Any mock scrapers here?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Any mock scrapers here?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:06 am

Was kicking back the other night and came across an article about mock scrapes. I have a buddy that swears by them early season and has had some success.
I never really got into them, but for some odd ball reason that I cant think of, I thought of making 1 or 2 for the heck of it. Anyone believe in mock scrapes? and do you use them near actual scrapes (that are in cover or transition cover of course) or do you just "freshen up" a current scrape? Just curious. I've hunted over scrapes that are active but never approached and put my scent near it to "freshen" them up. Whats everyone's thoughts?

Woodsy211
500 Club

Re: Any mock scrapers here?

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 am

I use em all the time to set cameras . I freshen up
Old ones from the fall if they appear to be in a good location . As a matter of fact, freshened one up yesterday and had a decent buck check it. Everything seems to check em, coyotes, bears, u name it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am

I wouldn’t say I swear by them. Being honest I feel they don’t do squat 75% of the time. But when they seldom work like a charm I’m happy I spent the 5 minute effort. For me the thing is….. if the spot is worthy of a scrape there would already be a real one. Believe a fake sometimes raises suspicion of what the heck is that. I mean bucks know why scrapes are in a particular spot. However, traveling bucks that only come through once don’t. When they look and see fresh kicked up dirt they often flock to it and present a natural standing, close, broadside shot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:24 pm

I've had some luck pulling in bucks for inventory purposes, and a few in daylight as well. Seems like I had much better success in years 2 and 3 than when first starting out. Really need to get the young bucks and does using them steady, then the big fellows follow.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 pm

I have many mock scrapes that have been going for years and get hit year round
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 pm

I use them all the time, I put one in front of every stand on the private propertys I can hunt, and use them on public for inventory and finding doe family groups. Iv yet to kill a buck over one but they serve as a Inventory tool for me and a distraction to the deer. Start mine mid summer most of the time that way come season there good and used by deer.
Bbrewer

Unread postby Bbrewer » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:07 am

I don't think they really influence deer patterns or general movement, but most deer that notice them will come check them out. I use them at cameras or sometimes to entice one to the right spot if I have a tight shooting lane.

If you're using one at the intended shot location you have to balance the potential for spreading more ground scent vs. needing a deer to stop. If I made a clean and well planned entry I'll usually skip it rather than spread more scent and make more noise.
WVArcher32

Unread postby WVArcher32 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:53 am

I've never killed a buck over a scrape yet, however mock scrapes or pre existing scrapes do great for trail cam pics if you want to know what's in the area.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:45 am

I do it almost exclusively for inventory purposes and to see when they’re passing through. I’ve never killed a buck over a scrape and most aren’t in the right location when I find them. I’ve messed with a couple scents and some are worthless. My best experience however has been with BF Synthetics. The same day I put it out on an oak branch I had does and bucks hit it. I only sprayed this one time and let the deer take it from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 am

Good input everyone thank you. I can see where they would come in handy for inventory purposes. Something I may play around with. To make them and hunt over them I dont see the point. Seems time consuming and counter productive.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:23 am

Elite wrote:I do it almost exclusively for inventory purposes and to see when they’re passing through. I’ve never killed a buck over a scrape and most aren’t in the right location when I find them. I’ve messed with a couple scents and some are worthless. My best experience however has been with BF Synthetics. The same day I put it out on an oak branch I had does and bucks hit it. I only sprayed this one time and let the deer take it from there.

Thanks for that. I was going to ask too what scents to use. Very interesting. I am assuming you want to match the right scent with right time of season, correct? Like you wouldn't use doe estrous scent right now, but maybe a buck urine?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:29 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Elite wrote:I do it almost exclusively for inventory purposes and to see when they’re passing through. I’ve never killed a buck over a scrape and most aren’t in the right location when I find them. I’ve messed with a couple scents and some are worthless. My best experience however has been with BF Synthetics. The same day I put it out on an oak branch I had does and bucks hit it. I only sprayed this one time and let the deer take it from there.

Thanks for that. I was going to ask too what scents to use. Very interesting. I am assuming you want to match the right scent with right time of season, correct? Like you wouldn't use doe estrous scent right now, but maybe a buck urine?

I would never get any type of urine or scent that you can buy from a sporting goods store. The best way is to go directly to a deer farm or distributor that gets it within hours of collection.
I only use forehead glands now, but have tried preorbital.
Dustin77

Unread postby Dustin77 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:46 am

I mostly hunt public, but I do own 40 acres of wooded land that my house sits on that I use mock scrapes very effectively. Does, fawns, bucks, will all rub their pre-orbital gland scents on the hanging branch that I tie in the tree. ( I use a grapevine about 1" diameter.) And the best scent to use? Your own urine, it's free. In my experience, I have had mature bucks in the scrapes the next day pawing up the ground and using licking branch. I don't think it spooks them at all.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 am

I made a mock scrape 3 years ago in the summer and to this day I have deer hit that scrape. Doe, fawns, and bucks. Last year pre-rut I had a few bucks hitting it a lot in daylight. This year I have a cell camera on it and if a nice buck starts to hit it I will be in there to set up
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:41 am

I don’t make mock scrapes, I have a half a dozen that have been there multiple years that I will open September first and ha g cameras on them. I kick it out and pee in the scrape. Yes it works, had a 5.5 year old buck at 11:30 am work the scrape the day after I opened it and hung the camera the first part of September this year. I don’t hunt them typically but they are good to see what’s using certain bedding areas as these are all close to bedding. Some you will find are more for the rut as they won’t pick up until the end of this month. Others are better in early season and some are year specific (acorns or not) but they all give me a feel for the types of areas I should be hunting at the given time in the season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”