Whats your go to camo?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Whats your go to camo?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Whatever is cheap…. Because it’s cheap…. And deer don’t notice the difference.

There is also an argument with solids. I think it was André said something that stuck with me…

Paint a drum solid brown, or black and put it in the woods. Now paint another drum camo and put it in the woods. Now start rotating the drums…. Which one are you more likely to see?

That makes a lot of sense to me….I don’t care about matching. I buy what is cheap. But much of my wool stuff is solid brown, gray or green. Camo 100% wool is hard to find. Icebreaker used to make some that was awesome but they stopped.

I used to buy the camo merino wool Icebreaker stuff, still have some. But when it suddenly wasn’t available about 6 years ago i emailed them asking when the camo line would be available and their response was, “Thank for inquiring but we’ve decided to discontinue the camo line as hunting does not coincide with our morals as a company”.

Had i known they were antis i’d have never spent my money there. I wouldn’t buy any of their solid merino for this reason.

First Lite, Kryptek, and Kuiu all have camo merino wool and theyre companies created by hunters for hunters. Personally i like the First Lite stuff in their Dry Earth or Black but they have three different camos available if a guy wanted camo.

I’m more careful about who gets my hunting dollars nowadays.

I'm kind of bummed to hear that. With that said though I have a lot of First Lite stuff as well and I think it's all junk. That's my humble opinion, I'm not trying to offend anybody. But I don't buy their garbage.. Patterns and colors fade quickly, usually after only a handful of washings, they're clothing pills badly, the pills glow under black light, which is what the deer see and low light, and it falls apart quickly and it's not durable. I have many articles of their clothing that I only got a single season of service out of. They're Kanab 2.0 pants lasted only weeks before they started falling apart at the seams.... I had multiple pair and they all did this. That's my personal experience with their stuff. I've had much better luck with less expensive brands. The clothing is more durable, the color and patterns don't fade after you wash them, and they're cheaper.
It's sad to see that ice breaker is taken that stance. Their clothing line was vastly superior and quality compared to First Lite in my opinion.

Companies that take a stance like that are stupid. Conservation is one of the few things that many on the right agree with the left on. And yet these boneheads decide it's good business to alienate us...
Last edited by ThePreBanMan on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 am

I'm a huge fan of ASAT as well. If it's on insulated wool all the better
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:13 am

I like that Mossy oak break up country. Has a darker pattern to it which seems to blend into alot of the terrain I hunt
American_Regular

Unread postby American_Regular » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:16 am

Completely depends on location and time of the season for me. ASAT, Trebark, SID, Elevated II. Been making my own camo the last few years using custom stencils and some solid apparel pieces. Built myself a viper hood as well.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:38 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Whatever is cheap…. Because it’s cheap…. And deer don’t notice the difference.

There is also an argument with solids. I think it was André said something that stuck with me…

Paint a drum solid brown, or black and put it in the woods. Now paint another drum camo and put it in the woods. Now start rotating the drums…. Which one are you more likely to see?

That makes a lot of sense to me….I don’t care about matching. I buy what is cheap. But much of my wool stuff is solid brown, gray or green. Camo 100% wool is hard to find. Icebreaker used to make some that was awesome but they stopped.

I used to buy the camo merino wool Icebreaker stuff, still have some. But when it suddenly wasn’t available about 6 years ago i emailed them asking when the camo line would be available and their response was, “Thank for inquiring but we’ve decided to discontinue the camo line as hunting does not coincide with our morals as a company”.

Had i known they were antis i’d have never spent my money there. I wouldn’t buy any of their solid merino for this reason.

First Lite, Kryptek, and Kuiu all have camo merino wool and theyre companies created by hunters for hunters. Personally i like the First Lite stuff in their Dry Earth or Black but they have three different camos available if a guy wanted camo.

I’m more careful about who gets my hunting dollars nowadays.

I'm kind of bummed to hear that. With that said though I have a lot of First Lite stuff as well and I think it's all junk. That's my humble opinion, I'm not trying to offend anybody. But I don't buy their garbage.. Patterns and colors fade quickly, usually after only a handful of washings, they're clothing pills badly, the pills glow under black light, which is what the deer see and low light, and it falls apart quickly and it's not durable. I have many articles of their clothing that I only got a single season of service out of. They're Kanab 2.0 pants lasted only weeks before they started falling apart at the seams.... I had multiple pair and they all did this. That's my personal experience with their stuff. I've had much better luck with less expensive brands. The clothing is more durable, the color and patterns don't fade after you wash them, and they're cheaper.
It's sad to see that ice breaker is taken that stance. Their clothing line was vastly superior and quality compared to First Lite in my opinion.

Companies that take a stance like that are stupid. Conservation is one of the few things that many on the right agree with the left on. And yet these boneheads decide it's good business to alienate us...

Agree, i was extremely disgusted with them when i received that email. They did have good merino stuff and i would have most likely bought solid colors from them for both hunting and casual but after that email ive never bought anything from them ever again. And i never will spend another dime with them either.

Regarding you FL stuff? Was it the outerwear you had issues with? I ask as i still have a Llano, a Minaret Shirt, a Chama and some of their merino underwear that I bought back in 2016 and they are still in great shape despite HEAVY use the last 5 seasons. Heck, i even have a pair of their Mountain Athlete Compression socks i bought in 2018 that i wear every single hunt over and over from Sept until it gets too cold in Dec and they’re still good to go this year.

I stayed away from their outerwear 1. because i didn’t need it and 2. because of durability issues i was reading about with a lot of their outerwear like those Kanab Pants.

But i think their Merino is about as good as is available to hunters as i had Kuiu stuff and it was pretty scratchy and the zippers would break.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 am

It was outerwear for the most part... For my base layers and mid layers I tend to use Minus33 off Amazon and I have a bunch of ice breaker stuff I got years ago... I strongly prefer merino.

For outter at this point I buy whatever is cheap and quiet. Don't really care about the pattern. I have some UA stuff, some True Timber, some king's camo, some El cheapo off of Amazon or Wally world...
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:10 am

ASAT and First Lite Specter
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:01 am

I have 2 reversible light weight "sun" shirts in marsh grass and some kind of darker camo. Will wear those cause they are light and long sleeve for hunting in the FL heat and bugs.

Also have a couple olive drab cotton long sleeve T shirts that will wear often as well.

Wear these w jeans. Always wear jeans when i hunt.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:16 am

ASAT 3d leafy suit. I flat out works. Was standing in a corn field face to face with a nice 8 pointer a few years ago. He was 3 rows away looking right at me. He relaxed, put his head down and just walked down the row. I have many more stories. Was setting up in my stand, moving my tether up the tree when I looked to my left and there was a buck staring at me. I just froze and he started looking confused. Then walked right under my tree. I'm telling you guys, it works really well.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:18 am

Country wrote:ASAT 3d leafy suit. I flat out works. Was standing in a corn field face to face with a nice 8 pointer a few years ago. He was 3 rows away looking right at me. He relaxed, put his head down and just walked down the row. I have many more stories. Was setting up in my stand, moving my tether up the tree when I looked to my left and there was a buck staring at me. I just froze and he started looking confused. Then walked right under my tree. I'm telling you guys, it works really well.

It wasn’t the ASAT, but the first lite one that I use. I’ve used other leafy suits before and gotten picked. But this one has that “negative space” like the ASAT and I swear the deer have a much harder time picking you up visually based on similar reactions to what country said. They kind of know something is off but they can’t pick you off the same as without it. Sounds nuts, but I’ve had deer stare through me and not be able to pinpoint what I am.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:29 am

I have 4 items that are ASAT. 2 T-shirt’s and a jacket and bibs set. Other than that I don’t have anymore than 1 item of any kind of camo. It’s just a jumble of different stuff. When I buy clothes I look for quiet material. If it’s for early season, will it keep me cool enough? If it’s for late season, will it keep me warm enough?

I don’t completely ignore the camo pattern but it’s lower on the list of criteria than quietness.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Cabelas Outfitter Camo in their Wooltimate and Microtex Series
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:27 am

Tri-color desert bdu’s and a flannel shirt whit a hoodie and vest until I get days where it doesn’t get out of the 30’s or 40’s with a stiff wind. I have a Sitka stratus bib and jacket that I bought because it’s windproof and I found it on sale. Aside from that I wear natural gear pants and shirt sometimes and have a jacket and vest by them as well. I like it and it blends well to my eyes. I wear meriwool merino wool too and bottom from Amazon and Milsurp wool gloves and a gray stocking hat from Walmart. I mix and match a lot and have to layer as Missouri weather can be 30 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon so it gets a little difficult. But cheap is mostly what I’m after aside from the Sitka set. I do have a fanatic hoodie I bought off the classifieds here as well.
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:43 pm

I used to buy everything in a Realtree pattern for years. Then I started buying more Mossy Oak. I really like Greenleaf, Bottomland and the original tree stand. The last few years I’ve been buying a lot of FirstLite clothing. I like their Fusion pattern and recently I’ve bought a couple things in Specter. I say go with whatever pattern/clothing you like and can afford. I don’t know how much of a difference it actually makes but I just like camo.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”