This type of swamp?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

This type of swamp?

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:44 am

Hi all

Is this the type of swamps you guys are walking/swimming through to find the big bucks?
20211002_161504.jpg

You can see it is mostly standing water with sparse trees and shrubs sticking up. I can't imagine trying to walk through something like this - I feel like I'd be in muck up to my chest. Most of the videos of Dan have him going through cattails, but this is something different altogether. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel traveling in there.

That said, I found some monster tracks nearby. If there is a buck in there, how would I go about finding/hunting him? Just put on the waders and plunge in?

Thanks
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Bowtech1

Re: This type of swamp?

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:52 am

Yes swamps like that can be amazing. I hunt a few similar to that and they are only productive when theirs standing water. They key is that the bed up on the high dry spots and can hear any danger coming and can bed there on literally any wind direction due to the extreme hearing advantage they get in those situations
MuskieHunterDave

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 am

So... any SE WI hunters interested in exploring it with me? It's probably 100 yds off the road, not hard to get to. I just can't fathom walking into that thing by myself.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:50 am

No deer in there….just keep walking…. :liar:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 am

It sounds like you're not comfortable going in there alone for safety reasons, and who can blame you. It looks a bit intimidating.

How about an alternative. It's possible that his exact bedding locations are closer to the easily traversable land than you might think. You know the deer is in there somewhere. Can you skirt the dangerous sections and see where it looks like he's going in and coming out? Once you've identified that try setting up on the edge of the swamp first. If you can do that then you avoid dropping your scent everywhere in there, you stay safe, and you might drill him without ever stepping foot in the nasty parts.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:22 am

100 yards from the road standing water. Grab a kayak or canoe and pole your way through and see if you can find a way in
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
MuskieHunterDave

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:37 am

Ognennyy wrote:It sounds like you're not comfortable going in there alone for safety reasons, and who can blame you. It looks a bit intimidating.

How about an alternative. It's possible that his exact bedding locations are closer to the easily traversable land than you might think. You know the deer is in there somewhere. Can you skirt the dangerous sections and see where it looks like he's going in and coming out? Once you've identified that try setting up on the edge of the swamp first. If you can do that then you avoid dropping your scent everywhere in there, you stay safe, and you might drill him without ever stepping foot in the nasty parts.

I had considered this, but if everything goes according to plan and I hit him, I've got to go in after him! I supposed I'd be able to get help in getting him out, but the people who help me may end up pissed!
MuskieHunterDave

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:37 am

Tufrthnails wrote:100 yards from the road standing water. Grab a kayak or canoe and pole your way through and see if you can find a way in

Yep, if I had a canoe or kayak I would definitely do this.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:29 am

Be careful.

Become acquainted with what type of trees and vegetation grow in certain water depths. Beware of bogs and floating mats.

Other than that don’t be too scared. I don’t recommend waders they can be dangerous. Grab a sturdy long stick to poke around in front of you and take it one step at a time. It’s not that bad.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:It sounds like you're not comfortable going in there alone for safety reasons, and who can blame you. It looks a bit intimidating.

I had considered this, but if everything goes according to plan and I hit him, I've got to go in after him! I supposed I'd be able to get help in getting him out, but the people who help me may end up pissed!

Haha I hear you and I can't help you here. Let's worry about getting an arrow in one first!
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:21 am

PK_ wrote:Be careful.

Become acquainted with what type of trees and vegetation grow in certain water depths. Beware of bogs and floating mats.

Other than that don’t be too scared. I don’t recommend waders they can be dangerous. Grab a sturdy long stick to poke around in front of you and take it one step at a time. It’s not that bad.

a good stick is the most underrated piece of hunting/scouting equipment. I am always surprised I never see Dan using one in his videos.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:33 am

PK_ wrote:Be careful.

What about waders can be dangerous? I was going to go in a swamp for the first time since last spring this weekend but now you guys have me worried.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 am

Flooded timber/swamp is awesome especially very large blocks of it. First time I set up a cam in stuff like that I was honestly thinking it would be a bust. I was shocked that every single pic I got was shooter bucks and a lot of them. Not one single doe, fawn or young buck. Older bucks love that stuff because of the security. Very few hunt it because of the effort it takes and most are just afraid of water. That’s a great combination for producing big bucks year after year.

Throw some jungle boots on then dive in there and explore. You might be surprised how many beds you find. If there’s bigger trees there has to be small humps of dry ground they can bed on. It doesn’t take much.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 am

Dewey wrote:Flooded timber/swamp is awesome especially very large blocks of it. First time I set up a cam in stuff like that I was honestly thinking it would be a bust. I was shocked that every single pic I got was shooter bucks and a lot of them. Not one single doe, fawn or young buck. Older bucks love that stuff because of the security. Very few hunt it because of the effort it takes and most are just afraid of water. That’s a great combination for producing big bucks year after year.

Throw some jungle boots on then dive in there and explore. You might be surprised how many beds you find. If there’s bigger trees there has to be small humps of dry ground they can bed on. It doesn’t take much.

The big tree tip is huge. Easy way to determine where they are at, and can save you from walking the swamp in it’s entirety.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 am

So let me ask this then. Let’s say you shoot a buck, good fatal hit, but he runs off. Do they typically run back out to water or does it just depend on the situation? Any tips for retrieving a large deer by yourself out of the swamp?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”