EPIC Beast Style Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

EPIC Beast Style Hunt

Unread postby Robert501st » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 am

Have to share what I consider one of the best hunts I’ve experienced in a very long time. Didn’t result in a kill but had 99.5% of what makes the mobile style of bowhunting white tails awesome.

Happened last Saturday on a first time attempt on a farm property I got permission for. Not a huge parcel - maybe 150 acres of mostly crop fields but with excellent soft transitions at the edges of fields and heavily timbered draws. Has a 20 acre mature hardwood woodlot on one end that I discovered turkeys love while scouting early last spring but isn’t where bucks live during the day. Contained plenty of big buck sign though so I knew there would be a big boy or two around.

Far away from those woods I found three spots that appeared to be prime locations for mature bucks to bed up during the day. They all contained frequently used buck beds. Two were near isolated ponds. The other was closer to the woodlot at a fence line intersection.
IMG_7486.jpg

Saturday the wind was right for hunting one of the pond spots so I slipped in real quiet around 3:330 in the afternoon, took my time setting up in a tree about 60 yards from where I suspected bucks might be and waited. Was confident I would at least see a buck from there. What I didn’t expect was that I’d set up practically on top of not just one mature buck but three! Two were solid P&Y 135-140 inches. The third, however, was a TOAD that I’m guessing could push 170.
IMG_7495.jpg

Spotted the first at 5:30 when it stood up to stretch not even 20 yards directly in front of me. It was tucked under a canopy of thick willow trees surrounded by a buffer of high stem count grass and weeds. The other two were in the same willows and weeds maybe 10 or 15 yards from each other. The wind was steady enough and cover so thick they never heard of saw me. Was watching the first one intently ready to draw when the other P&Y stepped out. That presented a quandary as I suddenly had two almost equally worthy bucks about to present a shot. Then the TOAD stepped out from his bed and walked a few yards into an open spot maybe 35 yards away. Made a slow turn to get in position to shoot it and did a quick distance calculation in my head. Unfortunately, I don’t math good.

Arrow whizzed right over his shoulder. It didn’t budge so I knocked another arrow. It walked a few yards farther from the bed but still parallel. Drew again, took a deep breath, and aimed lower. This time the arrow went under his chest. Ooofff. He heard that one. Didn’t bolt but took a few quick steps that put too much brush between us for a good shot.

Spent the next fifteen minutes watching him piddle around with the others in the same general area never more than 40 or 50 yards away but never presenting another clear shot. During that time I heard other deer begin moving around the other side of the bedding area. Several does went to a still green soybean field to the north. The three bucks walked the 50 yards to the pond for a drink, then went off to another bean field to the south. No way I could get down and attempt a stalk on any of them undetected. All I could do was video them on my phone and wait for them to leave so I could get down and retrieve my arrows. These are stills from video which wasn’t good because I had to take the phone off the camera arm, then waving branches and harsh sun made it impossible to get a good focus. They are still under 50 yards at that point.
IMG_E7502.jpg

IMG_E7504.jpg

Confident they never knew I was there at the time but I stunk the place up while looking for the arrows. Going to wait a few weeks, then make another attempt when conditions are right. Totally choked on what should have been an easy peezy shot, but I’m counting this hunt as a success.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: EPIC Beast Style Hunt

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:22 am

Oh man, that thing is a slammer!

I hope you get him!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:38 am

Your scouting paid off and you were on top of 3 shooters without being detected...definitely a success. That big one wont be so lucky next time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:57 am

Awesome encounters. 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:00 am

Very 8-) 8-)

Congratulations on an awesome hunt. Hoping you get to drag him out soon
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:09 am

Sweet freakin hunt man, stay on em!
Strategically Inefficient
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 am

Awesome hunt regardless of outcome, that stuff gets a guy pumped up!!! Thanks for sharing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 am

Too bad your arrows didn’t connect but a cool encounter nonetheless. Those are just as good as a kill with the memories etched in your mind. Hopefully you meet them again. Nothing wrong with the bucks winning from time to time but it’s fun to plan and seek future redemption. That’s what hunting’s all about.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:15 am

Thanks for the story.
Have you shot your bow since? Did your sight get bumped?

Is it still shooting right on and you just pulled the shot or peeked at your arrow.

Was there a twig in the cams?

We'll have to wait for the hero shot.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:47 am

Very cool! If you’re not going to hunt them right away I would definitely try to keep tabs on them. Is there any way to observe them from a distance? It’s not impossible they stay put, at the same time there’s no guarantee they’re still there in a few weeks. Especially if their food source changes :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”