Adapting to added pressure..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter99

Adapting to added pressure..

Unread postby Bowhunter99 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:01 pm

I think I probably relate to a large percentage of guys on here when I say that pressure in my area is getting heavier every year, and for obvious reason… information is so much easier to access nowadays, mapping is much more clear and outlined than it used to be, multitudes of people have learned that there ARE actually big deer on public land etc…

Curious to hear some thoughts you guys have as to how to adapt to this.. I have a few theories of my own as well.. the deer aren’t just going to disappear.

Good things come to those who earn them :clap:
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Adapting to added pressure..

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Just my 2 cents but I think guys get way too hung up on other people pressure. I just try to hunt the deer, that requires finding them and setting up on them. The deer seem to know how to avoid all the people so if you find the deer, in general you are not in the people. Also hunting week days helps, but during the rut there is always people on the public. The majority of people are still lazy and are not going the extra mile, also they get scared away and pushed off the public really easily. 99.9 % of the time when I find big buck sign it’s because it’s a pocket where people don’t go. They are masters at avoiding hunters. If you can master hunting the mature deer you will avoid the people. I’m not anywhere closes to that yet but when can find the good buck, it’s always overlooked in one way or another. Or it’s overlooked during that specific time period.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 pm

Just continuing to scout really helps. I have some spots that are good every year I have hunted them, and others that are only good for 2-3 or just the season. And once I really started being mobile, I very rarely have issues regarding people. If I do, then there is a better spot out there.

So much goes into making or breaking a spot. Always gotta be adjusting to stay on them otherwise you will fall behind. Hunters are only one of the many variables we have to play with.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bowhunter99

Unread postby Bowhunter99 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm

I guess what I mean by added pressure is more people hunting the “right” spots. The places you’d always have to yourself 5 years ago.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:25 pm

You want a opinion then I will give ya one! Technology brings out the laziest of lazy. If there was no FB or Instagram folks hungering for a look at me pic I believe we would have 75% less folks to deal with. Right now it appears slumming with the po folk on public is all the rage. But it will pass like every other fad that isn’t as easy as it was made out to be. Until then the “big secret” at least as I see it. Is being very familiar with the woods you hunt. As a few seasons roll by you will discover what deer do to avoid pressure. Then you can set up and be there waiting ahead of time when the switch flips.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm

I can hunt afternoons during the week until the time changes. That definitely helps. I rarely run into anybody most of the time. Usually a zoo on weekends or after the first couple weeks of season. Also finding pockets in the pockets is key.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Bowhunter99 wrote:I guess what I mean by added pressure is more people hunting the “right” spots. The places you’d always have to yourself 5 years ago.

Gotta adapt just like you would for water level changes, vegetation changes, wolves, etc.

If hunting pressure increases those spots won’t be good anymore. Will lose the reason that they were good in the first place. Scouting is a never ending process
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Jonny wrote:
Bowhunter99 wrote:I guess what I mean by added pressure is more people hunting the “right” spots. The places you’d always have to yourself 5 years ago.

Gotta adapt just like you would for water level changes, vegetation changes, wolves, etc.

If hunting pressure increases those spots won’t be good anymore. Will lose the reason that they were good in the first place. Scouting is a never ending process

BINGO
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Hunt where they aren't.

While I'm working in through an area I'm keeping an eye out for people sign as much as deer sign.

It might be the cool thing to do right now. But I highly doubt it lasts long. Too much time and work for most guys. No ATVs keep most the wannabes away. I work with a bunch of fellow hunters. Only 1 dabbles with public land and mobile hunting....they think I'm a whack job. Lol.

I honestly haven't seen a drastic change. Early season is mostly empty. I don't see anyone out there scouting....so I feel like I'm still ahead. I do find some trail cams and illegal bait/mineral sites leading upto the season. Never anywhere near where I'm heading.

I did get beat one year. Sniffed out a gut pile from the opener (I was there the 2nd day) it was 75-100yds from where I wanted to set up. I was committed to the spot at that point. Decided to go on with it. Found his climber bites on the same exact tree I picked.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:18 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:Just my 2 cents but I think guys get way too hung up on other people pressure. I just try to hunt the deer, that requires finding them and setting up on them. The deer seem to know how to avoid all the people so if you find the deer, in general you are not in the people. Also hunting week days helps, but during the rut there is always people on the public. The majority of people are still lazy and are not going the extra mile, also they get scared away and pushed off the public really easily. 99.9 % of the time when I find big buck sign it’s because it’s a pocket where people don’t go. They are masters at avoiding hunters. If you can master hunting the mature deer you will avoid the people. I’m not anywhere closes to that yet but when can find the good buck, it’s always overlooked in one way or another. Or it’s overlooked during that specific time period.

Yup! This ^
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:54 am

I was always afraid of the pressure I wasn't aware of. We are always talking about eliminating unproductive ground. Pressure helps you do this...therefore condensing down the productive ground.

I try to remember I only need one hunt a year to work out, and if it never does it never does. Pressure used to frustrate me...now I just roll with it. I've had other hunters move into where I'm sitting at times...I just signal for them to climb up or sit down. Id prefer that than them marching around for another hour...and really who cares? I'll enjoy the hunt and fight another day.

Last year year my buddy was texting me all bummed in late October on stand as duck hunters blasted away 80 yards from him. A half hour later he shot a beauty. Never forget YOU are also the Pressure to someone else.
Bowhunter99

Unread postby Bowhunter99 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 am

I agree on all ends for the most part. The way I see it is this, the majority of the obvious, quality, reliable spots of yesteryear, (points and islands in marsh and swamp, thick leeward ridges in the hills etc..) are turning into mediocre and somewhat pressured from a general standpoint. I’ve good encounters in recent seasons in these same type of locations, but more so in the ones that are less obvious on a map or even with the naked eye.

I’d like to think that the “peak” of this pressure increase will occur within the next year or two, but only time will tell.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 am

I would add that you may have to relocate them. Do more scouting and try to find the fresh sign. you'll be surprised sometimes where these bucks will hide out based off the pressure. Sometimes there right by where you park and watch you walk in. Their not always remote. Ive bumped many bucks right by a road or 2 track.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:45 am

Pressure is where it is. If I'm running into people I either use their existence against them in an advantageous way or I keep moving until I find a buck to hunt. I will totally shift areas if I'm not having success.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:50 am

Been very real here and seems to be accelerating the past few years. A lot of factors at play but it has to level off at a certain point. Places that used to be marginal with pressure now unhuntable. Places that used to have no pressure, guys are showing up frequently. I am thankful to have access to millions of acres of public land. I grew up an area with smaller and fewer parcels and there's really nothing to do there. If I still lived where I grew up I think I'd be looking very heavily at buying property and playing the deer husbandry game.

All I've really figured out besides bishing about it is don't get married to places. Conquer that recency and confirmation biases, a huge obstacle to becoming a better hunter. Certainly seeing a lot more people hunting like I always have, low impact, mobile, bounce around a lot. Don't so much mind that. It's when the selfish ladder stand jackwagons move in and mess up a good spot, cutting trails and lanes, master baiters, spy cameras everywhere. Seeing a lot more of that also, all kinds of kinds out there. I take a moment to get hacked off, then I put that spot in the L column and move onto the next one. Have plan A,B,C,D...and X,Y,Z ready to deploy. Always looking for that next honey hole is part of the enjoyment for me.

There's always golf. I used to be pretty good at that but I rarely play anymore.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”