Hunting in a thunderstorm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TomMurphyNY

Hunting in a thunderstorm

Unread postby TomMurphyNY » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Finally getting out in the woods today for the first time this season. Rain is one of my favorite conditions to hunt in but scattered thunderstorms will be in the area. That’s not going to stop me from going out but I was wondering, does anyone have good experience of seeing bucks with scattered thunderstorms in the area?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting in a thunderstorm

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 pm

I arrowed a giant 8 point once ion a thunderstorm. Might want to avoid big trees and not canoe or boat in. ...
normal_big8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomMurphyNY

Unread postby TomMurphyNY » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm

dan wrote:I arrowed a giant 8 point once ion a thunderstorm. Might want to avoid big trees and not canoe or boat in. ...
normal_big8.jpg

Nothing like the beast himself replying to give you even more confidence!!! Looking at a hill country hunt today. Going to use those conditions to my advantage and find the best sign on the hill to set up on.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Good luck!
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:35 am

Lots of good hunts with thunderstorms around. Killed this particular buck during a tropical storm, just got a break in the weather and he popped out.

Go get em. I would look for scrapes if possible.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:37 am

My biggest worry with hunting during a thunderstorm/hard rain will be the lose of the blood trail. Don't any of you guys worry about that?
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:40 am

I got my biggest in a rain storm with 25+mph winds a couple years back. The thunder wasn't rolling through yet but was later that night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:53 am

Well, it appears that the bad weather only scares off the hunters!

Those are some absolute stud bucks! :shock: :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:35 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:My biggest worry with hunting during a thunderstorm/hard rain will be the lose of the blood trail. Don't any of you guys worry about that?

Exactly why I dont hunt thunderstorms or heavy precipitation. Im all about being a beast and and aggressive- but common sense kicks in at some point. Ive lost a couple good bucks in these conditions. Never again.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 am

Absolute downpour = not hunting.

Scattered rainstorms = hunting.

Mist = absolutely hunting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 am

I've only ever killed one buck with my bow. I spent like an hour to walk the last 100 yards to my tree stand in the pitch black pre-dawn, and get set up all nice and quiet. When that "magic hour" first light come upon me I heard thunder in the distance, and it started raining. No sooner did the thought of "son of a.... you gotta be kidding me," go through my mind than I saw the doe and buck coming.

I love hunting on the edge of storm systems. The wind and noise cover my entrance very well.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:38 am

Here it is supposed to switch winds too, going from NW to NE during the 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. range. Trying to figure out my plan. I'm going to bring my leafy suit in case the winds start rocking, I can get out of the tree and hunker down. My question is would you sway to keep in sync with the foliage around you? :lol:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:37 am

I think some guys are confusing scattered T storms with down pours. Also, it is possible guys lacked a good blood trail in general and it wasn't the rain. There are many variables, but as long as it isn't heavy down pours, it isn't stopping me.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 am

RyanQ wrote:I think some guys are confusing scattered T storms with down pours.Also, it is possible guys lacked a good blood trail in general and it wasn't the rain. There are many variables, but as long as it isn't heavy down pours, it isn't stopping me.

Yes good point. I don't intentionally go to hunt in heavy precipitation and I would hope everyone has the same intention. You cant control or predict weather for the most part, but if it starts getting really heavy Im getting down. Plenty of better weather days to hunt. It was years ago- but the bucks I shot was just before it got really heavy. I do take responsibility for not making a good shot, but if it wasn't so heavy rain and snow, my chances of recovering them would obviously of been much better. Just hate to lose another one and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it either-for the sake of both you and the animal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:33 am

Seen good bucks in storms but lightning gets me out of a tree now. Hunting solo tall trees in the middle of marsh terrain with very few tall landmarks during a lightning storm can get hairy real fast. Kinda like being in a boat. I’ve had way too many close encounters with lighting striking very close and seen how it can explode large trees.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”