EPIC Beast Style Hunt...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

EPIC Beast Style Hunt...

Unread postby Robert501st » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:03 am

Have to share what I consider one of the best hunts I’ve experienced in a very long time. Didn’t result in a kill but had 99.5% of what makes the mobile style of bowhunting white tails so awesome.

Happened last Saturday on a first time attempt on a farm property I got permission for this year. Not a huge parcel - maybe 150 acres of mostly crop fields but with excellent transitions at the edges of fields and heavily timbered draws. Has a 20 acre mature hardwood woodlot on one end that I discovered turkeys love while scouting early last spring but isn’t where bucks live during the day. Contained plenty of big buck sign though so I knew there should be a big boy or two around.
IMG_7486.jpg

Far away from those woods I found three spots that appeared to be prime locations for mature bucks to bed up during the day. They all contained frequently used buck beds. Two were near isolated ponds. The other was closer to the woodlot at a fence line intersection.

Saturday the wind was right for hunting one of the pond spots so I slipped in real quiet around 3:330 in the afternoon, took my time setting up in a tree about 60 yards from where I suspected bucks might be and waited. Was confident I would at least see a buck from there. What I didn’t expect was that I’d set up practically on top of not just one mature buck but three! Two were solid P&Y 135-140 inches. The third, however, was a TOAD that I’m guessing could push 170.
IMG_7495.jpg

Spotted the first at 5:30 when it stood up to stretch not even 20 yards directly in front of me. It was tucked under a canopy of thick willow trees surrounded by a buffer of high stem count grass and weeds. The other two were in the same willows and weeds maybe 10 or 15 yards from each other. The wind was steady enough and cover so thick they never heard of saw me. Was watching the first one intently ready to draw when the other P&Y stepped out. That presented a quandary as I suddenly had two almost equally worthy bucks about to present a shot. Then the TOAD stepped out from his bed and walked a few yards into an open spot maybe 35 yards away. Made a slow turn to get in position to shoot it and did a quick distance calculation in my head. Unfortunately, I don’t math good.

Arrow whizzed right over his shoulder. It didn’t budge so I knocked another. It walked a few yards farther from the bed but still parallel. Drew again, took a deep breath, and aimed lower. This time the arrow went under his chest. Ooofff. He heard that one. Didn’t bolt but took a few quick steps that put too much brush between us for a good shot.

Spent the next fifteen minutes watching him piddle around with the others in the same general area never more than 40 or 50 yards away but never presenting another clear shot. During that time I heard other deer begin moving around the other side of the bedding area. Several does went to a still green soybean field to the north. The three bucks walked the 50 yards to the pond for a drink, then went off to another bean field to the south. No way I could get down and attempt a stalk on any of them undetected. All I could do was video them on my phone and wait for them to leave so I could get down and retrieve my arrows.
IMG_7504.jpg

IMG_E7502.jpg

Confident they never knew I was there at the time but I stunk the place up while looking for the arrows. Going to wait a few weeks then make another attempt when conditions are right. Totally choked on what should have been an easy peezy shot, but I’m still counting this hunt as a success.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
Djp32

Re: EPIC Beast Style Hunt...

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:20 am

Sounds pretty epic! Looks like you have the right attitude, just put it behind you and keep on getting after it! Good luck on the rest of your season!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:22 am

That's a good day
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 am

Lots and lots of wins on this hunt! Keep grinding, you’ll connect soon I’m sure!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:50 am

You nearly made it happen. Next time.
Persistence is undefeated.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Best of luck to you on your next go at him. Also, way to keep a positive attitude. You will certainly need that next time he comes around.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Great hunt! I can't judge distance 4 crap, went to cabelas and tested a bunch of range finders. Money well spent
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Sounds like a great hunt. I would caution waiting several weeks before going back in there. Lots of things will change in the next few weeks, strike while the iron is hot and before they change their patterns.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:55 pm

What a hunt!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:05 am

That's the way you get on them!! Look forward to your kill zone thread!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”