Overlooked public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mtnmonster

Overlooked public

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:01 am

I just found out that there is a 400 acre refuge open to hunting near me. I spoke with the area manager and he said besides the youth dove hunt there are very few people that hunt the refuge. Its open to hunting until Nov 15.a couple weeks ago I was at the dove opener and on the way home I saw a big (for this area)mature buck in a private field just outside the refuge. I think he was just pushed out from dove hunters. I've never been on this property so I have no scouting done there. Season opens this weekend for me. How would I best approach hunting this area? I know its very thich and well planted with corn and other stuff. So food sources I wouldn't think would be reliable to hunt. I was thinking of looking at aerials and topos and just griding the property and hunting/scout the best spots one hunt at a time depending on wind and access. Does this sound like a good idea. I've noticed the deer in the general area seem to be on the move in small groups. Never seem to be in the same place twice. So hard to pattern them

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Overlooked public

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:07 am

It’s always a good idea to explore- see if you still feel the same after. You can never have too many options when it comes to deer hunting. Some places I skip a few years on, some I hit every year…. Just listen to what the woods tell you.
Ryan
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 am

Does it set up well for observing?
Mtnmonster

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am

Lockdown wrote:Does it set up well for observing?

There is one hill I may be able to do some glassing from. Most of the area is tall crp, and thick briar. There is a creek that runs through it. The state has small fields and roads but I would be mostly in the open. There are a lot of transitions through out. To give a mental picture its basically over grown pastures with some hidden fields. Not many tall trees but a few I may be able to put a stand in. There is a couple trees I may be able to observe from if I'm careful with my wind and entry.
Mtnmonster

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am

It is definitely a place I plan on putting alot of time into after season. I even thought about asking the manager if I can put up some cams before they close it off in Nov and get them in the spring. Just to get an idea about whats going on in there.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:46 am

Mtnmonster wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Does it set up well for observing?

There is one hill I may be able to do some glassing from. Most of the area is tall crp, and thick briar. There is a creek that runs through it. The state has small fields and roads but I would be mostly in the open. There are a lot of transitions through out. To give a mental picture its basically over grown pastures with some hidden fields. Not many tall trees but a few I may be able to put a stand in. There is a couple trees I may be able to observe from if I'm careful with my wind and entry.

It reminds me of a spot a friend of mine is hunting. Pockets of cover in a CRP scenario can get tough regarding consistency, but there has to be some higher odds bedding out there somewhere.

My philosophy on new spots is I would rather get too aggressive than not aggressive enough. If one of those trees is located in an ideal spot, climbing as high as you can can teach you A LOT. If you aren’t sure if you’re going to burn bedding by observing from it, try it then you’ll know.

I have had multiple areas that I’ve more or less sacrificed my chance at a kill this season to get intel for next season. In season intel is the best there is. If you can learn a lot this fall, then really tear into that place in the spring, you should be in pretty good shape next year.

Timing is the hardest part. If you do throw a sit at a bedding area and it doesn’t pan out, bring a flashlight and go check the bedding out after dark. Your scent is in there and it’s burned anyway so what is more scent going to hurt? Not much.

I’ve done that before and it really helps. If you dive in and find rubs galore in early October, that’s very valuable information. Now you have a timeline vs finding those rubs in November or spring.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am

In my area and in my experience there is no such thing as overlooked public hunting grounds. If u think so, then how did u find it? I put my foot in my mouth a few years ago giving easy alternatives that proved costly. So I will offer this. Best spots I’ve ever found are public but not necessarily for hunting purposes. These type areas often let some deer get on up in age. Takes work and thinking outside the box. But as years roll by u will look at a spot and say I bet a biggen lives here! Lots of hunters with rifles/xbows equal dead deer. Regardless of talent that is a fact. High pressured public isn’t a result of old bucks being so wise. It’s a case of they were all shot while young with very few slipping through the cracks.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mtnmonster

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:32 am

Boogieman1 wrote:In my area and in my experience there is no such thing as overlooked public hunting grounds. If u think so, then how did u find it? I put my foot in my mouth a few years ago giving easy alternatives that proved costly. So I will offer this. Best spots I’ve ever found are public but not necessarily for hunting purposes. These type areas often let some deer get on up in age. Takes work and thinking outside the box. But as years roll by u will look at a spot and say I bet a biggen lives here! Lots of hunters with rifles/xbows equal dead deer. Regardless of talent that is a fact. High pressured public isn’t a result of old bucks being so wise. It’s a case of they were all shot while young with very few slipping through the cracks.

I completely agree. This is not completely overlooked. As I said I spoke with the refuge manager. He is also the manager of one of the other public land I hunt. I asked him about the refuge and he said there aren't many people at all that go in there. He maybe sees 3 or 4 hunters a year outside the youth dove hunt there. I belive him too. I drive by the access areas alot and never seen someone there. He said most people don't know its open to hunting because its a refuge. I don't doubt most of the areas around me are hunted but I'm seeking spots on those that people don't go often. For me to find a public place like this around here is rare. Now if I can find a stealthy way to navigate thick briar patches I know I'd be alone in quite a few places lol

My main goal with this place is to learn. We don't have many mature bucks around and I know there is one local to this area. I believe once muzzleloader and gun season start in November he must be heading to the refuge because I don't think he would stand much of a chance against the hunting pressure in that area. Even if I never get him I have an opportunity that's not easy to come by here and that is to learn about a mature whitetail and his habits. What I can possibly learn from this area can help me elsewhere and first hand knowledge is always better than reading forums and YouTube videos.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:32 am

Mtnmonster wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:In my area and in my experience there is no such thing as overlooked public hunting grounds. If u think so, then how did u find it? I put my foot in my mouth a few years ago giving easy alternatives that proved costly. So I will offer this. Best spots I’ve ever found are public but not necessarily for hunting purposes. These type areas often let some deer get on up in age. Takes work and thinking outside the box. But as years roll by u will look at a spot and say I bet a biggen lives here! Lots of hunters with rifles/xbows equal dead deer. Regardless of talent that is a fact. High pressured public isn’t a result of old bucks being so wise. It’s a case of they were all shot while young with very few slipping through the cracks.

I completely agree. This is not completely overlooked. As I said I spoke with the refuge manager. He is also the manager of one of the other public land I hunt. I asked him about the refuge and he said there aren't many people at all that go in there. He maybe sees 3 or 4 hunters a year outside the youth dove hunt there. I belive him too. I drive by the access areas alot and never seen someone there. He said most people don't know its open to hunting because its a refuge. I don't doubt most of the areas around me are hunted but I'm seeking spots on those that people don't go often. For me to find a public place like this around here is rare. Now if I can find a stealthy way to navigate thick briar patches I know I'd be alone in quite a few places lol

My main goal with this place is to learn. We don't have many mature bucks around and I know there is one local to this area. I believe once muzzleloader and gun season start in November he must be heading to the refuge because I don't think he would stand much of a chance against the hunting pressure in that area. Even if I never get him I have an opportunity that's not easy to come by here and that is to learn about a mature whitetail and his habits. What I can possibly learn from this area can help me elsewhere and first hand knowledge is always better than reading forums and YouTube videos.

Not arguing one bit with what u said. In fact sounds like a honey of a plan. Will say in my experiences in that type area u r are describing is where I have run into the worst of worst as far as hunters. You run into a group of folks who have pretty much free run of public ground for decades and they feel they own the place. I’m not telling u that to discourage you. I’m telling u that cause you have as much right to be there as anyone so don’t take no crap from these people. They are bullies and sadly it usually works. Not saying u gotta go ape **** on em. Use whatever resources that are available. If this isn’t the case at all then u have a light pressure situation that should pay off and I honestly wish u the best.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mtnmonster

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Not arguing one bit with what u said. In fact sounds like a honey of a plan. Will say in my experiences in that type area u r are describing is where I have run into the worst of worst as far as hunters. You run into a group of folks who have pretty much free run of public ground for decades and they feel they own the place. I’m not telling u that to discourage you. I’m telling u that cause you have as much right to be there as anyone so don’t take no crap from these people. They are bullies and sadly it usually works. Not saying u gotta go ape **** on em. Use whatever resources that are available. If this isn’t the case at all then u have a light pressure situation that should pay off and I honestly wish u the best.

I completely get what you are saying. I've ran into those types of hunters before. Not always fun, but it sure can be lol. I usually drive to the next spot if someone is already in the parking area unless I see them. Then I try to communicate about where they're going and where I'm going.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:31 am

As soon as the vultures see your truck parked there or you walking in with a bow it wont be overlooked for long :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”