Don’t forget to listen to the birds!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Don’t forget to listen to the birds!

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:26 pm

Hunted a bedding area tonight that funnels into a staging area before hitting a soybean field. Trails coming into the staging area were very used, and although buck sign wasn’t plentiful, past experience told me good bucks bed there. About 25 minutes to closing I hear the jays start to go crazy off to my right about 40 yards back into the swamp. Anxiously waiting to see what is working in, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. 3 does pour into the staging area and start browsing the shrubs and maple leaves. I am so fixated on the does I forget all about the jays. Based on where they are feeding, I slowly reposition in my saddle, only to hear the dreaded sound of a deer, off to my right, bounding away in the woods. All I caught was a rack, very nice but too fast to count. Does bust immediately after the buck rockets…

Moral of the story, don’t forget to listen to the birds. More often then not, they will cue you that deer are on the move. Even though I knew this, still need hard reminders!! Set was perfect, wind was perfect, I was not…until next time!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”