Swing and a miss

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Swing and a miss

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:08 pm

Missed a rather large 9 point tonight, first deer i seen this year because im hunting the fat chick spots. Been hunting buck all week thinking im gonna hit a doe hole soon. I scared the outta the 9 point, gotta figure out where he mives to.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Swing and a miss

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I know the feeling my man. Just remember you got a shot at a rather large 9 pointer on October 6th. Not everyone does that.
Strategically Inefficient
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:12 pm

It happens don’t sweat it
Earn what’s never given.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Frustrating but exciting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Sux! I know that feeling all to well. On a positive a miss early season is way better than one late season. You got plenty of time on the clock to set the record straight. Go get him!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:19 am

Thanks guy's
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:37 am

I hate that for you. I know the feeling oh too well. I started bowhunting only 5 years ago and became obsessed. Last year (Nov 3rd) what would have been my biggest bow buck to date came running in chasing 2 does. It happened so fast I barely had time to get my bow off the hanger. He stopped 15 yards from my stand giving me a shot opportunity, I rushed the shot & had buck fever shakes pretty bad, and shot low. When I went to retrieve my arrow I just sit there on my knees in a foot of water looking at my perfectly clean vanes & shaft not believing what I had just ruined. I shot from all angles when I got home. The bow was dead on. The bad shot was all me. He was killed by a gun hunter 2 days later on the next property over.
6 days later on Nov. 9th I killed a nice buck 140-150s. Arrow looked good with clean pass through and shot was placed right in the crease. Great blood trail for 100 yards then went cold. I called in a tracking dog outfit the next day. The buck had circled back and ran toward the road. Someone must have seen the white on his underside or rack from the road. We found him but someone had cut him off from the shoulder up.
I was sick. Couldn’t even talk about my season for months.
Had I not received a seasoned hunter’s words of encouragement and pick me up, I may have thrown in the towel. I ended up taking 3 does last year and thankful for the opportunity & meat for the family.
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”