Early season mountain bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

Early season mountain bucks

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 am

Ok you mountaineers, how do you find success on early season mountain bucks. Ill be in WV for the opener and would love some tips! Thanks!

jrain904

Re: Early season mountain bucks

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:02 am

I did jump a giant from his worn to the dirt bed last year in Sept. Ill be checking on him. Other than that I think I plan on hunting some areas where I think bucks may be scent checking does. I know from last year there was atleast one nice buck tending a doe already. Figured the bucks may already be scent checking looking for those first couple of does going into heat.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:21 am

Scout now find the secure bedding near food setup accordingly that first week. After that, it’s scout scout hunt until rut then get in your best spots. I’ve never killed a big one early but I find more and more every year just don’t have much time to hunt early season. Earliest I have seen big bucks interested in does is Oct 17 in WV
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:54 pm

brancher147 wrote:Scout now find the secure bedding near food setup accordingly that first week. After that, it’s scout scout hunt until rut then get in your best spots. I’ve never killed a big one early but I find more and more every year just don’t have much time to hunt early season. Earliest I have seen big bucks interested in does is Oct 17 in WV

Unfortunately I don't show up until the opener. I live in FL. There was definitely one nice mature 8pt paired up with a doe during the opener last year. We had him on camera with her and I actually bumped him with her while walking one afternoon. Ill definitely be scouting and hunting the hottest stuff I find. I switched to saddle hunting this season to better implement this strategy.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Follow the shredded rubs. Walk lots to find that special place. Once you jump one up/find that gut feeling area, give it a day or so to go back. Really just walking/driving around is the way to find good bucks. Or another term for it is ... hunting.
hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:31 pm

jrain904 wrote:Ok you mountaineers, how do you find success on early season mountain bucks. Ill be in WV for the opener and would love some tips! Thanks!

Where at in WV?

I have some good trail cam pics of a 10pt on my property in Roane County.

Think i have him patterned as of today...gonna be camped out on a point he usually hangs out on after leaving his bedding area, which is below the point.
hounddog409

Unread postby hounddog409 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:34 pm

jrain904 wrote:
brancher147 wrote:Scout now find the secure bedding near food setup accordingly that first week. After that, it’s scout scout hunt until rut then get in your best spots. I’ve never killed a big one early but I find more and more every year just don’t have much time to hunt early season. Earliest I have seen big bucks interested in does is Oct 17 in WV

Unfortunately I don't show up until the opener. I live in FL. There was definitely one nice mature 8pt paired up with a doe during the opener last year. We had him on camera with her and I actually bumped him with her while walking one afternoon. Ill definitely be scouting and hunting the hottest stuff I find. I switched to saddle hunting this season to better implement this strategy.

That is awfully early. With the Rut in WV usually 2 or 3rd week of Nov. I have never seen a doe cycle that early.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:02 am

hounddog409 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:

That is awfully early. With the Rut in WV usually 2 or 3rd week of Nov. I have never seen a doe cycle that early.

Perhaps they were just best friends? In all seriousness I'm not lying.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:12 am

hounddog409 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:Ok you mountaineers, how do you find success on early season mountain bucks. Ill be in WV for the opener and would love some tips! Thanks!

Where at in WV?

I have some good trail cam pics of a 10pt on my property in Roane County.

Think i have him patterned as of today...gonna be camped out on a point he usually hangs out on after leaving his bedding area, which is below the point.

SW bow counties
hounddog409

Unread postby hounddog409 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:22 am

jrain904 wrote:
hounddog409 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:

Oh, im not doubting what you saw. Just doubt she was in heat that early. I have pics of bucks with does as well, before the pre-rut/chasing stage.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:34 am

hounddog409 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:
hounddog409 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:

Oh, im not doubting what you saw. Just doubt she was in heat that early. I have pics of bucks with does as well, before the pre-rut/chasing stage.

I just have a hard time believing that he would be on her that close for 2 days that I know of without her showing some signs of coming into heat. I mean I guess he could be lonely but it just goes against everything I've read about big deer. But who really knows...
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:14 pm

Ive seen big bucks hang with does early season. Spikes or other big bucks. There's no written rule. Good thing is you can sometimes locate the ones he's running with a little easier sometimes. But he'll be close by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”