Deer is down, gut before going back for sled?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Deer is down, gut before going back for sled?

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 am

Every time I have shot a deer in the past, I walk up on it gut it and drag it out with a rope on the ground. My drags were always done solo as I hunt alone and they were never that bad as I never went in deep (thats what she said) and when there is snow on the ground the body just kinda slides along and its not that bad at all.

Im going to day to get a Pelican Trek 60 sled to drag out a monster from the swamp because this year my longest walk is 2500 meters in one way (1.5 miles in the USA)

Do I gut the bruiser then walk back for the sled? My concern is another predator smelling the gut pile then helping themself to my HARD earned buck while Im walking 3 miles, the other concern is the meat kinda going bad if I dont gut him first.

Am I overthinking this?

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
JustinP

Re: Deer is down, gut before going back for sled?

Unread postby JustinP » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am

In my opinion you can't gut them and cool them off fast enough, so yes, I'd gut it and then go get the sled.
A predator or scavenger is going to smell it either way, I suppose you could hoist it up into a tree if you're real concerned about it.
And/or bring your sled part way in with you.
Last edited by JustinP on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am

I’d personally gut him, and leave some clothing (normally my heavy outer layer) on the deer to deter predators.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:21 am

You don't want swamp water in the chest cavity. Other then that I would gut it if that's not a concern. Congrats on your kill!
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:22 am

I typically go back, get my kill kit, sled, or pack frame, anyone willing to help, etc then i come back ready to go and gut the deer then.

I wouldnt worry about the few hours or so to run out and get what you need then come back to get the deer out. Especially if its a clean kill and not gut shot. If its warm and gut shot id probably get it taken care of right away then go get my stuff.

But the meat isnt going to go bad in just a few hours or so. I keep my kill kit, deer cart, etc in my truck all fall.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:33 am

Moose wrote:You don't want swamp water in the chest cavity. Other then that I would gut it if that's not a concern. Congrats on your kill!

Season has not startd yet up here. Just asking in advance
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:27 am

go get the sled.

Give yourself some time to let the adrenaline calm down before you pull out a knife.

Temperature, shot location, weather forecast, and other variables may make it necessary to gut asap. Ideally, wait a bit.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:39 am

I just prefer to get the gutting done ASAP.
If you do that and pull the carcass some distance away from the gut pile and then toss a piece of your clothing on the deer, the coyotes will feed on the gutpile first, probably saving the carcass long enough for you to return.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:43 am

Gut him and leave your hat or socks hanging there... so predators also smell you. They'll generally stay away... I hang one of those snap glow sticks over the deer too.. Makes it easier to re-find when I come back with the sled - usually in the dark.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:05 am

I never gut near my kill site. That's a great way to tip off humans. I could careless about the rest of the predators.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:06 am

If I'm planning to drag him I'll usually gut right away. If I'm packing him out I won't gut him.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:06 am

I personally dont. I dont even take my knife w me anymore, I've lost 2 of my favorites bc I always carried it w me.

I make the shot, wait a bit, assess the situation, head back to gear up or let him go for the night.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:09 am

oldrank wrote:I never gut near my kill site. That's a great way to tip off humans. I could careless about the rest of the predators.

I think that could work both ways- as in - "Dang, somebody already killed a big one here; well, this place is shot. Time to move on..."
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 am

I always gut it first to try and cool the carcass off. Usually the deer runs into cover so i try to hide the guts in leaves and laurel to try and keep the spot from standing out. I even went as far as burying the guts to try to keep the location secret. We don't have a huge predator problem here so i dont have to worry about that.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:21 am

I have a bit of a routine (unless I just see the deer drop) I wait in the tree 30 minutes after the shot. Then climb down and stick an arrow in the dirt where the shot happened. Then I head to the truck, drop of my gear, grab my kill pack and some water. Helps me pass the time and not rush a recovery. As someone else mentioned getting my emotions back in check. From that point on I wanna get the guts out and skin off as quick as possible if I’m going for top shelf venison. I prefer a pack out vs a sled drag. At least with a pack out when I get back to the truck I’m pretty much done. A hard sled drag and your day has just started.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”