Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Usi05

Re: Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Unread postby Usi05 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 pm

I hunt public 98% of the time.

I hunt a pretty heavily pressured area in lower Michigan. I hunt at least fri-sun and most weeks I’ll add a weekday or two in tgere after work.

I’d guess I see deer on 50% of my sits until late October. Then I usually see see at a higher clip than that.

I treat locating them like locating elk, find them before you start hunting. By getting away from access and crossing water I can usually find where the deer are.

My struggle this year is finding where some of the nice bucks I had on camera in late august/early September have gone. I have a few overlooked spots I haven’t got into yet due to wind.

I’ve been trying to find spots where the only deer I see are the ones I want to kill but I almost always see a doe or two.

Have learned more about deer hunting last two years with this forum and hunting without bait then I learned in my first 15 years of hunting.

Usi05

Re: Public land guys: How often do you see deer?

Unread postby Usi05 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 pm

I hunt public 98% of the time.

I hunt a pretty heavily pressured area in lower Michigan. I hunt at least fri-sun and most weeks I’ll add a weekday or two in tgere after work.

I’d guess I see deer on 50% of my sits until late October. Then I usually see see at a higher clip than that.

I treat locating them like locating elk, find them before you start hunting. By getting away from access and crossing water I can usually find where the deer are.

My struggle this year is finding where some of the nice bucks I had on camera in late august/early September have gone. I have a few overlooked spots I haven’t got into yet due to wind.

I’ve been trying to find spots where the only deer I see are the ones I want to kill but I almost always see a doe or two.

Have learned more about deer hunting last two years with this forum and hunting without bait then I learned in my first 15 years of hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”