Entry/Exit Techniques

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Entry/Exit Techniques

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:14 am

I use a white light going in early in the morning. I go in really early though, I don’t think the deer worry about me too much during that time of night

Strategically Inefficient
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:48 am

Stingray713 wrote:I use a white light going in early in the morning. I go in really early though, I don’t think the deer worry about me too much during that time of night

Same. I like to be settled into my stand an hour to hour & half before first light.
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:51 am

tlholmes wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:I’m not so sure the color matters quite as much. Possibly a bright white could be too bright, but as for hunting predators red seem to work the best. I know if guys that use white but wouldn’t go that route. As another mentioned, for close to 20 years I went in and out without a light. As I got older, I really started to worry about other hunters so now I always use a light to prevent getting capped.

Sadly, this is probably a valid concern. Shouldnt be but there are a lot of less than ethical guys out there.

Probably not a concern for most, as I’m sure the majority of hunters are responsible. But I’ve heard enough local stories to change my mind on walking in without a light

This is family property & 95% of the time I am the only one hunting it. It is gated on the 3 access roads from the country highway it borders and surrounded by river on 2 sides. I’ve never ran into anyone that isn’t suppose to be out here, but have found boot tracks during turkey season and caught walker coon dogs on camera during rut. Got to love trespassing on a place I go out of my way to keep pressure at a minimum.

It’s a bummer that it’s so damn difficult to keep people at bay even when ur the one paying the taxes! I suppose trespassing is the least of our worry’s in the u.s. at this point. One thing I can tell ya though, I’m ready to start flingin arrows this season! Good luck to everybody, and stay safe
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:24 pm

I have a white and green headlamp that I bought for 4.99 at cabela's before turkey season last year, but I'm still using it. it works well when you need to see. I have a small handheld flashlight that has white, green, and red light, with the red being fairly dim. I like using that instead of the headlamp, because I can keep it low and pointed at the ground where it is less likely to be seen. In the past I have also made a taped on extension out of toilet paper or paper towel roll to extend past the end of my flashlights... so that the actual light itself can't bee seen, but the beam still shines where I want it to. Maybe it's not necessary, but I felt like it kept me more invisible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”