Hunting close to dogs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

Hunting close to dogs

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:40 am

There is a large WMA around here that has a huge portion, centrally located withing the WMA, that allows dog hunting. Anyone had success hunting close to dog hunters? Thinking the non dog hunting areas close may present some interesting opportunities.

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Hunting close to dogs

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:26 pm

As someone who has to deal with dog hunters every year.

My advice is to avoid them like the plague. Like dont even remotely put yourself in there path, dont park where they can get to your vechicle without being seen by someone, dont hunt the areas they have their dogs running are you will have to deal with trashy attitudes and this is my woods personalities.

There are a few good dog hunters, that is a fact but the vast majority your going to meet are plain trash, thief's and outlaws.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 am

In the mind of a dog, there are no still hunt areas. So just understand that it all gets run with dogs. Some accidentally and some intentionally, especially towards the end of season after the dog area is all shot out. They will hit the still hunt areas during the week when pretty much nobody is out and don’t expect FWC to help in any meaningful way if you have a run in.

There are some phenomenal bucks that get killed out of dog wmas, but you have to understand what you are getting into if you decide to try to still hunt around or in the dog areas. Understand that as dog hunters, they have very few options of where they can hunt vs still hunters, so there can be some hostility if you are in the dog area cutting off the bucks their dogs are running , in some areas it is not allowed(I know you aren’t suggesting you are going to do this, but figured I would mention for the sake of the thread). But if the entire wma is open to both dog and still hunting then it is just how it is. I would always offer to split meat with dog owners if their dogs were even remotely on the buck. Or in the same block at all for that matter.

If I am going to hunt around dog pressure, understanding how dog hunts operate and how bucks stay alive is important. I would want to hunt a larger block that has no roads or firebreaks running thru it. Large enough that a buck can make circles around the dogs without crossing any. They will cross deep water and/or walk in the middle of creeks or sloughs to keep the dogs off their trail. Use that stuff to your advantage.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:35 am

Sounds tough. Luckily this wma is close to 300,000 acres in size and less than half can legally be dog hunted. So I know I can find some quiet areas.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:As someone who has to deal with dog hunters every year.

My advice is to avoid them like the plague. Like dont even remotely put yourself in there path, dont park where they can get to your vechicle without being seen by someone, dont hunt the areas they have their dogs running are you will have to deal with trashy attitudes and this is my woods personalities.

There are a few good dog hunters, that is a fact but the vast majority your going to meet are plain trash, thief's and outlaws.

X2
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:35 am

I had two trucks of coon hunters in my prime spot the night before opener. We killed tow nice bucks in there the next morning.

Found a pile of skinned coon carcasses the walk out the next morning too.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:10 pm

76chevy wrote:I had two trucks of coon hunters in my prime spot the night before opener. We killed tow nice bucks in there the next morning.

Found a pile of skinned coon carcasses the walk out the next morning too.

WV?
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:12 pm

I’ve been hunting Central Va for 25 years, and 90% of it on pieces where clubs run dogs. Most years I’m able to get a crack at mature bucks at these places by finding bucks bedding close to access where they can monitor hunting pressure.

Some spots they can watch the parking lots, but most bed just close enough to the road that they can hear the trucks and guys and dogs way before any drive is made.

I used to try and get in super early and set up on an escape route and wait for the bucks to sneak out. It worked okay, but I’ve had more success going on a weekday when the clubs weren’t running dogs. I still get in really really early, at least 2 hours before sunrise. Then around 9 or 9:30 when the bucks figure the coast is clear, they get up and move naturally which is a better way to try and get an arrow in em.

It’s tricky, but I don’t have a choice, it’s the reality of where I live. The bucks don’t have a choice either, they get used to dodging the drives. Usually they do that by knowing when and where the clubs are hunting.
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Also, don’t park or walk near the access they are monitoring! Few things get you feeling beasty like walking a 1/2 mile down the road at 3:30am and then hopping the ditch and setting up near the access everyone drives down.
Strategically Inefficient

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”