WWYD…what would you do…

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deltaninja

WWYD…what would you do…

Unread postby Deltaninja » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Looking for opinions on what some of y’all’s next move would be. Here’s the scenario have a thermal hub picked out on map. Walking in this afternoon to try and set up in a location where a buck might be moving through to take advantage of dropping thermals. It’s dry and leaves are LOUD. walking down the ridge I come to a spur ridge and jump a deer. Just saw the flag but sounded heavy footed. Would y’all set up right there, or keep moving to get to pre determined location? Just curious to hear some opinions and advice. Thanks in advance fellas.

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: WWYD…what would you do…

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Can you access it from the bottom? Do the ridges have any ditches or drainages that dump down into any kind of water?
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:01 pm

I would keep going. Scout the bottom, figure out a way to access it through a creek or drainage then go back in 2 weeks.
Strategically Inefficient
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Yea I can access from bottom. That’s what I did, I kept going and so did the deer sounds like. Heard it a couple ridges over. I got to the big bottom where 3 ditches come together and didn’t really see much sign. Lesson learned maybe from today is access low as possible in evenings and ridge tops in morning. I wish I could figure out how to post image of topo and see what you think…
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Lots of questions from me. Public or private? Any history here? What kinda buck are we talking bout? By your description we are talking evening hunt during the rut or late season. Personally believe older age class bucks don’t flee but rather hold tight.

If I know the property well I would wide loop to where I believe he is going. If on unfamiliar ground and he just heard a noise he didn’t like but my wind was good I would hang immediately in the farthest downwind edge and give it a hour. If nothing then I would move to a higher odds prime time spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Sorry should have mentioned that. Public with lots of hardwood timber and cut overs sprinkled in. Never been in that spot before. I’m having hard time putting a pattern together because deer can and do bed anywhere and food is about 2 steps away in any direction. Lots of steep hills and drainages so I try to use topo features to narrow down spots.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:45 pm

I don’t like to walk around during good hunting hours on public for fear of screwing up someone else’s hunt. So I would likely hold out on that farthest downwind edge I mentioned or quickly skip over to another close spot if I had one.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 am

I'd try to access from the bottom on an overcast, low wind day to reduce thermal lift and swirly winds and go in on the same wind you bumped the buck, preferably after a rain moves though. Pick that day and give it a shot.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”