Height, and how you get there

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MNStruggleStick

Height, and how you get there

Unread postby MNStruggleStick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 am

Beasts,
what’s everyone average height with their mobile setup? I’m getting 11 1/2 feet max out of 2 mini sticks and 2 screw in pegs.

If there’s carbon in the the air, then there is hope.
sagDE

Re: Height, and how you get there

Unread postby sagDE » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:12 am

MNStruggleStick wrote:Beasts,
what’s everyone average height with their mobile setup? I’m getting 11 1/2 feet max out of 2 mini sticks and 2 screw in pegs.

I'm using beast sticks (4) and my height is completely dictated by the terrain and the situation. Sometimes I'll stretch it out and go as high as possible, others.... I'm only using 1 or 2 sticks.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:28 am

Never took a tape measure with me. I have 5 beast sticks, but only use 3 or 4 most of the time. If I had to guess I'd say that my platform is 15 ft on average.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:26 am

I used 3 beast sticks and a versa aider from backwoods mobile and can get my platform right to 19’
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:59 am

I haven't really checked how high I can get other than this one time I ranged the ground from my platform and it said 7 yards which converts to 21 feet.

This was 3 beast sticks and a 3 step aider on the bottom stick. I usually get the first stick at about 6 feet to the top of it.
20210827_095755.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:05 am

2 regular beast sticks with cable aiders and a movable aider, platform about 15’
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 am

Max I have ever gotten up a tree with 4 xop sticks was close too 14 foot.

I'm not like everyone else, I will never put my stand base level with the top step of my highest stick, at best I will put my base level with the middle step of my highest stick.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 am

I would say I can get around 13-14' with 4 sticks. I might go back to an aider on my bottom step. I dont get crazy with spacing and like to step down on my stand.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:44 am

1 beast stick and aider.

Average 17-20 feet sometimes higher sometimes lower.

The nice thing about one sticking is I can go as high as I want.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:53 pm

I am using 3 hawk helium short sticks, with a 2 step moveable aider (that I made myself from tubular webbing). I am able to get to a max height of 18-19 feet with my set up, but honestly I rarely need to get that high. Last year the buck I shot from about 8 feet up.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Not to many years ago I had over 55 cheap preset stands. Ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I traded all the stands for a mini bass boat. My hunting is split up from a good bit small parcel private to hunting public middle of the week.

On the private where I don’t have to worry about the next guy I don’t hunt very high. Prob average 6-10ft. But I add cover and brush myself in.

Public I don’t have that luxury. My bow rope is 20’ long so I have a good idea how high I climb. I usually end up much higher in a public setting trying to get in a fork or tangled limbs. Guessing average 18-20ft. I struggle with accurate shooting beyond that. Heck I struggle with accuracy from that height :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
stewarttr

Unread postby stewarttr » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:04 pm

I use three 20" beast sticks with an versa aider for around 15 foot. I am adding in another stick this year for some of the hill country setups and late season where I feel a little more height in the tree would be beneficial. I think most would agree that cover or lack there of dictates how high the setup needs to be.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:09 am

I have been using 3-4, 24 inch beast sticks the last few seasons. I have a 5th stick but usually it stays home. I guess you could call it a spare. I have used aiders attached to sticks and moveable aiders before but have found that more times than not I end up in trees that have at least a little bit of a lean or crooked spot and it’s real hard for me to always perfectly stay balanced with them. Ive never had a stick of any kind kick out without using an aider. With aiders I think you can create enough force to make any of them kick out if your weight shifts and pulls on the side of the stick.

It’s not as much of a problem if your moveable aider hooks around the top of the stick. I can’t really explain the physics of it just going off my own imperfect observations.

Last year I abandoned using aiders that attach to sticks and started using a knaider. If you aren’t familiar with a knaider you can find them on doublesteps.com
The hook of the knaider will hook right over a beast stick step. I hook it over the step, tight to the edge of the stick post. My toe goes into the tree to help stabilize. I didn’t have any negative experiences with them last year other than coming down in the dark, I needed to go nice and slow to make sure I had the hook set right on the step. I have only tried it with original Lone Wolf and Beast sticks. The step is thicker on the Lone Wolf and the hook doesn’t fit well. When you put weight on it, it can get wedged and stick.

The knaider rolls right up really small and can go right in a pocket but most times I would just leave it attached on my leg while I was in the tree. You barely notice it’s there when you’re wearing it. Multiple times last season I got all the way back to my vehicle before I noticed that I forgot to take it off.

Knaider pro’s and Vons’s
Pro’s:
No aider swinging in the wind from your stick.
No kick outs on crooked or leaning trees.
Less weight and fiddle factor.
Easily packable.

Con’s:
Easy to forget.
Sometimes hard to see it in the dark especially with bulky late season clothes.
Doesn’t work well with lone Wolf sticks.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:13 am

Forgot to add. I’m getting around 5-1/2 feet per stick.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
CTBuckHunterMH

Unread postby CTBuckHunterMH » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:11 pm

I’m using four trophyline mini sticks with a three step removable aider. If I really wanted to stretch it out as far as possible I can probably hit about 31’ at my platform. However, my average hunting height is usually somewhere between 15-23 feet. Sometimes it’s higher, and sometimes it’s lower depending on cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”