Wind accuracy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nepabowhunter28

Wind accuracy

Unread postby Nepabowhunter28 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:09 am

Anyone have a great go to app that is accurate for wind direction upon driving to the hunting spot? I have tried a few and usually get 3 different directions. I’ll check before heading into the spot with my milkweed and sometimes all 3 apps will be wrong…

“It’s lonely at the top, but I sure like the view.” -Charlie sheen
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Wind accuracy

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:28 am

Huntstand and weather channel are the two I use. Huntstand being my go to but there's is only a 5 day forecast. Hunting hills and timber, I take those w a grain of salt. The key for me is checking it while scouting (even if its the wrong direction for a hunt), I have to hunt it to find out for sure and note it.

Different regions will deal w issues more than others. windyty.com shows a great illustration of that. Wind speed, past/future wind forecasts, elevation, terrain features and transition lines are factors that determine what happens in the spot.

I like to look at what the wind has been doing days leading up to and following the day of the hunt. If its been S wind for 3 days straight and a N wind is coming - I will likely see both N and S wind currents thru the evening. NW wind does not always mean NW. It can mean N & W wind currents.

There are spots I can completely cheat and there are spots I am still struggling to conquer. Iv learned some of the best big buck spots in the woods have tough wind conditions and may require the completely opposite wind direction than suspected.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:00 am

Yes! It’s called trial and error :lol: General direction is great to know. But hate to tell ya no app will ever be able to predict what air will do with the current vegetation, terrain in your specific area, as well as what problems the velocity will cause. That my friend takes time screwing the pooch!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 am

The forecasted wind is NEVER correct at my home property. I have a spot between 2 ridges that run north and south. Took a bit to figure out that a West wind isn’t so…. I find that with some public around here too. I’ve gone to set up on a certain wind, but in the actual spot it is much different.
Ryan
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:58 am

You gotta learn what the wind is doing at your spots in relation to the forecast and actual wind. There are many variables and it takes years to get a handle on
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:35 am

I’m surrounded by 400 foot wind turbines. Getting an instant/accurate wind direction is just outside my door. Then I fine tune with milkweed at my hunt location.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 am

Nepabowhunter28 wrote:Anyone have a great go to app that is accurate for wind direction upon driving to the hunting spot? I have tried a few and usually get 3 different directions. I’ll check before heading into the spot with my milkweed and sometimes all 3 apps will be wrong…

Download an app called Windfinder. Very accurate for general wind direction. If its going N 3hrs later S 3hr N 3 hr W then you know switch winds. Watch the weather fronts on wunderground as well.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am

I got the windy.com app.

Just by scrolling on the timeline I can see how the wind will change from 7 AM to 7 PM. I found it to be very accurate. Gives you the windspeed direction all in a simple visual. Here’s a picture of what one of the screens looks like.
01705A78-2A5D-4DE8-A31C-6B473BBCBBDF.png

And you can put a little pin on the screen it will tell you what the speed of the wind is right at that spot, or at least their estimate of it.

I think it’s great for knowing how the wind will change in an area you’re hunting as time progresses so you may be able to use the wind to get into a place and then the wind will change right when you get there so it’s more advantageous for hunting. But it’s all a crapshoot, because you get a big pines and everything that are distorting so your wind is getting thrown good 1520 yards One Direction and I also need hooks to the left because the pines are catching the wind and sending it wherever. And that’s what the milkweed is for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Nepabowhunter28

Unread postby Nepabowhunter28 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:56 am

<DK> wrote:Huntstand and weather channel are the two I use. Huntstand being my go to but there's is only a 5 day forecast. Hunting hills and timber, I take those w a grain of salt. The key for me is checking it while scouting (even if its the wrong direction for a hunt), I have to hunt it to find out for sure and note it.

Different regions will deal w issues more than others. windyty.com shows a great illustration of that. Wind speed, past/future wind forecasts, elevation, terrain features and transition lines are factors that determine what happens in the spot.

I like to look at what the wind has been doing days leading up to and following the day of the hunt. If its been S wind for 3 days straight and a N wind is coming - I will likely see both N and S wind currents thru the evening. NW wind does not always mean NW. It can mean N & W wind currents.

There are spots I can completely cheat and there are spots I am still struggling to conquer. Iv learned some of the best big buck spots in the woods have tough wind conditions and may require the completely opposite wind direction than suspected.

Thanks that was super helpful information, I’ll keep all of that in mind.
“It’s lonely at the top, but I sure like the view.” -Charlie sheen
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Well, hopefully you’re not like me. :lol:
I have no idea who decided the wind direction should be a reverse math problem like some common core math stuff they’re sending my kids home with, but when I was complaining about it always being dead wrong on weather I was informed of something that seems very odd to me.
If it says NE to me I thought that meant that the wind was blowing NE. Unfortunately that’s not correct lol. That means it’s coming out of the NE but actually blowing SW
The accuracy of weather went up about 90% after being informed of that.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:56 pm

You have to know what the wind does in the spot you want to hunt with the forecasted wind.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:43 am

Adam B wrote:If it says NE to me I thought that meant that the wind was blowing NE. Unfortunately that’s not correct lol. That means it’s coming out of the NE but actually blowing SW
The accuracy of weather went up about 90% after being informed of that.

That is a common mix up, a friend of mine just asked me that the other day too.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Wunderground app has served me well for hourly wind direction forecast and overall weather.
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”