“Worst” part about becoming a Beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jurist

Re: “Worst” part about becoming a Beast

Unread postby Jurist » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:31 pm

The worst part, is knowing all of those years you wasted hunting like everybody else and getting the same results that everybody else did.

"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Jurist wrote:The worst part, is knowing all of those years you wasted hunting like everybody else and getting the same results that everybody else did.

:clap:
Strategically Inefficient
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Trying to talk to your normal "weekend warrior" hunting buds about deer hunting after you start learning these tactics?

Honestly the first thing that came to mind is time management. Realizing that you have to sacrifice quite a bit of time to learn this way of hunting, and take that time away from other hobbies or even obligations like family in order to gain some ground with learning this style. You just have to prioritize though, and make the time.

Personally, I love to fish, but I've replaced almost all of the time I would normally spend fishing with scouting and gear prep this year. Even to the extent of not spending as much time with my dad who wants to fish all the time, which I know is kinda messed up. But I have that fire in me to get better and get to that next level and learn how to kill better bucks, so that overtook everything else this year. It's become hard to pick up a fishing pole when I have deer on the mind everyday.

Edit: BUT let's be honest, there are much worse things to be obsessing over and spending time doing. The outdoors, and bowhunting makes me a better person, and keeps me sane, I know that much.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Lockdown wrote:Worst part about becoming a Beast? Knowing that even in sub par areas there are some very big deer that exist. Knowing that I have what it takes to track them down and kill them. Knowing that I won’t ever be able to spend the amount of time that’s necessary in order to kill giants consistently.

I’ve been getting out once a week, but even that’s not enough. It takes a serious amount of time to stay on them.

X2 on the time. Agree 100%. Usually don’t get done with everything I want scouting. Just go with what I know when season gets here. All I need to do is get it right one day during the season
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Hookslinger nailed it. Trying to talk to the average Joe public land hunter and not coming off jerk off. Thinking beastie is like a different language.
Persistence is undefeated.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:44 pm

1. I think I’ve fallen into over analysis over the years vs just going with my gut.
2. Bouncing around too much. I’ll hunt a spot knowing there is a good one in the area, but then from all my scouting I know of too many other spots so I’ll completely abandon area 1-20 as I hunt vs bouncing around in that one area I know one is living.

I guess those don’t qualify as the worst part but more the pitfalls I’ve run into.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:38 pm

Not sleeping.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:14 pm

The worst part for me.
Is when I learned thermals.

And I realized their is very few spots i can sit and not be busted. Their is only specific times and winds I can sit which spot.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:45 pm

Its an interesting question, and I bet the answer changes over time... If I told you what the worst part was on a hunt, it might be facing certain fears, it may be the exhausting work and effort, and it may be the day after day without a glimpse of your target, or maybe the termoil in your head trying to over think whether or not your doing it right... But later on those are the makings of the stories and memories that make being a beast so great... So, I kinda love what I hate... Its the adventure of proving you can withstand the storm, but in the end, its the last hunt with your arms raised in victory, kneeling over the top of you deceased prize, that makes you realize its the things you hate, that you love the most.
jhdavis444

Unread postby jhdavis444 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:30 am

If there is a downside it's got to be dragging deer out of the nastiest thickets and holes. But at least I'm dragging deer :D
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:34 am

Listening to some young hunter hate on deer hunting because their mentor says they must sit in Uncle Bob's stand from before daybreak to after sunset or they are a terrible hunter that will only get a deer by being lucky. Meanwhile I get up late and walk around all day scouting to pick the hot spot to sit for the evening and am comfortable all day and enjoy the entire time spent hunting, every last minute.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:51 am

Definitely the drag outs. I am hunting nasty, tough to get to stuff nowadays, and being rewarded for it. No way around it, the drag outs suck when you are in the middle of them! Burning muscles, wet boots/feet, freezing hands, etc. But, as Dan said eloquently, looking back on it, will never forget those drags and smile when thinking about them.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:57 am

Jurist wrote:The worst part, is knowing all of those years you wasted hunting like everybody else and getting the same results that everybody else did.

This pretty much. I joined here in '14 and am just starting to take it seriously.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:57 am

KPillinois wrote:Well i don't qualify as a Beast but i have several buck stories for only bow hunting deer since 2015:

2015-16: River bottoms public land. I was so excited to find deer so easily that i kept filming them every time out while waiting for a really big one. They busted me and i saw no deer the rest of the season. Got zero deer.
2016-17: River bottoms public again: Hunted same area again all season in a heavy preset stand. Seeing no deer, i put out a Tinks Miss November doe decoy on the field edge and got into some tall grass in November. Got in the grass, grabbed my bow and turned around and a 6 point buck was 15 feet away staring me down. Built like a muscular race horse. I tried to hold still and look at the ground but once i had to take a deep breath and he saw the steam from the cold air come out of my mask he was gone. Also walking a transition area midday close to the Mississippi i saw a huge rack moving thru the tall grass and didn't know exactly how i should handle it so i turned around and walked away. No deer again in 2016
2017-18: New public land, shot a spike buck on Oct 28th and got Tactacam footage....did me a Euromount myself... found some does and saw a really huge buck at a far distance.
2018-19: public doe kill, saw the big buck from a distance again.
2019-20: public doe, saw the same big buck again (i'd say monster, 300 pounds maybe) while hunting from the ground. He came sneaking thru a saddle late evening and must have winded me and tore out of there. All i saw was parts of his huge body. He is dark gray colored so i knew it was him. Slob fatty looking body.
2020-21: public doe kill, missed a 2nd doe when my arrow deflected off a limb in thick brush. Missed an 8 point buck from less than 15 yards Halloween Day after having my camera mounted on the wrong side of my climber and could not get video started. Tried to shoot and immediately lower my bow to see the impact and it missed just under the buck... could not have screwed it up any worse but really wanted my first big buck on video anyway. Pouted for 1 day, learned a lesson and then got over it.....Set up 2 weeks later for the monster but could not get in the tree i needed due to straps not big enough. Moved to another tree which at least let me observe a doe area and monster walked right by the tree i should have been in 100-125 yards from me. Got me a 10 pound hang on and 4 Beast sticks with aiders at end of season, and I scouted after season for the first time ever, and I am watching Dan's videos over and over along with BBO Hill Country and Hunting Farm Country Bedded Bucks DVD's i bought. Scouted 2 new public lands to add to my so i don't overhunt my areas. Planning to have some video for you all by end of 2021-22 season.

That pretty much sums up my whole career.

It seems like you came a long well, I can see based on how you described your experiences you did become a better hunter as time went on. Much more strategical in your sits.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:17 pm

When I found dan back in 08 I was already doing everything wrong, but gravitating to the thick and nasty. Everytime I get poked in the eye with a sharp stick in the swamp I blame him. The worst part is knowing how hard you have to work. I still dont kill big bucks, but I refuse to scout. Hate that he wants me to get eaten alive by mosquitos to boot. Thought sharp sticks in the eye was enough. Hate that guy for all this wetness though.
I should make a shirt for him that says dan sucks for making hunting hard.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”