Red Moon Clarification

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RyanQ

Red Moon Clarification

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 am

tomorrow is the start of a red moon and it's showing the strongest pull at 2:30 in the afternoon. is that still a good time to try hunting the beds in the morning or do you want the strongest pull to be close to sun up. I wasn't sure if I should avoid an a.m. bedding area hunt in the morning. still trying to understand the moon phases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Red Moon Clarification

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:39 am

The moon guide is saying evenings should see increased deer movement to food sources, because of the overhead moon occurring during those evenings. I know Monday is the first quarter moon, I’ve noticed good daylight movement in the evening on those days.

I do like having an overhead moon occurring during the first hour or two after sunrise to hunt mornings during this time of year. But there are lots of ways to get it done.
Strategically Inefficient
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 am

Stingray713 wrote:The moon guide is saying evenings should see increased deer movement to food sources, because of the overhead moon occurring during those evenings. I know Monday is the first quarter moon, I’ve noticed good daylight movement in the evening on those days.

I do like having an overhead moon occurring during the first hour or two after sunrise to hunt mornings during this time of year. But there are lots of ways to get it done.

thank you. i was under the impression red moon days were great on both ends but the red was specifying the better of the two essentially.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Well actually, based on this calendar and time predictions, your best chance would be next week if you buy into the red moon when both morning and evening are during daylight.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:55 pm

The AM time is the Underfoot moon. Haven’t noticed as much movement with that compared to the Overhead.
Strategically Inefficient
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:33 pm

thanks guys. i've never hunted based on the moon but up for making notes on the hunts and seeing if it proves true based on activity
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:01 pm

No, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday would be the best days. Its best when those times are closest to first/ last light. Every cycle you will get about 2-3 days where they both fall perfectly on the same day so the 12th & 13th would be the best days. As others said the overhead times seem to be the most trustworthy but I absolutely love when they both fall on the same day. Usually thats right around the 1/2 moon phase. Since this cycle it says O/H is in the evenings - next cycle it will be the mornings that will be the best.

The main thing about the mornings is waiting until the right time and knowing your area. Starting the 12th I will start trying all the way thru the rut. Sometimes now it can still be a little early in the season but now is about the time I can start getting in clean. The 15th is usually my start date but I like to judge it off the moon days you posted and when temps finally dip down. For me I like it being in the 40's before I start - right now its in the 50s-60s at night.
RyanQ

Unread postby RyanQ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:26 pm

<DK> wrote:No, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday would be the best days. Its best when those times are closest to first/ last light. Every cycle you will get about 2-3 days where they both fall perfectly on the same day so the 12th & 13th would be the best days. As others said the overhead times seem to be the most trustworthy but I absolutely love when they both fall on the same day. Usually thats right around the 1/2 moon phase. Since this cycle it says O/H is in the evenings - next cycle it will be the mornings that will be the best.

The main thing about the mornings is waiting until the right time and knowing your area. Starting the 12th I will start trying all the way thru the rut. Sometimes now it can still be a little early in the season but now is about the time I can start getting in clean. The 15th is usually my start date but I like to judge it off the moon days you posted and when temps finally dip down. For me I like it being in the 40's before I start - right now its in the 50s-60s at night.

thank you! yeah it is still a little warm. 60 right now in MA. I just like opening week in general to hopefully catch one off guard. then i like yo back off a bit and hope temps drop. halloween week looks promising this year. just as long as the weather dips
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:07 am

RyanQ wrote:
<DK> wrote:No, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday would be the best days. Its best when those times are closest to first/ last light. Every cycle you will get about 2-3 days where they both fall perfectly on the same day so the 12th & 13th would be the best days. As others said the overhead times seem to be the most trustworthy but I absolutely love when they both fall on the same day. Usually thats right around the 1/2 moon phase. Since this cycle it says O/H is in the evenings - next cycle it will be the mornings that will be the best.

thank you! yeah it is still a little warm. 60 right now in MA. I just like opening week in general to hopefully catch one off guard. then i like yo back off a bit and hope temps drop. halloween week looks promising this year. just as long as the weather dips

Now the 2:30p O/H will be great during the rut for cruising times. Until then I like to see it closer to prime time hours.
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Ive heard a little about this through a tv show showing how Adam Hayes hunts & similar reads in Charles Alsheimer books.
So what exactly is the “red moon?”
From what I’m picking up it’s when the moon is overhead or underfoot during prime time either in the morning or in the evening.
Basically it’s the dates that have an overhead or underfoot moon time that matches the time of the sun rise and sun set time or at least 2-3 hours of each other? Is that safe to say or could you lay it out better for me?1
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”