Switching my mindset

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Switching my mindset

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:58 am

Most of us will go through a natural progression in both our mind set and our tactics. Especially after joining a place like this and adopting these tactics.

While I was checking cam pics the other night, I was reading some old journal entries for the properties where a couple of my targets are living. I then noticed my “Stand and Blind Locations” log. I clicked on it and read through it. My entries are divided by county, and then by property. Each kill location has wind directions included, starting with the best wind for that particular set.

There are over 100 kill sets in 8 counties.

I thought back to my early days as a beast. I would pick properties where I knew shooters lived. Sometimes I would pick the most likely set for what worked best wind wise that day. Other times I tried to incorporate hot sign first, then choose.

While talking with a friend today, I came to realize that since I started deer hunting when I was 12, I have not killed a single 4.5+ year old buck outside of rut.

None. Even with all that effort. Hundreds of miles walked. Constant effort to try to put the puzzle pieces together on these deer. I have killed some very nice bucks outside rut, and some mature bucks during rut. But to say I have NONE early or late season was eye opening.

The reason for this is two fold. For part of that time I wasn’t only targeting mature bucks. When I have, I spent too much time concentrating on that list of prepped sets and not enough time finding that one specific location where Mr. Big is killable.

I decided I wasn’t going to look at that list of kill sets anymore. At least not often. Instead I will be consulting my HIT LIST and figuring the rest out from there.

I mentioned on my Going4Broke podcast that I like to let the deer tell me what to do. That’s true. But I’m taking it to a whole new level in 2021.

There’s ONE spot you can kill that buck from on any given day. Do you know where that is?

Uncle Lou

Re: Switching my mindset

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:32 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:38 am

Great post!
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:50 am

My son on one fishing trip was using the same lure over and over, maybe 100 casts without a bite. I told him you are arguing with the fish and you cannot win that argument. He went on to tell me that the lure was “pure money” and I responded that obviously no one had told the fish.
This is the same for hunting outside the rut. A preset stand should be “money” right place, good cover, food source nearby, heavy trail - the list goes on. But you are now arguing with the deer about were they should be when testosterone is not dominant. An argument you will never win. Being able to move, read sign and determining current “hot” daylight food is the only way to win. Also easier said than done.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:44 am

Great post, for me what’s worked best is finding a target buck first, then figuring out his week points. There are just too few mature bucks in many areas, that most great areas, will not be holding a good buck once it’s time to hunt.

My experience has been that a good area will hold a solid shooter once every three to four years and the individual bedding areas within those areas will be rotated around, based off changing conditions. Finding the buck first, usually through camera work, then understanding the Timing aspect is important, because they move around often, and usually without leaving obvious discernible sign.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:50 am

I agree with all of you. My “sit here” list has really become a “try here first” list. Meaning when you’ve got a bed with more than one exit trail how do I pick the right trail. There’s always going to be some right tree wrong day outcomes. What I’ve been trying to do is check the trails at a point far enough away from the bed and pick the most current and hunt there first. Hasn’t worked perfectly yet but going with it again this year.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:56 am

Lockdown wrote:
There’s ONE spot you can kill that buck from on any given day. Do you know where that is?

Only poking the bear here….

Ryan, I know you have at least a couple target or hit listers.

Without giving up any geographical intel; I am super interested in your newly found focus.

Are you confident enough in any of those buck’s current patterns to formulate a plan? I assume the plan will be to kill one opening week, maybe 2nd week?

For the targets that are not yet confidently patterned, how long do you wait or how do you plan to determine when it’s go time? Cell cams in play? Road recon? Observation sit?

Is there one hit lister that’s gagger enough to preclude any other attempts early on with tag preservation in play?

I assume when you say that”only one spot” you don’t just mean one set or one tree. That it just means that somewhere between point A and B where he will be during daylight.

You know I love the Sept. chase. Any of your prep and first few sits shared would be some great fodder for us all.
Good Luck Man!

I’m pulling for ya!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:19 am

Lockdown wrote:There’s ONE spot you can kill that buck from on any given day. Do you know where that is?

It’s pretty close to here lol
C10800E6-1383-45EE-B099-443480D1B89A.jpeg

All kidding aside I agree with you. I’m switching it up this year and hunting some all new areas based on fresh sign I am finding. I killed some nice 4.5 year old bucks last couple years but looking for something better and a new experience. And yes that is a huge fresh bed I found today while scouting said new area-surrounded by big old rubs. Best of luck on your new adventures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:41 am

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. In the past I haven't given myself enough time to scout my way in. If I have checked a few areas and haven't found the sign I was looking for, I felt pressured to just hang the stand and hope for the best.

I am really going to push myself this year to scout until I find the sign and "the spot", even if it means some nights I walk and never find anything and don't sit in the stand.

At least I know where not to waste my time the next day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:15 am

If you can crack this code Lockdown you’ll seriously be my hero.

There isn’t a person here including Dan who can consistently kill a fully mature buck outside the rut. A few get lucky occasionally but never seen it done every single season. It’s a tough nut to crack as it should be.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:46 am

Deerkins wrote:Great post, for me what’s worked best is finding a target buck first, then figuring out his week points. There are just too few mature bucks in many areas, that most great areas, will not be holding a good buck once it’s time to hunt.

My experience has been that a good area will hold a solid shooter once every three to four years and the individual bedding areas within those areas will be rotated around, based off changing conditions. Finding the buck first, usually through camera work, then understanding the Timing aspect is important, because they move around often, and usually without leaving obvious discernible sign.

THIS.

However, I’m not saying it’s easy to do.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Arrowbender wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Without giving up any geographical intel; I am super interested in your newly found focus.

Are you confident enough in any of those buck’s current patterns to formulate a plan? I assume the plan will be to kill one opening week, maybe 2nd week?

Yes, killing one of them opening weekend is the goal. As far as my new hit listers go, this past weekend I just started to try and nail down patterns. I don’t try mid summer because I know how often they relocate. (mid summer I’m casting a broad net trying to locate targets, not necessarily figure them out.) Right now I’m trying to verify who stuck around and who didn’t. My Sunday evening bean field observation (bedding not far away) didn’t pan out for the big 9. He never showed. However, last time that happened to me my buddy drove by the next day and there he was :think: I have more in the field observations planned for him.

At times I struggle knowing when to pull the plug. I will say I’m not going to spend tons of time trying to track a buck down that I’ve only laid eyes on once.

For the targets that are not yet confidently patterned, how long do you wait or how do you plan to determine when it’s go time? Cell cams in play? Road recon? Observation sit?

Technically I don’t have any confidently patterned yet. In general, if a buck doesn’t show 3 times in a row then I’m gone and on to the next one. Sometimes two sets and I’m gone... it depends on the situation. I have even busted bedding areas in season to prove to myself he’s not there. I like that verification. Not to mention I get to check the bedding area out and see what sign looks like at that point in the year. Sometimes weeks old poop tells the story.

If I lose track of one and have to locate a different buck, I will observe once and keep going. I might head to a different part of the property, I might be 3 counties away.

I do not run cell cams.

I do have a couple normal cams strategically placed on private. Some are within bow range of public.

I’m a huge fan of in the field observations. They teach me way more than cams do. Cams do definitely have their place though.

I’ve told the story many times on here, but my 2019 opening day buck (not mature) was hanging out within rifle distance of a road all summer. I KNEW he was there and would watch him in the field. Then later I’d try shining him and would find nothing. :whistle: I had a cam a half mile from where that bachelor group spent all summer and they only entered that bedding ONCE! A half mile was the difference between not hunt worthy at all, and red hot action.

When I started getting out of the truck and observing in the field my big buck sightings easily doubled. They are masters at staying just out of sight. They love low spots in mostly flat terrain.

Is there one hit lister that’s gagger enough to preclude any other attempts early on with tag preservation in play?

Yes. He’s not a true gagger, but the drop tine that I winged last fall is back and bigger framed. Minus the drop. I would have observed his bedding Sunday but I wasn’t aware he was on the card till too late in the evening. So with the history and desire to get my revenge, he shot up to the #1 spot. I had a cam placed for him since early May and he finally showed up Aug 7th.

He used one bedding area consistently last fall. My goal is to see if he changes his pattern this year. Crops are different and I know better than to stay closed minded and EXPECT him to be in the same exact spot. Last year I saw him 2 out of 3 sits. And early October I actually walked through what ended up being his bedding.

That said, I would rather not put all my eggs in one basket no matter how bad I want to kill him. So I’d really like to have a backup plan for a 2nd buck in case the drop tine does his early October disappearing act again.

I assume when you say that”only one spot” you don’t just mean one set or one tree. That it just means that somewhere between point A and B where he will be during daylight.

Yes, one very small area.

You know I love the Sept. chase. Any of your prep and first few sits shared would be some great fodder for us all.
Good Luck Man!

I’m pulling for ya!!

Later I will share what I’ve got for target bucks (minus locations) and my mindset for each. I’m certainly not going to promise my approach is right.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Arrowbender wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Yes, killing one of them opening weekend is the goal. As far as my new hit listers go, this past weekend I just started to try and nail down patterns. I don’t try mid summer because I know how often they relocate. (mid summer I’m casting a broad net trying to locate targets, not necessarily figure them out.) Right now I’m trying to verify who stuck around and who didn’t. My Sunday evening bean field observation (bedding not far away) didn’t pan out for the big 9. He never showed. However, last time that happened to me my buddy drove by the next day and there he was :think: I have more in the field observations planned for him.

At times I struggle knowing when to pull the plug. I will say I’m not going to spend tons of time trying to track a buck down that I’ve only laid eyes on once.

Technically I don’t have any confidently patterned yet. In general, if a buck doesn’t show 3 times in a row then I’m gone and on to the next one. Sometimes two sets and I’m gone... it depends on the situation. I have even busted bedding areas in season to prove to myself he’s not there. I like that verification. Not to mention I get to check the bedding area out and see what sign looks like at that point in the year. Sometimes weeks old poop tells the story.

If I lose track of one and have to locate a different buck, I will observe once and keep going. I might head to a different part of the property, I might be 3 counties away.

I do not run cell cams.

I do have a couple normal cams strategically placed on private. Some are within bow range of public.

I’m a huge fan of in the field observations. They teach me way more than cams do. Cams do definitely have their place though.

I’ve told the story many times on here, but my 2019 opening day buck (not mature) was hanging out within rifle distance of a road all summer. I KNEW he was there and would watch him in the field. Then later I’d try shining him and would find nothing. :whistle: I had a cam a half mile from where that bachelor group spent all summer and they only entered that bedding ONCE! A half mile was the difference between not hunt worthy at all, and red hot action.

When I started getting out of the truck and observing in the field my big buck sightings easily doubled. They are masters at staying just out of sight. They love low spots in mostly flat terrain.

Yes. He’s not a true gagger, but the drop tine that I winged last fall is back and bigger framed. Minus the drop. I would have observed his bedding Sunday but I wasn’t aware he was on the card till too late in the evening. So with the history and desire to get my revenge, he shot up to the #1 spot. I had a cam placed for him since early May and he finally showed up Aug 7th.

He used one bedding area consistently last fall. My goal is to see if he changes his pattern this year. Crops are different and I know better than to stay closed minded and EXPECT him to be in the same exact spot. Last year I saw him 2 out of 3 sits. And early October I actually walked through what ended up being his bedding.

That said, I would rather not put all my eggs in one basket no matter how bad I want to kill him. So I’d really like to have a backup plan for a 2nd buck in case the drop tine does his early October disappearing act again.

Yes, one very small area.

Good Luck Man!

I’m pulling for ya!!

Later I will share what I’ve got for target bucks (minus locations) and my mindset for each. I’m certainly not going to promise my approach is right.

I should have thrown in there, if observations don’t pan out, which they often don’t, I will simply check for big buck sign near known bedding areas on properties where I’ve located a big one that summer.

Most often it feels like a needle in a haystack scenario, but I know that guessing and setting up on bedding won’t give me the results I want. I’ve been down that road already.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:50 pm

brancher147 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:There’s ONE spot you can kill that buck from on any given day. Do you know where that is?

It’s pretty close to here lol
C10800E6-1383-45EE-B099-443480D1B89A.jpeg

All kidding aside I agree with you. I’m switching it up this year and hunting some all new areas based on fresh sign I am finding. I killed some nice 4.5 year old bucks last couple years but looking for something better and a new experience. And yes that is a huge fresh bed I found today while scouting said new area-surrounded by big old rubs. Best of luck on your new adventures

That looks like the goods!! Good luck!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:52 pm

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:I have been thinking about this a lot lately. In the past I haven't given myself enough time to scout my way in. If I have checked a few areas and haven't found the sign I was looking for, I felt pressured to just hang the stand and hope for the best.

I am really going to push myself this year to scout until I find the sign and "the spot", even if it means some nights I walk and never find anything and don't sit in the stand.

At least I know where not to waste my time the next day.

It used to bother me when I observed during season. I felt like I was wasting a hunt.

Now I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a kill sit because if I’m wrong I don’t learn much. I’m usually stuck in really thick areas and if nothing shows all I learned is nothing left bedding heading my direction :D

I love scouting around and observing. That’s what teaches me the most.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”