Bowhunt alone or in pairs?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stringpuller74

Bowhunt alone or in pairs?

Unread postby Stringpuller74 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi all
Was wondering members thoughts on going it alone the beast way or as a pair or group? Whats your thoughts on this.
Sometimes I feel I shouldn't share info and spots and just go it alone. What do you think?

Scott S

Re: Bowhunt alone or in pairs?

Unread postby Scott S » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:31 pm

If I could find a local buddy that shared my mindset I'd be happy to grind it out with him/her. I have not found that local buddy. To be fair, I haven't really tried.

So as it sits, I hunt alone, with my dad, or my 4 year old son.

My dad isn't into putting in the miles anymore, so I plan accordingly when I am with him.

My son is 4, so we just go midday scout new properties.

When I'm solo is when it gets weird, far, wet, or some combination of those things. I've found nobody that likes to get miserable with me yet.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I do both I guess. Early season I seem to be solo. When rut hits I’m typically hunting with my Dad and my brother.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Should also say that I prefer to hunt with my Dad and my brother, but it’s just not always possible. We spend a lot of time talking strategy and stuff which I love. I guess that’s why I like hanging around here so much :think:
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm pretty much a lone wolf. Have a few buddies I talk hunting with but dont hunt same properties and a couple buddies I wouldnt hesitate to hunt with here and there but so far really haven't. My dad never really was into deer that much and hes gotten even more disinterested as he gets older so the only one I really actually hunt with anymore is my father in law but even then its pretty rare. Like most people say it's hard to find someone with the same drive and in the same station in life as me right now and honestly sometimes I find it hard to trust people with hard earned Intel especially public and not feel like you may get burned. Or they may mention something to somebody else etc. So I pretty much keep.to myself at this point
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Alone! 100% I have two close friends we share info but basically leave each other alone and hunt our areas but we share trail cam photos and brainstorm tactics but I rarely ride with someone or head to the same woods with another person.
Earn what’s never given.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 pm

I realized many years ago if I had to rely on others for my own fun I would be disappointed 9 times out of 10. I got tired of excuses of why they couldn’t go. Seemed when they could go they just wanted to be put in a good spot. I just quit asking. Most folks I know think I’m a nut job cause I will go on long distance adventures all by myself. Will admit camp life is much more fun with a friend. But once in the stand I’m perfectly happy all by my lonesome. Never let others determine what you can do is my thoughts
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Most hunts usually alone and if I get busted or screw up it’s on me and only me…no excuses.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:59 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I realized many years ago if I had to rely on others for my own fun I would be disappointed 9 times out of 10. I got tired of excuses of why they couldn’t go. Seemed when they could go they just wanted to be put in a good spot. I just quit asking. Most folks I know think I’m a nut job cause I will go on long distance adventures all by myself. Will admit camp life is much more fun with a friend. But once in the stand I’m perfectly happy all by my lonesome. Never let others determine what you can do is my thoughts

Same here. My thoughts exactly. Seemed like I was always running behind waiting for others. Hard to mesh with somebody who doesn’t have the same motivation and will to hunt hard with zero complaints. Those hunting partners are extremely rare.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:12 pm

I’m def a loaner. Almost always hunting alone except maybe rifle season. I do have a cousin who hunts beast style and occasionally we will compare notes on a property and share intel but even we don’t hunt together as our schedule doesn’t line up. It would be nice to have a reliable buddy though bc two sets of eyes beat 1 Any day
Red

Unread postby Red » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:17 pm

I hunt both ways really. Have a group of 4 or 5 guys that we hunt together/camp throughout the season. I will only drive or ride with my brother though as we r usually on the same page. It becomes a pain when you primarily hunt a 60k acre tract and 2 people want to hunt opposite ends of it, and then take in the fact that a couple people might sleep in lol that can get frustrating
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Alone
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:59 pm

I hunt alone pretty much all archery season then get together with friends for gun season usually.

I really would like to hunt with someone during archery but it’s incredibly hard to find someone with the same interest as I will go where most other people won’t.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:20 pm

Lone wolf 99% of the time. But this year kinda have a partner, mainly cause he wanted me to school him on being mobile and public land hunting.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:33 pm

Alone. Then get your buddy to help drag it out IF you can trust him with your spot :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”