Do you pass a buck that meets your goals to extend your season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Re: Do you pass a buck that meets your goals to extend your season?

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 am

For me I set pretty high expectations each year and will never pass one that meets it. That said very rarely am tagged out before Thanksgiving, but even if I am I will spend more time taking my kids to shoot a doe or trap with me or getting my wife and brothers on a deer. I'm ate up with it and always scouting or playing the chess match. Doesn't really matter if I'm the shooter or my wife or my brother is.

Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:55 am

Here in MO we get 2 buck tags, and I was drawn for a managed hunt that allows me to take a third. I h ad the same situation last season, but only filled one buck tag and one antlerless tag all season. My season starts Sept 15th, and my managed hunt starts Oct 4th, so I'm hoping by some miracle I can fill my first buck tag before october 4th... the second of my normal tags isn't able to be used on a buck until opening day of our rifle season in mid november... so I can't even fill my last buck tag before then.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:11 am

If it meets your goals I would consider that your target buck then I would absolutely take it. Never know if you will get another shot. If it's just a buck that you would be happy with then I suppose it depends on your mood that day.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 am

I feel like this topic is for one buck states mostly. I can kill 3 in WV and 3 in VA so no I’m not passing on something I want to shoot and we eat a lot of venison. That being said I have never had to end a season early and would not want to so maybe this thought would come into my mind in a one buck state. I have tagged out first morning on an OH week long trip. That was the best trip ever because I then had a week to scout and it really paid off in following years.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am

I agree this is probably geared more to the 1 buck hunters at least how I interpret it. But for grins how bout this…..

For simplicity sake let’s say you set a public land goal for 110” 8pt or better. While summer scouting u locate one that meets the criteria and you form a plan. Opening day comes and he doesn’t show but while checking your camera your jaw drops when u see a giant 160 class 10pt. The next day you hunt again, 20 minutes b4 dark that 110” buck finds his way in your sweet spot on the 2nd day of the season. You got 1 tag what u gonna do????
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I agree this is probably geared more to the 1 buck hunters at least how I interpret it. But for grins how bout this…..

For simplicity sake let’s say you set a public land goal for 110” 8pt or better. While summer scouting u locate one that meets the criteria and you form a plan. Opening day comes and he doesn’t show but while checking your camera your jaw drops when u see a giant 160 class 10pt. The next day you hunt again, 20 minutes b4 dark that 110” buck finds his way in your sweet spot on the 2nd day of the season. You got 1 tag what u gonna do????

That’s an easy one. He would live another day. ;)
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:05 am

I personally don’t see any reason to pass a buck that would meet my own goals. If I meet my goal, I can always take the next step and set a higher goal for myself the following year. I also think even if you are taking a buck early season, there is always a lot more to learn. Scouting in season is the best scouting in my opinion. You are able to verify when a buck is using a specific bedding area at a specific time. I also like to hunt does.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:40 am

I dont pass.

When I lay eyes on it and it gets my blood going, I'm going to kill it.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am

My standard are pretty high so if he comes by I’m killing him day one or last day. I can still sit in my stand and watch the rest of the season unfold.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Great answers! Thread just peaked my interest is all. No such thing as a wrong answer. Guess my mind just works differently. Someone mentioned they can spend the rest of the season scouting and learning. Very true, you can learn a lot. Here’s what I learned for my area. When u locate a sure enough giant deer on public you better go after him with everything you got. Those other bucks will always be there. But it might be another 20 years before you locate another giant. So I’m passing and going after Big Moe.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:40 pm

At this point in my life there’s no way I’d let a nice buck walk. I have the opportunity at bonus buck tags on the military instillation, and if need be, I’m just a couple steps from Indiana.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:41 pm

No. I shoot first and wonder about it later. Granted I haven't shot anything impressive, but I shoot deer. If I got a tag in my pocket for you, your in trouble if I get near you. I sometimes think I should eat a sandwich before I go hunting, but I don't and I go hungry.

Shootem and eatem
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm squeezing the trigger and not thinking twice about it
equal opportunity hunter
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:28 pm

I’ll come at it from a different angle: is that buck big enough for me to spend all night gutting, dragging, and quartering it out? If not, I’m not going to mess with it, I’ll take a video and enjoy the memory. If I’m after meat, I’ll shoot a smaller doe on public that eats better and doesn’t crush my back or joints as bad. If I have to hesitate and consider if it’ll be worth the hassle, he ain’t big enough and I’ll pass. So first or last day, if he’s worth the effort, I’m going to send it.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:06 pm

I wish I could kill a buck opening week. Then I could just relax and focus on squirrel hunting. I can always go after bucky again during gun/muzzy season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”