Buck Bedding in wide open ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckslayer#13

Buck Bedding in wide open ground

Unread postby Buckslayer#13 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:24 pm

I am not sure how what to compare the land I am referring to with another example. I hunt West central Louisiana and this particular piece gets prescribe burned every year so everything is a few sparsely scattered big pine trees with ferns and no tall vegetation at all, wide open ranges with no cover, and these skinny 15 yard wide creek drainages that are really nasty and grow no ground vegitation at all. I guess maybe the bedding would compare to the dakotas or wioming because it is literally rolling hills with just basically prairie grass as an under story. I’ve never hunted here so I would like to hear y’all’s opinions on this. There is a lot of deer here as I have seen them hear in turkey season. I just don’t know there patterns

“And there came a voice to him, rise Peter; kill and eat”- Acts 10:13
oldscooldarton

Re: Buck Bedding in wide open ground

Unread postby oldscooldarton » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm

I’m in the Baton Rouge area.
I would scout the piece well and let sign tell you what’s there and how they use the property. Or just hunt another property.
Buckslayer#13

Unread postby Buckslayer#13 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Ok that’s cool. I was referring to fort Polk.Bow Season opens sep 18 there and I’ve always wanted to kill one in September. But it appears that almost everything is closed for this September bow season :?
“And there came a voice to him, rise Peter; kill and eat”- Acts 10:13
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Buckslayer#13 wrote:Ok that’s cool. I was referring to fort Polk.Bow Season opens sep 18 there and I’ve always wanted to kill one in September. But it appears that almost everything is closed for this September bow season :?

Want to kill one in Sept far and away the best way to do it is hunt their summer patterns. In WI at least, they are often still in bachelor groups hitting soybean fields for the first couple weeks of the season.

Bonus, they don’t quite know they’re being hunted yet.

Probably would be much easier to avoid bedding altogether, especially tough to hunt bedding, and instead be where they want to be feeding. And i mean right where they want to enter a field or something and be there 4 hours early.

That’s how i approach my first couple weeks anyways. A few years ago i killed my Target buck on the second day of the WI archery season in Sept doing just what i described above. I had 7, that’s right 7, mature Bucks come in all at once just about 30 yards inside the timber off a bean field. It was only 3:30pm.

It was the same bachelor group i had been glassing from a half mile away prior to season and i was in the same corner they had been entering the field. It was almost too easy.

But that type of pattern changes quick as those bucks will disperse to their fall range before Oct hits for sure. First week or two and they’re off those summer patterns.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”