The Element - Map Scout Challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G-Patt
500 Club

Re: The Element - Map Scout Challenge

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 am

I really like the Element guys. And I agree with the sentiment that they should not reveal hunting areas so as to protect the interest of the local guys who hunt them. I wouldn't want that to happen to me. Do unto others....

On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:07 am

Yeah, pretty simple don’t show the exact map with names or coordinates. I feel like that is common knowledge. The idea is that concepts can be used on a large scale over different states within similar habitat. They need to remedy this.

I think these guys have a place. I think the videos are generally interesting and well done. Not every hunter is the same or has to be “hard” to gain my respect. Are you successful and are you enjoying yourself? Then soft it is I guess. As with all hunting content I think it is important to look past the surface and see if the knowledge is sound.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 am

Deerhunter323 wrote:Wow, sounds like someone is upset that they are trying to teach and do a good job explaining why they chose that area. Kind of hard to do without showing the map and a larger view of the area to discuss the reason that spot is good. Even if they didn't post the name of the area it isn't that hard to find where that spot was for the lazy hunters that are not willing to do the work on their own. For the guys that would try and use that info to hunt there either they are new hunters or they don't want to put the work in themselves and if that is the case then whether it is the element or the public land challenge or the Hunting Public guys if you show a map people can find those spots if they take a few minutes to look and match up what they are seeing. Just not how I would ever want to hunt and if I ever did do that it would not even feel very gratifying to have cheated the hard work to be successful. Sounds to me like you are upset that they found and area that you hunt and forget that it is public land and part of the challenge is still dealing with other people hunting and adapting as pressure changes. I personally love map scouting even areas that I don't plan to hunt and I enjoy trying to find where the Hunting public guys are hunting based on their maps to better understand the areas that they are in. Does it mean that I would ever try and hunt those spots? Not at all, but you are able to translate some of what you can learn to areas that you would find and hunt on your own. Chill out dude

Interested in what naming the wma and showing the exact location on map helps to teach, more so than an example map and keeping the actual location to private?

I would argue that it is counterproductive on all levels. It stunts the will to learn and encourages taking the shortcut. Actually I don’t think I would argue it, I think that is just pretty much fact. And I am not saying all will take the shortcut, but many in fact will. Sure some people could still find it on the map even if they don’t name the wma or show the actual location, but that amount would be far fewer than those who wouldn’t be able to, without being told the wma.

I have heard the guys from element on other platforms and I always thought they sounded great. I don’t want to speak negatively about them or their entire platform based on this alone. But this in particular is a bad idea, it’s bad form and pretty bush league. It’s just a slap in the face to the local hunters.

Things like this change the dynamic of a piece of public and a specific spot in particular, forever. I have seen it so many times. God forbid they find or kill a big one in there.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:53 am

PK_ wrote:
Deerhunter323 wrote:Wow, sounds like someone is upset that they are trying to teach and do a good job explaining why they chose that area. Kind of hard to do without showing the map and a larger view of the area to discuss the reason that spot is good. Even if they didn't post the name of the area it isn't that hard to find where that spot was for the lazy hunters that are not willing to do the work on their own. For the guys that would try and use that info to hunt there either they are new hunters or they don't want to put the work in themselves and if that is the case then whether it is the element or the public land challenge or the Hunting Public guys if you show a map people can find those spots if they take a few minutes to look and match up what they are seeing. Just not how I would ever want to hunt and if I ever did do that it would not even feel very gratifying to have cheated the hard work to be successful. Sounds to me like you are upset that they found and area that you hunt and forget that it is public land and part of the challenge is still dealing with other people hunting and adapting as pressure changes. I personally love map scouting even areas that I don't plan to hunt and I enjoy trying to find where the Hunting public guys are hunting based on their maps to better understand the areas that they are in. Does it mean that I would ever try and hunt those spots? Not at all, but you are able to translate some of what you can learn to areas that you would find and hunt on your own. Chill out dude

Interested in what naming the wma and showing the exact location on map helps to teach, more so than an example map and keeping the actual location to private?

I would argue that it is counterproductive on all levels. It stunts the will to learn and encourages taking the shortcut. Actually I don’t think I would argue it, I think that is just pretty much fact. And I am not saying all will take the shortcut, but many in fact will. Sure some people could still find it on the map even if they don’t name the wma or show the actual location, but that amount would be far fewer than those who wouldn’t be able to, without being told the wma.

I have heard the guys from element on other platforms and I always thought they sounded great. I don’t want to speak negatively about them or their entire platform based on this alone. But this in particular is a bad idea, it’s bad form and pretty bush league. It’s just a slap in the face to the local hunters.

Things like this change the dynamic of a piece of public and a specific spot in particular, forever. I have seen it so many times. God forbid they find or kill a big one in there.

I absolutely agree
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am

Just watched one of their episodes after reading this thread. Saw these guys put a trailcam up and then show the exact location of the trailcam, which also had no lock on it. Not sure if that was the smartest move.

I am glad that they haven't been to my home state yet, I would certainly be upset if they blew one of my spots.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Dewey wrote:
Wihunter95 wrote:I agree with everything you said. Personally I think the huge influx in public land popularity will simmer down in a couple seasons because let's be honest, most people don't have the drive most of us on the beast do, it'll get tough and they'll just give up when they aren't seeing bucks. Like Dan says, you can teach people the how but you can't teach passion and drive. It takes work, something most people nowadays(especially people in my age group) don't understand.

I agree with that to a point. Problem is as stuff like this gets more and more popular is only gonna get worse. Things like this can be taught without giving details. General maps are fine with labels and coordinates scrubbed off but giving everything away is just totally disrespectful to other hunters who hunt that public land.

Completely agree with you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”