Help me understand how bucks or doe leave and enter bedding.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Raven13

Help me understand how bucks or doe leave and enter bedding.

Unread postby Raven13 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:09 am

Guys,
I still struggle a bit with how deer enter and especially leave bedding area.
Mostly hunt mountain terrain. But I also hunt flat areas.
All our mountain area have farming lowlands and the flat areas are very large plots of public with farming surrounding it.
I have watched and tried to get how these deer enter and leave. And why they leave or enter that way. Could you guys point me to some good threads where this is broken down. I find the beds. But I can’t figure out how to set up. And why they would leave or enter how they do.
This is Pennsylvania public lands. Sometimes it seems to me like they just bed all over. I have a real hard time pin pointing them down on a given day and figuring what way they would leave or how they enter. Depending on morning and evenings. Thanks men.

Mgaspari

Re: Help me understand how bucks or doe leave and enter bedding.

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 am

You are asking the million dollar question. A buck leaving his bed will head towards either food, water, or doe bedding (rut or pre rut). Maybe a combination of a couple.
For me if it’s abnormally hot then I will set up assuming he is headed towards water if nearby or a plant that will give him water. Mid October if the oaks are dropping then I will set up to intercept him headed to acorns. It really is a guessing game. Think about when you first wake up I the morning, your morning routine might not always be the same. Some days right to the coffee, some days right to the bathroom and others maybe something different.
Most guys on here always talk about the exit trails from bedding and this is important if there are 3 or 4 trails heading in different directions then you can guess on which the buck will take depending on what you think the buck will be looking for after leaving his bed. Most of the time it’s a lot more complicated than that, actually 99% of the time it is.
You just have to keep pounding away and observing what the deer in your area / terrain are doing. There is no silver bullet or absolute answer to your question.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:06 am

How big of an impact does wind play into this?
CTBuckHunterMH

Unread postby CTBuckHunterMH » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:29 am

This is the first year I’ve run cell cameras, which has allowed me to see buck movement extremely close to bedding. In my camera locations, which are mature timber with hills and swamp, the bucks always seem to move with a head/cross wind. For example, if it’s a SW wind, I get my pics of bucks traveling in a S direction. If it’s a N wind, I’ll get pics of them walking by my cameras traveling in a NW direction. Food is everywhere due to high browse. This is consistent almost 100% of the time with bucks and it has held true whether they’re entering or exiting bedding. It has also coincided with my personal observations in previous seasons. I haven’t seemed to pinpoint a consistent pattern with the does, especially ones with fawns. It may be anecdotal and specific to my hunting areas, but it may help you out
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:15 am

clandestine.misfit wrote:How big of an impact does wind play into this?

Wind plays a large role. Rule of thumb is wind at back while bedded for bucks - mainly mature bucks. But as with everything nothing is 100%. Even in hill country I had a buck that bedded in same side of point no matter what wind was. The only thing I can think of is how great it was for lack of pressure. It was actually pretty open area.

This is the buck. 5-6 year old 160ish. Killed him going back to his bed in morning on a wind he should not have typically used that bed.

Just reread your question and I think you were asking about leaving a bed. Don’t think wind is a dominant impact unless maybe they smelled something. Have seen them leave beds down hill with falling thermals (so wind at back) to hit a ag field. Have also seen them go up hill (wind at nose) to hit acorns on top of ridge. I don’t base their leaving a bed on wind, just what I think they are headed to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:43 am

Mgaspari wrote:
clandestine.misfit wrote:How big of an impact does wind play into this?

Wind plays a large role. Rule of thumb is wind at back while bedded for bucks - mainly mature bucks. But as with everything nothing is 100%. Even in hill country I had a buck that bedded in same side of point no matter what wind was. The only thing I can think of is how great it was for lack of pressure. It was actually pretty open area.

This is the buck. 5-6 year old 160ish. Killed him going back to his bed in morning on a wind he should not have typically used that bed.

Just reread your question and I think you were asking about leaving a bed. Don’t think wind is a dominant impact unless maybe they smelled something. Have seen them leave beds down hill with falling thermals (so wind at back) to hit a ag field. Have also seen them go up hill (wind at nose) to hit acorns on top of ridge. I don’t base their leaving a bed on wind, just what I think they are headed to do.

Thank you. You answered my question well. I’ve been having a hard time understanding that
Raven13

Unread postby Raven13 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am

Thanks guys.
Many times I just slip in to where I can set up on the bed or bedding area to not spook anything and if I don’t see anything I’m not sure if the deer were there or if they went another direction? Or if I spooked them off. Sometimes I feel as though I’m just failing and failing and not getting any feedback to know if I’m doing things right or wrong.
We have kinda low deer numbers and with thermals and squirrelly winds I don’t know if I’m screwing up or if they just are not there that day ya know?

I have tried to pull this off even on doe bedding areas and have yet to be successful one time. I still have better luck hunting trails or areas with hot sign. I just struggle bringing it together on hunting these beds and bedding areas. I’m not always after monster bucks either so I kinda feel like I’m really sucking cause I can’t pull it off even on scrub bucks.

I have so many locations marked with beds on my on-X maps. Only a few times have I actually bumped the deer off the bed. So I knew they was there that time; but I tried to push it or got careless from lack of sightings. You know how ya get after 3 weeks or 4 weeks and not having any deer encounters you get kinda careless about it or decide to push right in really tight.

That’s why I’m asking cause I just not grasping or seeing it. I know it works but it’s like I’m going through the motions and not actually learning cause I’m not getting on anything or having sightings. So I don’t know what I may be doing right or wrong.

Sometimes I wish I had someone take me out and show me so could see what I’m doing right or wrong. I have trouble applying it and seeing a result. That’s why I had been trying hunting doe bedding to just learn. But they are even eluding me lol. :think:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:48 am

First off - low deer numbers is a major key but even still your should have still had sightings of some sort.

What terrain?
How far from bedding are your setting up?

The exit route should be based on scouting, wind/thermals, needs/wants:

*Early season - Food sources/water/acorns. Definitely white oaks
*Pre-Rut - Food / Does / Scrapes / Water
*Rut - Does / Water / (Some food)
*Late Season (2nd Rut) - Buck Beds / Does / Food / Water

Here are a few pic examples ;

The 2nd pic is probably my favorite set up example. Start by backing off a little bit and working your way closer based on the weather conditions. If youre setting up down wind of a bed in hill country then you may see negative results at first. Knowing the wind conditions is a major factor or you may need to back off.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Sorry the late season part was supposed to be just Does/Food/Water
Raven13

Unread postby Raven13 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:45 am

I hunt either flat terrain. There are rolls and bumps. And if I’m not there it is mountainous terrain.

I typically try to set up 100yds from the beds roughly.
In later fall end of October on it will be further, it’s dependent on the cover and what I think I can get to without being to close.

I really try to sneak and be extremely quiet when setting up.

I’m failing at my approach or its where I set up and they are going off the other way after they get up.
I have also tried to set up on doe beds in areas in the mornings to check them coming back in to bed. I figured anytime after 8:30 they would be heading back in to lay down. But it has never worked out. I do mostly hunt evenings though.

We don’t really have water to say in theses areas. There are very few stream trickles or ponds. There are a few. But they are far and few between. Most times the deer are heading to feed. I have had times I went out in the evening as the deer are up and moving very early in October. Way before dusk. Sometimes I think this is because they want to get to those white oaks before other deer do. But there are so many oaks. There literally all over the place. They can go any direction and be on oaks.

Yes I do sometimes find a HOT dripping oak and they are really on it. But generally it’s like they just can go out any direction and be on feed. The food is everywhere. Even right where they bed.

Many many times I have seen deer. ESP bucks get up in the evening and head straight down the mountain. That is mostly what I see happen.

It just feels like movement is so random. And I cannot figure out if it’s me and I’m doing things wrong or the area I’m in?

I do many times get down wind. Directly. I was re watching The hill country series. Came across Dan talking about the deer facing down wind. And honestly that could be some of my trouble? Maybe I need to try to come in more from the side.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:37 am

Yes, come in from the side. Access is important in that situation. When you're off season scouting, sit in a bed and look down the hill to get an idea of how much they can cover with their eyes, you may be suprised even with leaves on the trees. Also pay attention to the thermals, even if the wind is at their back the thermals and vacuum created by the hill can pull your scent up to them from the bottom of the hill, this shouldn't be news but it can be underestimated. Use milkweed. Some places like that are best hunted last hour or so when the thermal shift is taking over you have to wait till last minute to slip in.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:02 am

Raven13 wrote:I hunt either flat terrain. There are rolls and bumps. And if I’m not there it is mountainous terrain.

I typically try to set up 100yds from the beds roughly.
In later fall end of October on it will be further, it’s dependent on the cover and what I think I can get to without being to close.
-100 yds sounds pretty good. Still id say you should have seen or heard something being that close.

I really try to sneak and be extremely quiet when setting up.

I’m failing at my approach or its where I set up and they are going off the other way after they get up.
-You could be failing in your approach but base don your answers id say you are doing everything you are supposed to do.

I have also tried to set up on doe beds in areas in the mornings to check them coming back in to bed. I figured anytime after 8:30 they would be heading back in to lay down. But it has never worked out. I do mostly hunt evenings though.
-Does can bed in a spot on almost any wind bc there are multiples of them. Maybe try different wind strategies for those. During the rut I definitely hunt wind to back in majority of spots.

We don’t really have water to say in theses areas. There are very few stream trickles or ponds. There are a few.
-(Depending on your location) When you winter scout find the spots that are frozen and they can hold water after rains. A big buck will usually have a water source close by, that could be a seep in the creek bottom or a mudhole that fills when it rains. They know when its there. Trail cams over old mineral sites, that filled w water showed me the bucks always came to get a drink when they are bedded close. With all the water covering every piece of grass they will still come get a drink. I have found pot holes in the middle of a CRP field that fill with water w buck tracks all around it.

Yes I do sometimes find a HOT dripping oak and they are really on it. But generally it’s like they just can go out any direction and be on feed. The food is everywhere. Even right where they bed.
-Yes this is true but I always search for a destination spot! Alot of bucks will make early season rubs in the their favorite acorn patch and they will bed close by. I like sit in the bed, gather the details GrizzlyAdam mentioned and then start choosing a destination spot. He could be able to eat oaks and see Does in the same spot.

Many many times I have seen deer. ESP bucks get up in the evening and head straight down the mountain. That is mostly what I see happen.
-I agree w this. There are many bucks that like to drop off the hill where they have been watching all day. That can be a tough setup or they dont get far enough.

It just feels like movement is so random. And I cannot figure out if it’s me and I’m doing things wrong or the area I’m in?
-The main thing is time of the season and needs/wants. Yes, youre lack of deer could be the main factor but again just simply hunting the wind correctly will get you sightings and action. It could be you are just barely mistiming the hunts or guesses.

I do many times get down wind. Directly. I was re watching The hill country series. Came across Dan talking about the deer facing down wind. And honestly that could be some of my trouble? Maybe I need to try to come in more from the side.

At the end of the day you have to do what works for you! Maybe you are still trying to figure out what that is but for me it took connecting on the first one to get the next light bulb moment. Even though I disagree w myself a little bit - these tactics arent for everyone and they arent for every terrain.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:10 am

Raven13 wrote:Thanks guys.
Many times I just slip in to where I can set up on the bed or bedding area to not spook anything and if I don’t see anything I’m not sure if the deer were there or if they went another direction? Or if I spooked them off. Sometimes I feel as though I’m just failing and failing and not getting any feedback to know if I’m doing things right or wrong.
We have kinda low deer numbers and with thermals and squirrelly winds I don’t know if I’m screwing up or if they just are not there that day ya know?

I have tried to pull this off even on doe bedding areas and have yet to be successful one time. I still have better luck hunting trails or areas with hot sign. I just struggle bringing it together on hunting these beds and bedding areas. I’m not always after monster bucks either so I kinda feel like I’m really sucking cause I can’t pull it off even on scrub bucks.

I have so many locations marked with beds on my on-X maps. Only a few times have I actually bumped the deer off the bed. So I knew they was there that time; but I tried to push it or got careless from lack of sightings. You know how ya get after 3 weeks or 4 weeks and not having any deer encounters you get kinda careless about it or decide to push right in really tight.

That’s why I’m asking cause I just not grasping or seeing it. I know it works but it’s like I’m going through the motions and not actually learning cause I’m not getting on anything or having sightings. So I don’t know what I may be doing right or wrong.

Sometimes I wish I had someone take me out and show me so could see what I’m doing right or wrong. I have trouble applying it and seeing a result. That’s why I had been trying hunting doe bedding to just learn. But they are even eluding me lol. :think:

A LOT of bedding areas are transitory, so it can be confusing, especially if you’re dealing with low numbers. The main importance is that there has to be a deer there in the first place to hunt. Then the tactics come in to play.

Finding and analyzing bedding areas will tell you the where, but the hard/skillful part is getting the when down, because you have to be there, during the short time a target deer is using that spot. Also, the deer could be there, but just decided to stay bedded longer, or a bear came through earlier, or....

In Most areas it’s pretty easy to find beds/bedding areas, but the vast, vast, vast majority will be empty at any given time. If you’re striking out at seeing deer while hunting them, I would concentrate more on finding Fresher sign than I have been, or becoming more selective on the spots I’m choosing.

In the mountains of Pennsylvania you might have to walk
Fifteen miles, to find something worthy of hunting , but your time will be better spent finding a bedding area that’s good now, then what you thought looked good while off season scouting.

Taking changing/current conditions into account, should steer you where to spend your time walking/scouting. For example if it’s been a dry year, concentrate closer to water, but if suddenly it rains for two days, be flexible and more willing to check around a more preferred food source, that’s further from water..

If you’re hunting a deer early season near an access area and a group of sloppy hunters moves in, the deer will likely adapt around them and you, if those hunters came through the area you’re hunting.

The main thing is be adaptable and selective. Hunt only high conviction spots, where you truly believe a target is nearby.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:10 am

Raven13, when you say you "slip in and set up," I'm assuming your hunting vs. observational sit. You might want to consider bringing the binoculars and find a spot that you can observe from a safe distance to see how the deer are using that area before throwing a hunt at it. It would be ideal to get a few observational sits in before the season starts. Think about an hour in the early morning and the last hour before dark in the evening when thermals are dropping. Thermals are far more consistent than wind direction which might help with the inconsistency of movement you're experiencing. Not a huge commitment unless you live far from your hunting grounds. Good luck to you!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”