any more time in a spot if i don’t see a deer.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 pm

I’m guesstimating it’s around 75 percent of my hunts that I’m seeing deer but seeing deer isn’t necessarily my goal. The perfect scenario is seeing just one deer and it’s the one you want to shoot. Only two eyes, one nose and one set of ears to fool instead of a bunch.

In your situation, with easy access and lots of pressure. What has worked for me is looking for deer where a hunter would typically think “there’s no chance of a deer living there, it’s too close to”… This or that. Whether that thing is a road or parking lot or whatever. For example, one of my best spots that almost always produces a sighting of a buck, I have to walk 1/2 mile, cross a bridge over a deep creek then walk back towards the parking lot. Most people walk in that far, they continue going deeper. I guess it’s just human nature to continue going the same direction once you go that far. IDK

Also have found a lot of good spots on public hunting right up behind peoples houses, as close as is legal of course.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:36 pm

4 public land sits so far this year and saw deer on 3 of them but biggest is a 2 yr old and have yet to have a deer in range
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 am

When I hunt public it depends on what I am hunting to get u accurate sightings. If I’m just deer hunting (after doe’s) I typically see deer prob 75% of the time. If I’m after a big brute my sightings drastically drop off. Would guess 1 sighting for every 5 or 6 sits and some of those sits are all day.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”