Whats your go to camo?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Lockdown

Re: Whats your go to camo?

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:47 pm

I’ve been wearing the same mossy oak jean jacket for 25 years. Then for bottoms I got some cheap camo jeans at fleet farm. Realtree Xtra I think?? Not even sure all I know is my top and bottoms don’t match lol. I wear leafy wear too.

If I’m on the ground I make an attempt to blend in, but if I’m in a tree I don’t really care what I’ve got on.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:24 pm

I don’t know. Could care less to be honest lol. I’m that guy that don’t think it matters or matters much .
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:11 pm

I've always been a real tree fan since a very young boy watching bill Jordans vhs tapes. Currently I have the real tree Xtra or whatever there newest pattern is. I only by cammo when something needs replaced not just because of a new pattern came out. There's a ton of great patterns out now and don't think a person can go wrong with any of them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:56 pm

ASAT is my favorite. Especially once the leaves fall. Early season I don’t think it matters has much with all the foliage on
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 am

I have a bunch of different kinds. Sitka elevated ll, predator fall grey, mossy oak and a lot of solid colors. I don't really have a favorite, but I do wear some in certain areas because I feel I blend in better. Kinda situational, but I don't put too much thought into.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:24 am

Honeysuckles and beech limbs :lol: . The greatest camo in the woods.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 am

I wear mostly all Mossy Oak Breakup Country. I like it because there is a good amount of contrast to break up the outline, and the brighter parts look like the trees I'm around the most. I used to have some cheap cotton camo, but started to realize it seems to glow in low light, so I decided to get some hunting cloths with better material. I ended up with mostly scentlok stuff... i know... I didn't get it because I believe it hides my scent. I got it because it was on sale and able to buy it cheap compared to most other stuff I could find out there. Some of it has proven to be junk, with stitching coming apart after one season. Some of it is ok.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 am

Almost all my hunting clothes are Kuiu, i mix and match there patterns and solids
equal opportunity hunter
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am

I typically just wear solid colors, dark browns and greens. If I wear camo, it's usually firstlite fusion or sitka elevated. I honestly don't think it matters as long as you have cover behind you to break up your outline.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:27 pm

ASAT....ugly but very effective
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:38 pm

Another vote for solids. I'm almost always wearing an olive green or brown pair of pants. The shirt could be a brown flannel or a THP sweatshirt. When it's super cold I will be in either scheels white and gray camo or my HBS that has a generic pattern.
hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:02 pm

wolfie729 wrote:Whats your favorite camo pattern and why?

Whatever happens to be on sale.

Dont really matters unless you're in the marketing dept.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:08 pm

Whatever is cheap…. Because it’s cheap…. And deer don’t notice the difference.

There is also an argument with solids. I think it was André said something that stuck with me…

Paint a drum solid brown, or black and put it in the woods. Now paint another drum camo and put it in the woods. Now start rotating the drums…. Which one are you more likely to see?

That makes a lot of sense to me….I don’t care about matching. I buy what is cheap. But much of my wool stuff is solid brown, gray or green. Camo 100% wool is hard to find. Icebreaker used to make some that was awesome but they stopped.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:21 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Whatever is cheap…. Because it’s cheap…. And deer don’t notice the difference.

There is also an argument with solids. I think it was André said something that stuck with me…

Paint a drum solid brown, or black and put it in the woods. Now paint another drum camo and put it in the woods. Now start rotating the drums…. Which one are you more likely to see?

That makes a lot of sense to me….I don’t care about matching. I buy what is cheap. But much of my wool stuff is solid brown, gray or green. Camo 100% wool is hard to find. Icebreaker used to make some that was awesome but they stopped.

I used to buy the camo merino wool Icebreaker stuff, still have some. But when it suddenly wasn’t available about 6 years ago i emailed them asking when the camo line would be available and their response was, “Thank for inquiring but we’ve decided to discontinue the camo line as hunting does not coincide with our morals as a company”.

Had i known they were antis i’d have never spent my money there. I wouldn’t buy any of their solid merino for this reason.

First Lite, Kryptek, and Kuiu all have camo merino wool and theyre companies created by hunters for hunters. Personally i like the First Lite stuff in their Dry Earth or Black but they have three different camos available if a guy wanted camo.

I’m more careful about who gets my hunting dollars nowadays.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 am

I always wore the cheapest kinds I could find, and always had to layer more or the cloths were really bulky and heavy. Now I've made the switch to Kuiu, not necessarily for the camo but the quality of the cloths, you can run a couple layers and still be warm.

All of my Kuiu items I have, have been close to half off from the used market and in great shape, but I look at it just like optics, or tree stands or other hunting gear. Buy once cry once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”