Estrus scents.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Estrus scents.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:26 pm

I know this is kinda a taboo topic and by no means do we need scents to kill a buck.

I am interested in playing around during some rut mornings.
Montana decoy and a quality scent.

Obviously everyone's going to have the cheap wally world junk and tinks.

I'm very interested in throwing a few out over scrapes with cams or near doe bedding just to see what works and doesn't.

Anyone used.
Code blue standing estrus?
James valley ?
Ms doe pee?
Or others with any degree of success?

I don't intend to use scents at all in my bedding evening hunts. But some mornings near doe bedding.

I dunno if any of this would work but I do like to test things.

What's you guys thoughts?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Estrus scents.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 pm

Thp has had good luck with herman in certain situations.
I'm thinking I may have a few places that a decoy could become useful.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:13 am

I’ve had good results with the Code Blue standing estrous. Only on rut crazed bucks though. Had one 2.5 year old come busting through a heavy thicket to find it! No way he didn’t smell me, he just didn’t care. Fun to watch
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:35 am

Estrus is one of those things that I’ve had work and not work. It’s a great addition in some situations and better left in the bag in other situations. For me, during the rut with hot does everywhere it’s ineffective because the bucks are chasing the real thing instead of a scent. But estrus and tarsal glands being used during late season when there’s a lull in the action and bucks are still searching for hot does, scent can really enhance a good spot where community deer travel.

I use it as a drag rag on some hunts. I’ve also seen does come unglued and exit in a hurry when they smell estrus. I’ve also seen does that were in estrus themselves not think twice about it while they are being hounded by bucks.

I think you have the right idea about it being situational.

And yes, I’m frugal on scent, because I can’t justify with any credibility that expensive is any better than cheap deer . tinks is usually my go to.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:56 am

I've only had luck using scent once. It was early-mid November, used the Code Blue estrous gel scent on a scent drag. Didn't see much but a few does/fawns but then at the end of shooting light after I climbed down and started walking back across the open grass I see a buck slightly heading my way. As soon as he hit my trail where I walked in at, he was nose to the ground on a trot. We had a couple inches of snow on the ground so I could see him relatively well. I knelt down just to see how close I could let him get. He was nose down until he got about 6-7 yards away and realized I was there, basically in the wide open.

Other than that, I've tried many different brands, tried using tarsal gland patches from other deer that were shot, etc. and never felt like I ever attracted anything. Maybe I didn't use them in the right spots, right way, right day, etc. but I've used them enough to never buy them again.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 am

For scrapes/cams I am trying some buck fever synthetics this year. Use it on some scrapes and see if it impacts.

For killing bucks I used to use vs1 doe in heat. But I hate buying crap and most effective thing I have found hands down is fresh tarsal and they are free if you kill or stop by a processor.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:55 am

Wish i had a good one to add but i tried a lot of them and never had even a single incident where i could say the scent definitively helped and drew a buck in.

Actually, seemed like it was the opposite and actually spooked deer that would have otherwise just come in on their own.

Good luck with your experimenting though it’s always fun doing this kind of stuff. Especially if you have better results than i seemed to have with scents.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:10 am

I am trying to find the good, older thread for you to read but I cant find it in my bookmarks. Heres a poll tread I did about scents vs calls - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46671

In 2019 I tried BlackWidow and had great success with it, I really like scents for the right situations. I like to change it up and get hung up on one specific type or brand. One thing I would like to try in the next few weeks is dominant buck scent.

As PK mentioned I have heard great things about the orbital gland scents. Iv also heard great things about Wallhanger scents.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 am

I tried estrus scents my first couple years and never had any luck with them. I stopped using them when I noticed every single hunter in the Kettle Moraine using them - hanging white cotton sticks EVERYWHERE. Seems to me if you're in pressured areas like mine they don't do much good.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:44 am

I would give Ms Doe Pee a try. I personally haven't used it but I bought my bow there. Tons of monster bucks on his walls. I asked him how often he uses them and it's pretty much all the time, different scents/lures for the time of year. He seems extremely knowledgeable BUT he does the whole scent lok routine like eberhart does, is all about light and fast arrows with 100gr broadheads. Now nothing is wrong with any of that, the guy has monster bucks to show for it but he doesn't hunt mobile and only hunts his farm. So I'm not sure how well they would work being mobile all the time but I do know from what I have seen I would give his scents a try plus he is a heck of a nice guy with great bow prices and only 25mins from me!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 am

I shot two 2.5 year olds with scents.. 1 bow season that came into special golden estrus. I called it in and he was circling down wind till he got a wiff. The other was gun season. I had some active scrape scrape left over so I just made a mock scrape and dumped it in just to use it up. I made some calls with the can call and a little later the buck went straight to the scrape. Came in down wind of it. Just smelled it though. Nothing else. Took a few steps and I shot it. These were all in WI.
Red

Unread postby Red » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:55 am

I've had decent luck with the black widow scents and the Harmon scents on both private and public
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:19 am

I have my best luck with buck fever synthetics and black widow deer lures in scrapes with cams over them.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:32 am

I've had good luck with Tinks, but I don't use it as a lure. I rely on the buck's natural movement and spray it on the spot I want to arrow him. Sometimes they might get downwind from it and come back to investigate it, for a 2nd crack at him.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 am

Take a look at rubline scent. All natural and bottled fresh. If you're interested pm and I can get you a little better deal.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”