Name that nut!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bentstraight

Re: Name that nut!

Unread postby Bentstraight » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:Really enjoying this thread. Here is another one, more specific to the appilacians and north east. They will feed on he fresh fallen leaves and in winter sometimes browse on the small stems and Twiggs.

Striped mapel?

You got it.

Want for sure as we don't have that it this way. Silver maple during least drop can be awesome, especially if the woods aren't filled with them.

I have found the same, the smaller isolated patches.

Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 pm

Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:Really enjoying this thread. Here is another one, more specific to the appilacians and north east. They will feed on he fresh fallen leaves and in winter sometimes browse on the small stems and Twiggs.

Striped mapel?

You got it.

Want for sure as we don't have that it this way. Silver maple during least drop can be awesome, especially if the woods aren't filled with them.

i would have said tulip poplar, ive heard a lot about the silver maple but i havent ever found it on my own to be true
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Striped mapel?

You got it.

Wasnt for sure as we don't have that out this way. I remember they had a slang name for it but can't remember it off hand. Silver maple during leaf drop can be awesome, especially if the woods aren't filled with them.

Also called: Moosewood, Goosefoot Maple or Whistlewood.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:17 am

Djp32 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Striped mapel?

You got it.

i would have said tulip poplar, ive heard a lot about the silver maple buti havent ever found it on my own to be true

Where do you hunt?
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:12 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Djp32 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Striped mapel?

You got it.

i would have said tulip poplar, ive heard a lot about the silver maple buti havent ever found it on my own to be true

Where do you hunt?

I hunt in sw pa, maybe I worded that wrong I’m not implying that it’s not true I’m just saying I’ve never took note of it or observed it for myself, basically I had no idea they were interested in silver maple leaves
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:39 am

Djp32 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Djp32 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Striped mapel?

You got it.

Where do you hunt?

I hunt in sw pa, maybe I worded that wrong I’m not implying that it’s not true I’m just saying I’ve never took note of it or observed it for myself, basically I had no idea they were interested in silver maple leaves

no worries sometimes they totally ignore food sources it really depends on how many other food sources are out there. In ag areas with plenty of beans and corn and acorns they might totally ignore maple leaves? In other areas where there's very limited browse it could be the hotspot so to say. What I think really happens with food sources is there our Staples that dare use throughout the year and then there are those select items that only come in for a short season and the deer know these and hit them hard when they're available because it's something new and different that they can't get the rest of the year. Locust pods are a classic example the deer around here hit them hard when other brows dries up or dies off. In ag areas where there is plenty of beans later in the year they may not hit them at all.
Swamp Beast

Unread postby Swamp Beast » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:14 am

I dont want to ruin the game, but here's a good fieldguide for oaks on the eastern half of United States.

https://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/tech ... dguide.pdf
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:37 am

IMG_20210930_113636252.jpg

Anybody know what this is??? It has a milkweed like stalk
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:47 am

john1984 wrote:IMG_20210930_113636252.jpg

Anybody know what this is??? It has a milkweed like stalk

Looks like Horse Nettle to me.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:26 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Djp32 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Djp32 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Striped mapel?

You got it.

Where do you hunt?

no worries sometimes they totally ignore food sources it really depends on how many other food sources are out there. In ag areas with plenty of beans and corn and acorns they might totally ignore maple leaves? In other areas where there's very limited browse it could be the hotspot so to say. What I think really happens with food sources is there our Staples that dare use throughout the year and then there are those select items that only come in for a short season and the deer know these and hit them hard when they're available because it's something new and different that they can't get the rest of the year. Locust pods are a classic example the deer around here hit them hard when other brows dries up or dies off. In ag areas where there is plenty of beans later in the year they may not hit them at all.

Funny to mention honey locust. Farm where I learned to hunt has several of them, but tons of other available browse and I always check, but the deer never touch them. Go an hour east into some big woods river bottoms and if you can find a honey locust tree early before acorns drop and persimmons you can wear the deer out on them. But theres just so much browse where I am they never give um a look
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 am

:lol:
Boogieman1 wrote:
john1984 wrote:Keep in mind there are 2 different types of hickory nuts in WI. Shagbark and BitterNut hickory.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hPGDTwdqDME8a5q8A

John, believe those are what is often referred to as DEEZ nuts! :lol:
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”