Leaving over night

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Leaving over night

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:57 am

When people shoot a deer and are unsure if the shot was fatal and they leave it over night.........if they do find the deer, do they recover the meat?

Just wonder if there is a certain air temp that is "ok" and such.

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Leaving over night

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:06 am

You want to assume it - some forums get a ton of posts about "is the meat still good?". So I'd say most folks have that intention.

The guys on the videos - this is where I'll drop back to the Public Land Challenge and the bad shot last year where the long haired dude stayed on that buck all night. As opposed to someone saying, we're backing out and will be back tomorrow after breakfast.

I've had FL venison where the deer got processed about 5 hours in the 90 degree heat after being shot (never gutted) and it was fine. That and antelope meat that didn't see ice for about 10 hours (hung in game bag in shade) which was fine. These are extremes, but I'm saying that for most folks in cooler areas, leaving a deer overnight isn't gonna ruin the meat.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 am

I would hope that it is always the plan to recover the meat. It takes a lot to lose the meat IMO, more than most think.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 am

PK_ wrote:I would hope that it is always the plan to recover the meat. It takes a lot to lose the meat IMO, more than most think.

I agree
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am

We left one overnight a couple weeks back. It was mid 70’s at dark and dropped into the 50’s that night. Recovery was just after daylight and skinned and on ice by noon. I had to trim about 1/2” of meat from the inner side of the hind quarters that looked and smelled a little questionable. So far what I’ve cooked from him was delicious.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 am

Too many guys will open one up, get of whiff of guts and declare that the meat went bad.

Duh-the guts NEVER smell good even on a fresh kill, and some increase in gut odors on a deer left overnight doesn't mean that the MEAT is necessarily bad.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 am

Here in Iowa there isn't many season where leaving one over night the majority of bow season and the deer is fine. This year it's been unseasonably warm so maybe more spoilage. My train of thought is usually if it's a marginal hit the deer is actually alive for most of that time period. One that I did have sour on me on an unseasonably warm day was one that I shot early afternoon and it was definitely guts. Turns out it clipped that artery that runs along the gut line and the deer was probably dead within 15 seconds and I left it sit for 4 hours of daylight and 14 hours overnight.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:11 pm

You ever see what happens when you take a deer to a real busy processor? If you think they get your deer hanging in a cooler even remotely fast your probably mistaken. Of course sitting ungutted in a hot forest is a little different, but I'd say it takes a lot longer to spoil the meat than most people think. The beef you buy at the grocery store is probably more suspect. That being said, of course the goal is to get it taken care of as soon as possible.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Heck if I worried about that here in Louisiana, I would never shoot a deer.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 pm

PK_ wrote:I would hope that it is always the plan to recover the meat. It takes a lot to lose the meat IMO, more than most think.

I also agree with this, sad to think how many deer get wasted when the meat is actually fine.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”