Summer Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Summer Bucks

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:07 am

Hi, I just wanted to get your thoughts on summer bucks. Yes, I know big summer bucks on trail cameras aren't a good sign but has anybody had luck with these bucks coming back in the fall at all? If so what time frame was best? Or do you never see them come back? I just wondered because every summer in a bachelor group I get 2-3 big bucks on trail camera 1-2 times and they disappear and I don't ever see them again. I don't check cameras in the summer, I run cell cameras and go out once to change the batteries and that's it.

backstraps

Re: Summer Bucks

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 am

Can vary naturally from place to place

The ones I have watched personally….If I know of a summer core area then the bucks “disappear” once velvet sheds…

I have seen them back occasionally during the rut. However, for the most part it’s typically post rut, late season when the bucks are back.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:02 am

backstraps wrote:Can vary naturally from place to place

The ones I have watched personally….If I know of a summer core area then the bucks “disappear” once velvet sheds…

I have seen them back occasionally during the rut. However, for the most part it’s typically post rut, late season when the bucks are back.

Most of the wood lot where I am talking about is really thick and I thought bucks did not really like the thick stuff when horns are soft so it's hard for me to understand.
I still have some decent bucks on camera but these summer bucks are insane and I don't ever seem to get them back or its I am not doing the right things
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:32 am

How many acres?

Yes they absolutely can come back. Last year was only the second year I have had bucks in velvet stick around. I got one early Oct and another early Dec. I tend to see the younger ones stay more so than the mature ones but that varies deer to deer. I think the general consensus is they tend to come back around 2nd rut or late season. That's tough bc they have to survive rifle season.. They can definitely show during peak rut as well but it could be middle of the night.

Idk the full situation or the property but if its 100+ acres I would say adjust your cams for in-season or bounce them around to see if there is more happening. Sometimes they can adjust slightly and change their travel patterns but still be present. Also, building a good collection of long soaking pics can help plan for the following season. Its definitely tough!

Check out the collar studies that are out there look at their habits. Most cases they are still around more than we think. Some deer will travel many miles.

I agree w Backstraps that is can vary greatly place to place.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:26 am

Hildebrand wrote:Hi, I just wanted to get your thoughts on summer bucks. Yes, I know big summer bucks on trail cameras aren't a good sign but has anybody had luck with these bucks coming back in the fall at all? If so what time frame was best? Or do you never see them come back? I just wondered because every summer in a bachelor group I get 2-3 big bucks on trail camera 1-2 times and they disappear and I don't ever see them again. I don't check cameras in the summer, I run cell cameras and go out once to change the batteries and that's it.

False.

I'd rather have big bucks on camera than not have big bucks on camera.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 am

<DK> wrote:How many acres?

Yes they absolutely can come back. Last year was only the second year I have had bucks in velvet stick around. I got one early Oct and another early Dec. I tend to see the younger ones stay more so than the mature ones but that varies deer to deer. I think the general consensus is they tend to come back around 2nd rut or late season. That's tough bc they have to survive rifle season.. They can definitely show during peak rut as well but it could be middle of the night.

Idk the full situation or the property but if its 100+ acres I would say adjust your cams for in-season or bounce them around to see if there is more happening. Sometimes they can adjust slightly and change their travel patterns but still be present. Also, building a good collection of long soaking pics can help plan for the following season. Its definitely tough!

Check out the collar studies that are out there look at their habits. Most cases they are still around more than we think. Some deer will travel many miles.

I agree w Backstraps that is can vary greatly place to place.

wood lot is 40 ish acers. I feel like i have a decent hold on it with the fee cameras i have out. I could be wrong tho.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:37 am

Primetime41 wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:Hi, I just wanted to get your thoughts on summer bucks. Yes, I know big summer bucks on trail cameras aren't a good sign but has anybody had luck with these bucks coming back in the fall at all? If so what time frame was best? Or do you never see them come back? I just wondered because every summer in a bachelor group I get 2-3 big bucks on trail camera 1-2 times and they disappear and I don't ever see them again. I don't check cameras in the summer, I run cell cameras and go out once to change the batteries and that's it.

False.

How? Having big summer bucks on camera doesn't help me in the fall.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:46 am

Hildebrand wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:

False.

I never said it did. But your basically saying it hurts you in the fall. That's completely untrue.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 am

I would start asking myself, why are they there in the summer? Then why do they move in the fall. Where is the food, where are the does? When the bachelor groups break up, do you get one buck keeping this as a core area? Why or why not? On 40 acres, it is still pretty easy for a buck to be in there but not catch him on camera.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 pm

Primetime41 wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:

False.

I never said it did. But your basically saying it hurts you in the fall. That's completely untrue.

I get what you're saying. Them being there in the summer doesn't translate them to being in my woods in the fall.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Huntress13 wrote:I would start asking myself, why are they there in the summer? Then why do they move in the fall. Where is the food, where are the does? When the bachelor groups break up, do you get one buck keeping this as a core area? Why or why not? On 40 acres, it is still pretty easy for a buck to be in there but not catch him on camera.

That is a great question. I don't know the answer too. Maybe you can help? 40 acres surrounded by ag, no water in the woods but I have added a water tub this year. Deer love it. Lots of water close by tho. As for bedding, a good section was logged out heavy 10 years ago and is supper thick, lots of thick cover and a ton of tops were left so there's lots of bedding. As for food, we have corn, beans, wheat rotating. A good amount of oaks in the woods. As for pressure, nobody goes in the thick bedding area until after the season to scout. As for doe, we don't have a load of a doe that stays in the woods. Usually, I take a doe every year but we don't have the big herds of them. And yes, every year ill have a bachelor group of bucks until about mid-October stay, and then one will stay. But from yearly data, I always get random bucks over in the wood lots over the course of the season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”